“Hot, fights and bad management”

Manchester Marriott Victoria & Albert Hotel
Ranked #24 of 119 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 10 May 2014 via mobile

Our room was nice however the air conditioning was broken and the window would not open so very hot. About midnight we went to complain and at the same time a fight was breaking out in the corridor. I called reception to alert them and 12 police arrived and the manager asked me to help identify the people involved ! Clearly I'm not particularly keen as a guest to have to get involved and it's dangerous to do this.

The air con and shut window issue was ignored and I felt best to keep quiet and the door closed.

Very unprofessional management team and badly maintained hotel.

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank Bridtoltobyk
VA_Manchester, General Manager at Manchester Marriott Victoria & Albert Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 May 2014

Dear Bridtoltobyk,

I would very much appreciate the opportunity to discuss your review and concerns, please could you contact me directly at the hotel at your convenience?

Kind Regards,

Richard Grove

There are newer reviews for Manchester Marriott Victoria & Albert Hotel

Reviewed 10 May 2014

I stayed here for 2 nights for business trip. It was conveniently located in the city centre to where i needed to be and close to bars and restaurants. It is about 20-25 mins from Manchester airport.
On arrival check in was easy and efficient. My room was lovely and bigger than expected, although the bathroom had an odd smell and then a very over powering bleach smell as if they had tried to clean up the smell. The bed was comfy and had a great night sleep.
The restaurant staff were great and friendly but the food prep and service was very slow. I had the rump steak and it definitely wasn't worth £22 and had to send it back!! But a few other things on the menu were nice. Breakfast in the restaurant was good and most options available. Room service breakfast was a little slow too.
Overall i would stay here again as the room and location was good for a 2 night stay and what i needed. Would probably try eat out somewhere else for dinner if you have time.
I had a room on the 3rd floor which was nice and quiet.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on a higher floor
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled on business
Reviewed 6 May 2014

staff on reception were efficient without being friendly. our room was lovely - lots of rustic brick and wood - sympathetically converted.breakfast was just ok.

hotel very close to spinnigfields - great place to eat and drink.

be aware of booking this hotel if Manchester united are playing at home - as hotel was full of quite noisy fans!

• Stayed: March 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank CatherineF2012
Reviewed 6 May 2014

My boyfriend and I decided to book a night here as we were going out in Manchester for dinner and drinks and found a good deal on lastminute.com. For the price we got an excellent value deal - the hotel and room felt very luxurious and it was very conveniently located near to Spinningfields and Deansgate (although maybe not so convenient for the following day's shopping trip into the city centre, but not impossible if you don't mind a bit of a walk). The staff member who checked us in was professional and polite and our first impressions were great. The room was recently refurbished and was lovely to be in - everything worked well, the shower was nice, and the bed was large and comfortable. The only complaint we really had was that the pillows were not that good, although we didn't bother asking for others and I'm sure they would have been replaced had we asked. Breakfast seemed pretty extortionate so we just headed into town in the morning instead. Overall we enjoyed our short stay, just wish it was for longer!

• Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple
2  Thank poppy_g_15
Reviewed 6 May 2014

We stayed here for two nights this past weekend. Our room was 102. The staff were very nice at reception on arrival. We went for a walk after settling in. When we came back, I had a shower to discover that there was no hairdryer in our room. I phoned reception to have this foreign guy who wasn't at all nice tell me there was for definite a hairdryer in my room. He told me where to look. It wasn't there. I then phoned a second time to say there was not one. The lady who answered me came up to check. She then sent up a man to check again. I felt I was under suspicion of unwiring it from the wall. I also thought, when they see me going out, they will probably go up and check my bags. Unbelievable but true. That's how I felt. However to be fair they did go out a buy a hairdryer so in that respect they did do their best. I didn't expect them to do this. The first night I had a very disturbed sleep. The walls are not sound proof. I could hear the couple next door. At first I thought they were outside my window but they were next door. Could hear their conversation very early in the morning.

The bar is nice though and comfortable. Location is very convenient to central Manchester. The hotel has a real old world feel and I liked the book shelf bannister effect on the first floor. But if I am honest, I wouldn't stay here again. I will be looking for a place offering better quality of sleep in the future.

Room Tip: Check to see there is a hairdryer in your room before you have a shower
  • Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
VA_Manchester, General Manager at Manchester Marriott Victoria & Albert Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 May 2014

Dear Bridmoni,

Thank you for taking the time and trouble to write an online review following your recent stay with us.

I'm sorry to hear that you had some trouble with noisy guests in the room next door, I am pleased to hear that you appreciated our attempt to recover the unfortunately missing hair dryer in your guest room.

Thank you for also commenting on the positive ambience in both our lounge bar and the hotel in general and I am pleased that you agree that our location is excellent within the city.

If you are to stay with us again please contact the hotel directly so that I can ensure we are able to restore your faith in our product and service, something we pride ourselves on.

Kind Regards,

Richard

Reviewed 5 May 2014

We stayed at this hotel this weekend in room 125 which is a standard double. As I have a disability I had requested a room close to the lift, but they ignored this request and put us at the end of the he corridor.

The room itself was lovely with natural decor - brick wall and wooden beamed ceiling. However, there was no hairdryer and it was extremely small. I did see a room opposite (126) and it appeared to be larger.

The hotel lobby is lovely. The bar area is lovely and relaxing and offered great service.

We ate at the hotel for breakfast which was a bit if an issue as it was busy. The manageress was offering people to sit in the bar of they didn't want to wait for a table. We had to ask the times for tea and even then they brought us coffee. The food was ok but the juice selection was poor as they kept running out of stock.

Overall, an OK hotel in a great location. Shame about the small rooms and poor breakfast experience

Stayed: May 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 2 May 2014

I think you will all agree that 1st impressions really do matter. So after arriving at the hotel for the girl on reception to tell us " room only " when she clearly did not know and had not checked, was totally unprofessional and uncalled for. We booked the room including breakfast through Booking.com and had the invoice with us to produce on arrival but were not given the chance as she preferred to eventually check herself. Already my wife and I had a bitter taste in our mouths but there was still more to come. On arriving at our room we noticed trays of room service scattered outside one room, and on our 2 day stay remained there untouched.
I don't really need to go into the missing hair dryer in the room that apparently could not be replaced, so my wife left with wet hair, however I will say I could have saved myself a fair bit of money and got more professional service at the Travel Lodge down the road.
If my Managers let their staff speak to my customers in this way then they would not be Managers for long, as the front of house staff are clearly lacking some serious training in customer service. (No Managers response required thank you.)

Room Tip: Book directly through the hotel as booking with an Agent is obviously frowned upon at this hotel.
  • Stayed: April 2014, travelled as a couple