“Comfortable and clean, but no wow factor”

Manchester Marriott Victoria & Albert Hotel
Ranked #25 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Blackpool, United Kingdom
“Comfortable and clean, but no wow factor”
Reviewed 31 August 2009

Check is was quick and easy as expected and the public areas are very nice. The room was spacious and clean, if a little rough around the edges. Does not have the new Marriott decor and my room looked in need of a bit of a refurb. Having said that, it was definitely not shabby and the bed was very very comfortable. The bathroom was very clean, but no walk in shower, just over the bath.
Staff were all very friendly and polite.
I ate in the bar as my girlfriend was not that hungry. I ordered my meal and just a portion of potato wedges for her, but when the food arrived, the wedges were served underneath my chicken. We had to ask for a plate and separate the food out ourselves. The food was ok, but like everything else here, no wow factor.
Maybe I'm being harsh, this is not a bad hotel, but there are better Marriotts, and better hotels in Manchester.

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (295)
Gloucestershire
Reviewed 24 August 2009

We booked in for a weekend and absolutely loved the place. The location was perfect - close enough to the centre of Manchester to be able to walk, but far away enough to have peace and quiet at night.
We were greeted by the friendly concierge who parked our car as we checked in. Car parking is £13 a day for secure hotel parking but there is an NCP car park close by. Check-in was professional and courteous and we headed up to our family room.
The rooms were beautifully appointed with warm colour schemes and comfortable, clean beds. There were wooden beams and ceilings so lots of character, (the hotel used to be a water mill) and the air conditioning was an added bonus!
Breakfast was self service and excellent. There was an extensive range - from full english breakfast, to fresh fruit salad with yogurt as well as smoked salmon with freshly cut bread. The breakfast staff were attentive and friendly - a great start to the day. Although the hotel does not have a fitness centre attached, as a guest, you do get free membership to Bannatyne's Health Club, just a short walk away!
Whenever I am in Manchester, I will definately be staying here again!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled with family
wexford
Reviewed 17 August 2009

I had to leave this review on the back-boiler for a while so I could give a balanced overview.I'm still not sure what to make of this experience.
There's one over-riding feeling that hasn't left me which is:a hotel being fussy and charging for the fuss while not making the stay any better for it.Sure,the concierge at the door is polite,the check-in was painless,the room was so-so (but clean) and generally the hotel is pleasant and the service was okay.It's just that every little oppurtunity is taken to free you from your money.It reminded me of those late night garages that you're delighted to use (it's 4am-no ciggies,milk,tea) but add charges for the privilege.
It would be unhelpful of me to make comparisons with other places I've stayed especially in Spain where for the same price I could've REALLY lived it up!And I only stayed here because I came with friends who use the Marriott V&A whenever they come to Manchester.I'll just come out and say it:"It's too expensive and not my type of hotel".
This happens when you go away with friends and this is why pathogen travels solo.
Nothing about this place really bugged me yet nothing really endeared me to it.If I were to be picky then I'd say that the shower wasn't designed for a beanpole like me and the plumbing was noisey.The Breakfast was great but at £17stg it should be.Bar prices were mental too and that's from someone used to Irish prices!That said it's a fairly relaxed place and the staff are pretty decent.If I could say something about the immediate environs then they should make an effort to clean up the little canal wharf in front of the hotel.It could be a really special little ammenity.Granada tv studios are across the road and peering through the gate you get a nice peak at "The Street" and Steve McDonalds street cabs office.This was a hightlight for me.No irony intended.
Deansgate Street (designer shops,bars,clubs,restaurants) is around the corner and there's a nice atmosphere to the place.Brushed steel and glass mingled with red brick victorian architecture.The Science and Industry Museum is very close and was another highlight as was a daytime(!) wander round the arches and canals opposite the museum on Castlehaven Street (I think...).
All in all it's safe,clean,pretty comfortable and you pay for all that.I didn't really get a chance to get chatty with the staff as I normally do so I don't know if they are obliging with local information.
I love Manchester and will be going back but would be in 2 minds about staying at the Marriott Victoria and Albert Hotel."Put t'kettle on Mavis,I'm spittin' feathers!!"

• Stayed July 2009, travelled with friends
essex
Reviewed 17 August 2009

We were booked in to stay in a Deluxe Room with King Size bed.... checked in (with a very helpful receptionist) only for 10mins later to be called up that they'd double-booked our room. Due to a wedding in the Hotel, joining rooms were given to families, so they booked us into a Junior Suite (327) for the same price and paid for our parking + free bottle of wine.

As i used my Tesco Clubcard vouchers to pay for this hotel stay, a 2 night stay in a Junior Suite cost us the room service (£40).

The food was lovely, the staff friendly - this was truely the best hotel we've stayed in!

It's a nice touch that you can order the breakfast for your room if you do not fancy going downstairs to the restaurant + it's available until 11am!

Thanks Marriott!!!

• Stayed August 2009, travelled as a couple
wigan
Reviewed 10 August 2009

great location and staff very friendly and helpful, reception area smart but room old fashioned, bed very comfy and big, trouser press didnt work, room clean but felt it very basic for the price it was no nicer than much cheaper hotels i have stayed in. The corridors were the same. Breakfast very expensive so we went to a nearby cafe which was lovely for a fraction of the price.

Poole, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 July 2009

Stayed at this hotel as I was going to a gig at the MEN Arena - got a good price for the room so was pleased. Lovely hotel a little out of the way, away from the hustle and bustle of the city centre, yet only a pleasant 10 minute walk to the centre. We walked home from the MEN which took about 15 mins at a drunken pace! Hotel bar not excessively priced either, and nice location next to canal. Would definately stay in again.

• Stayed June 2009, travelled as a couple
UK
Reviewed 20 July 2009

We booked this lastminute and got a two nights for the price of one deal so i was perhaps more forgiving than if i had payed full price. Breakfast was and some table overlook the canal which is pleasant , the staff were also attentative. My only point of annoyance was being falsely charged for car parking but this was immediately corrected at check out once i told the desk staff. I wanted to point this mistake out as it seems a previous reviewer had a similar experience.

Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple