“Bad Management - 2 Bad Nights experience”

Manchester Marriott Victoria & Albert Hotel
Ranked #22 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 18 June 2014

not centrally located, unprofessional management!
I arrived 11:20 pm
I booked superior guaranteed and confirmed 2 separate beds room which was not offered !!!
I was offered a standard room with one bed which I rejected and ask for an upgrade they claimed no suite was available and asked me to call customer care (careless management). I called.. after being waited for 2 hours I got a suite which they claimed no availability (untruthful management)
I was provided a little tiny bed (almost same size as ambulance bed) so I slept at sofa!!!
next day I asked for the room I booked with two separate beds which I got eventually. @ 2nd night A/C was not working and room was like an oven!! management brought a fan to solve the problem which of course would not solve the problem (confused management) as they either fixed the A/C or I should move to another room.. so I moved to another room @ 5 am !!!
I complained for these two bad nights..
I got rewards points equal to one standard night !!
compensation was less than expected from Marriott as compensation should be equal value of losses or more (management is far from understanding business)
finally, Management is not professional to meet your expectation of a Marriott Hotel.

• Stayed: May 2014, travelled with friends
4  Thank Hussain H
Write a ReviewReviews (1,895)

Reviewed 17 June 2014

Stayed here 12th to 13th June with friends in order to visit the ITV studios (Corrie backstage tour) and shopping.
Booked woiith Bookings.com and recieved upgrade to include parking & breakfast on arrival, very welcom!
The present road works and road closures due to ITV's World Cup extravaganza do cause a little difficulty in finding the place but you just need to follow the diversion signs all the way.
The hotel is in the best position for everything as the studios are 2 minutes walk and Deansgate and the Arndale centre are also just minutes away therefore we had our car parked at a very reasonable rate and forgot about it until we checked out.
Impressive hotel in converted warehouse with many original features retained which added to the charm of the Hotel.
We had a very comfortable spacious room with excellent facilities.
We also caused a little problem when we checked in and wanted to use a debit card but I must admit it was sorted out straight away and we were allowed to charge food etc to our room after a phone call from the restaurant to the reception.
There was also a wedding on at the time of our arrival on Friday but this did not cause any problems apart from the restaurant being empty except from the 4 of us and 1 other couple, however the service was a little slow considering the amount of customers but the waitress was very pleasant and we all agreed the food was very good , we had the lamb, good portion size and very tasty. Starters and deserts all were very good too.
Breakfast was very good with plenty of the usual cold and excellent cooked choices.
We found all of the staff to be very helpful and could not do enough especially the Concierge who at 5 pm on Saturday painstakingly tried to get a table for 4 at a restaurant for 7.30 pm that evening and eventually managed to get us in to San Carlo that was simply excellent and obviously THE place to eat in town, so a big thankyou to him.
In all a very comfortable stay in a surprisingly well run Marriott City Hotel.
We would not hesitate to return here or recommend a stay here, as long as these standards are maintained.

• Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 June 2014 via mobile

I took my mum down for her 70th birthday. Decided to get a nice hotel to stay in and as we arrived we were very pleased.
Polite and very helpful staff.
Upgraded to a king size bed as it was a special birthday.
We were really tired when we checked in, if i hadnt been i would have returned to reception.
Jugs were on the floor outside the room door and when i walked around it was clear the room had not been finished. Not hoovered and bathroom floor had lots of hair and a broken mirror. The bed was clean and had been changed but the rest of the room let it down. No hairdrier as stated online.

In general this is a lovely hotel and we were probably just unlucky that day. Can not fault the staff at all as they were fantastic!

I will return to this hotel in the future.

• Stayed: June 2014
Reviewed 14 June 2014

We stayed in the hotel for several nights whilst on a trip up to Manchester for soccer aid. All i can say is this has to be one of the worse Marriot hotels I have ever stayed in. The receptionist were not very polite to us especially when they found out we had no credit card and wanted to pay everything on debit card or with cash during our stay, it was almost as if we were treated as second class.
Our room was nothing special and the bathroom still had cream cleaner in the bath and hair on our fresh towels. On the Saturday night we were kept up until 3am by a wedding/private function going on of which we were not made aware of on arrival.
The food was poor for a four star hotel my duck pastrami was grey and old and my girlfriends asparagus and poached duck egg was tiny for what we paid. Her lancashire hotpot was stone cold despite waiting about 40 minutes for it and the potatoes on top of it were still raw. Dessert was nothing to rave about and i was especially dissapointed with the cheese board which might as well have been cheddar, stilton and brie.
My biggest irk from the trip has to be being charged £16.95 per person for breakfast which was neither worth the money or very hot nor tasty.
The only plus side for the whole trip was the two waitresses Amber and Lissy who were both polite and friendly and always willing to help with anything we wanted. Safe to say we will not be coming back again!

Room Tip: Use a different hotel
2  Thank BenjaminCS
VA_Manchester, General Manager at Manchester Marriott Victoria & Albert Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 June 2014

Dear Benjamin CS,
Thank you for taking the time and trouble to complete an online review following your recent visit to our hotel.What a shame that you didnt take the opportunity to discuss any of these concerns with us during your stay, so we could have acted upon these and resolved any issues as and when they arrived.
Really surprised to hear your comments regarding your room, as they have all just been refurbished to a really high standard and the feedback we have received so far has been excellent.
Delighted to hear that you felt Amber and Lissy looked after you well.
Kind regards,
Richard

Reviewed 14 June 2014

Just had a one night stay while attending a function in Manchester.
Difficult to find the place due to current road works but got there in the end.
No parking spaces out front but there was a wedding on at the time, no worries as the hotel offers secure overnight valet parking for a reasonable fee.
Welcome and reception were good and within seconds we were on our way to our room.
The place is a converted ware house and thankfully they have kept a lot of the original features, from wooden beams, cast iron columns etc.
The room was spacious, clean and well furnished.
We were only on the second floor so our view was quite poor.
The bathroom was good, light and with quality fittings.
The bed was very comfortable indeed.
The AC was working well and easily controlled.
We ordered room service as we were in a hurry and it arrived promptly with a £5 try charge!
However the food was good quality and value.
We didn’t have breakfast as time was pressing but checking out was fast and straight forward.
By the time I’d signed the bill, the chap had brought my car round.
Really impressed, all staff were polite and courteous.

So will be staying here again, much prefer this to the Hilton on Deansgate which has now descended to the level of a travel lodge.

Room Tip: Perhaps ask for a view.
Reviewed 10 June 2014

after a one night stay here we thought it was a great hotel . check-in was faultless, receptionist was so helpful, polite and pleasant.
hotel is very cosy and comfortable, and within great reach of town (10 min walk)
if there would be one minus point it would be that the shower head is too low in the bathroom to wash your hair so you have to kneel down in the bath ! but feel this is probably the nature of the design of the hotel with the low beams and ceilings
would definitely stay here again

Reviewed 10 June 2014

I had stopped in this hotel several times when it was a Le Meridian, so expected excellent service was expected and I've got to say it did not disappoint. We arrived a few hours early for check in, the receptionist was very friendly and told us to call an hour later to see if our rooms were ready and leaving our luggage offered us straight away without asking. All the rooms were ready by 3pm a good hour before official check in. All the staff smile and say hello, when you walk past them. The deluxe rooms are large and beautifully decorated. I was a bit disappointed that the references to Granada tv programmes had gone. Beds were comfy and towels nice and fluffy. The bar area is a very high standard, if you are feeling naughty and want a snack their chips are scrumptious. The only downside is our room 245 was above where the staff meet outside on their breaks & 2 members of staff at 1am were having a loud conversation. We didn't have the windows open and could still heard every word. I did call down to Concierge and it did stop. We had a fabulous stay and will definitely be back, I would like to sample their afternoon tea. Also we had the fabulous hotel for £69 a room, which on a busy weekend in Manchester was great value and cheaper then the budget hotels in the same city.

Room Tip: Don't have any rooms that overlook the goods inward as this is were the staff take their breaks...
  • Stayed: June 2014, travelled with friends