“Not As Good As Expected”

Radisson Blu Hotel, Manchester Airport
Ranked #15 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 30 July 2012

We booked a Day Room here at the Radisson Blu as we had been on an overnight flight from the Dominican Republic. As we live in Cambridge it seemed a good idea to get a few hours of proper sleep before commencing our journey.

The rooms can be booked from 9am - 5pm, so this seemed the ideal solution. We asked for a wake-up call to our room for 3pm. We got to our room around 9.10 got down in bed and dropped off fairly quickly. However, about 10.20am the phone rang and we didn't get to it quick enough. Thinking the call was to the wrong room we settled back down to sleep but again around 12.30 the phone rang again. We were not very impressed, so my husband rang down to reception to see what was going on. He was told there must be an error with the phone as there were no messages for us. By now we thought the whole situation was a waste of time and decided to have a shower and check out.

At check out we explained that we were not very happy to have been disturbed twice when we had paid £60 for a room from 9am - 5pm so we could sleep. We were told the only thing they could do was to offer us a breakfast each the next time me stayed at a Radisson.

Neither of us could be bothered to argue, and we just wanted to get home now to our own bed. Needless to say I doubt we shall ever stay at a Radisson again if that is the best they can offer.

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple

Reviewed 30 July 2012

For an airport hotel, we found the Radisson not just clean, comfortable and good food - it was extremely convenient. A couple of hints, it is not very obvious how to get to the to the hotel - we wandered a bit before finally asking someone. The hotel is attached to the airport by a skywalk - so you can walk (no need to wait for a shuttle). We arrived on an early flight and the reception accomodated our early request to check in. If you want to take in Manchester City Centre - it is a short walk from the hotel to reach the train station. The cost of the train ticket is reasonable and only a 20 minute ride into the center of town.

Room Tip: The rooms are themed (Italian, Asian, etc.) - pick a theme, it is a fun concept.
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
Reviewed 29 July 2012

This is probably the best hotel at the airport - and the dearest.

Staff very helpful
Rooms well appointed, clean and spacious.
Good breakfast
Free Wifi
Immediate access to airport
Good gym & pool

Service in restaurant very slow, food average to good - very pricey (Steak with no acc £27 July 12).
Car park small.

Room Tip: Ask for a room overlooking Airport (not noisy)
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
1  Thank Stephen W
Reviewed 28 July 2012

Stayed here for 3 nights for work. It was nice and clean and staff helpful. The room was big and the bed was massive. Cleaned eveyday and the sheets changed on day 2. Thee bathroom was clean and nice design. Room service was quick and the food was lovely. The chek in is on the 3rd floor which is attached to the walkway through to the terminals. The car park is £12 per night, which i wasnt told about. You have to take your car park tkt to the reception desk and they stamp it. However, they failed to say that £12 would be added to the room and payment would be due on check out. I dont have a problem with the £12, it was not being told i had a problem with. Nice hotel and i would stay again.

Stayed: July 2012, travelled on business
Reviewed 28 July 2012

I stayed at the hotel for one night prior to catching a flight the following day. The first impression of the hotel is that it is very modern, spacious and clean. Reception is straight off the air-conditioned walkway that connects the terminal buildings and train station. I arrived at 19:30 and reception was very busy, there was confusion over where the various queue’s were and some people were getting agitated. That said every desk was being utilised and despite the sheer volume of people I only had to wait around 10 minutes to be checked in. Due to the number of people moving around the hotel calling lift can be a bit of a problem (this is something I’ve experienced before here) and it took a good few minutes to get a lift up to my floor. The staff were friendly and the ever-present cleaners always spoke to me through out the stay. The Hotel is very quiet, relaxed and has a chilled out vibe to it.

The room it’s self was spotlessly clean and very spacious. The bed was huge and looks about the size of 2 queens pushed together. In fact when you get in you realise it is 2 beds pushed together with what felt like a board in the middle. The furnishings in the room were quality and a lounge chair was provided with coffee table. There was plenty of room to work and have a laptop on the desk. There is free WIFI in the rooms (well done Radisson blu) which is fast and stable and the rooms have loads of wardrobe space. The bathrooms are large, bright and very clean with heated floors (nice!). If there is one area I felt a bit let down it was by the TV in the room. I was expecting an LCD TV with plenty of options. Unfortunately it was a dated CRT TV with a disappointing choice of channels. I have to say though if I had the choice of Loads of TV channels or free WIFI I would take the WIFI every time!!

The Gym on the bottom floor is very well equipped and is a membership health club in it’s own right. It has plenty of CV equipment and even a spinning studio. There is a good selection of resistance machines but apart from dumbbells the free weight options are limited. There is a pool and treatment rooms if the spa scene is your thing. The instructors in the gym were very friendly and willing to offer help and advice where needed. One thing to note is that the gym opens later on a weekend (8am) than it does in the week (6am). That is something to be aware of if you are wanting a session prior to a morning flight during the weekend.

I had breakfast in the hotel which despite some of the comments on here is not too badly priced. The restaurant is nice, spacious and overlooks the airport taxiways. The selection is wide ranging and the service was very good. The staff at the hotel from reception to restaurant are very international which fits in really well with the fact this is an airport hotel and adds to the ambiance. As for location, well it doesn’t get any better than this! It is attached to the airport walkways so you can get to any terminal or from the station. Staying here really does take the rush and hassle out of flying from Manchester. Literally check out, walk out of the doors and within a couple of minutes you are checking in for your flight!

Would I recommend it? Yes most definitely but it all depends on the one thing I have not mentioned yet, the rate. At full price I would not stay here because the level of convenience is just not worth the expense. But if you book in advance and via the hotel web site there are some good deals to be had which make the hotel really good value for money.

Room Tip: Ask for a room over looking the airport apron for the ultimate 'I'm going on holiday' fe...
  • Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank Sykofever
Ian R, General Manager at Radisson Blu Hotel, Manchester Airport, responded to this reviewResponded 31 July 2012

Greetings from the Radisson Blu Hotel Manchester Airport. Thank you very much for the detailed review and I am glad to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and found the location of the hotel very convenient. I look forward to many more of your stays with us.

Reviewed 28 July 2012

Feel I may have been over generous with a "very good" but it was better than "average". We stayed one night before a flight to the USA, in an Oriental theme standard room.

The place is in the airport so was a great position for us to get quickly checked in early the next day. Fast and friendly check in, decent sized room, spotless with a view of the terminal and planes. Comfortable, small old TV and aging furniture. Good bathroom, modern with decent shower.

Ate in the restaurant - the more formal one (which was relaxed in any case) good, friendly service, excellent food - risotto, steak and puts. Expensive but what can you expect at an airport hotel.

Alarm call as requested and swift check out. Overall a good option if you need to stay at the airport. Didn't visit the pool but heard it was nice.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with family

Greetings from the Radisson Blu Hotel Manchester Airport. I am delighted to hear that you found the hotel and the service very good. I look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel in the not too distant future.

Reviewed 28 July 2012

After reading negative comments, i was anxious about my overnight stay.

All I can say is room was excellent 928, facing runway. Beautiful room.

Reception staff pleasant! Concierge staff were helpful and courteous. Food and staff in Runway Brasserie were good too. Only minor niggle, my hubbys carbonara portion was small but thats just being picky.!!! My fish and chips was delicious.

I can wholeheartedly say my experience was positive and that i will definitely use Radisson at Manchester airport again.

Thanks to all staff!!

• Stayed: July 2012
1  Thank Scotland2011

Greetings from the Radisson Blu Hotel Manchester Airport. . I am very pleased you have enjoyed your experience with us from start to finish and look forward to welcoming you back soon.