“Not particularly impressed...”
Review of The Pendulum Hotel

The Pendulum Hotel
Ranked #46 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 27 November 2013

I stayed at the Days Hotel in Manchester 2 days ago, checking in on Sunday 24th November and out on Monday 25th.
I booked through a Wowcher, according to which I would get a night's stay, plus a meal and breakfast, for a value up to £163.30. To be honest, I find it hard to believe that the whole experience could cost that much, and surely I would have been a little annoyed had I actually paid that for my stay...

The hotel itself is quite modest in appearance. Location is not bad, as you are able to walk to the center of Manchester quite easily.
The venue is fairly big, if a bit like a maze, with lots of stairs and rooms just on the ground floor - apparently it is used fairly often for conferences?
When we arrived, nobody at the front desk greeted us - the quite glum-looking staff member just gave us our key and information about chek out/meals etc and quite oddly did not ask for our ID/credit card to check on our booking. I don't believe he cracked even the littlest of smiles during the whole exchange.

We then went up to our room, discovering it was quite small and basic, with quite cheap pillows and a TV with a fairly dated screen menu. The bathroom is small but seemed clean enough thankfully. The room also seemed clean, although it does look old and tired, and the carpet on the floor just doesn't look like the easiest thing to keep clean...

Overall it was nothing absolutely remarkable at all. As we got back that night, I checked our bed and found quite a few hairs both on the bed sheet and underneath! I took photographic evidence of that.
We had been to a concert and were very tired to after getting rid of the ones we could see we went to sleep...however I didn't use the cover provided as I am very squeamish about these things - I slept with my coat on! The bed cover also looked quite cheap and it was torn at one corner.
The bathroom was exhibiting some odd behaviour - once you flushed the toilet the water kept trickling down with accompanying noise- it went on ALL NIGHT until we figured out you need to press the flush button twice for some reason to make it stop. We were not told about this, I am guessing this is due to the facilities being old...

The final complaint I have is about the breakfast, which was not bad in itself - basic, but with fairly everything you might need if you don't feel like anything particularly fancy. However, as I was going to get some orange juice, I noticed a gentleman had stuck his hand in to the juice jug trying to pick up a piece of fruit, watched by a waiter who once the gentleman was done just proceeded to pour more orange juice in the same jar his hand had been. Needless to say this put me off helping myself to any more juice...really unhigienic!!!

They kept our bags for us after we checked out, but as we left nobody asked us how our experience had been or said anything apart from a bored and uninsterested 'bye'.

I really don't think I will be going back to the Days Hotel.

Room Tip: Check the bed for hairs and make sure the toilet flushes properly...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
DaysMCC, Front Office Manager at The Pendulum Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 10 December 2013

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments with us.

Firstly i am sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us, i was very surprised to hear that you were not greeted at reception with a friendly team member. We pride ourselves on providing the best customer service possible and we all enjoy meeting the many guests that come through our doors everyday and enjoy talking to everyone.

Also i was surprised to hear that you found a rip in the bed linen so i looked at the photo you have taken and i can see why you think this is a rip however this is a hole created in all hotel room bed linen which is to make the beds easier for the housekeeping staff to ensure your bed is made quickly an efficienly to pull the duvet up into the sheet.

Should you wish to discuss your stay further with us please do not hesitate to contact myself directly at the hotel.

0161 955 8000

Write a ReviewReviews (1,730)

Reviewed 27 November 2013

Small room with comfortable double bed pushed against the wall on one side, fine for 1 but would not have wanted to share. Good amenities inc. that the hairdryer fixed to the wall was not working and a spare had been left on the side. Felt safe as door could be locked and there was a security bolt. Good shower. Noisy from the Mancunian Way when window was open but not noticeable once closed. Television was fuzzy.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your comments regarding your stay with us, i am sorry to hear that your room felt a bit small for you, we do have other rooms availiable subject to availiablity.

I do hope that you will visit us again soon,

Reviewed 27 November 2013

All the facilities I needed were in the room.
Room 309 is next to an exit door to the stairs, which on a few occassions were noisy as people entered/exited the times were.
The bed was a little to firm.
Nice touch was chocolate bar

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your comments. Our rooms are in the process of being refurbished at the moment. We are happy that you liked our little chocolate in your room and we do hope that you will come and stay with us again shortly.

Reviewed 25 November 2013

We recently stayed at days inn Manchester.six of us came for a family wedding. We walked from the station (about 8 mins) The staff were helpful, friendly and gave us good directions! we could walk into centre very easily. Good location. The room was small but had everything we needed. The breakfast had a good time limit and was fantastic!!! Would definitely recommend. A fab stay!!!

Review collected in partnership with Days Inn
DaysMCC, Front Office Manager at The Pendulum Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 November 2013

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your lovely comments.
Nothing pleases us more at the Days Hotel than to hear a guest or family have enjoyed their stay with us so much. We do hope you will all come and see us again soon, we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

Good location for weekend break in Manchester. Family of 5- all adults, booked 3 rooms which were fine. Excellent full breakfast included. Ate all other meals out. Big Church Night In Worship Tour at Audacious Church with Leeland & Martin Smith was Brill. Also visited Christmas markets.
Staff at Hotel, helpful and friendly. Would stay here again.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for leaving us your feedback regarding your recent stay with us,
I am so pleased to hear that you and your family enjoyed your family weekend with us.
We do hope that you will all come back and visit us again soon.

Reviewed 24 November 2013

The only good thing about this hotel (or should I say motel) is its staff. The are very friendly and helpful. The rooms are tiny and have have a low ceiling. They made me feel claustrophobic. They are badly decorated and the TV is outdated with minimum choice of channels. One of the lifts was out of service for my whole 4-nights stay which created a lot of hassle in getting one. No one to help you with your luggage through check in and check out.

The absolutely worst part is the room service. I had to call reception about 5 times in a period of 25 minutes until someone pick it up and transferred me to room service (There is is no direct number to them). Then I made my order, waited an hour and called them back and they have forgot about it! They said they did not record my room number which I remember stating twice when I ordered!! The order came and they promised me a complimentary drink which I have not received. The next day I tried to call room service again with no success so I ordered from domino's instead.

I booked the room with half-board included however dinner menu was a SHAME. The options are very limited and the food is tasteless. To be honest, it looked like dog food. Breakfast was OK with good options.

The cleaning lady did not change our bed sheets for two nights. Wifi in rooms is strong and good. Bed is comfy.

Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave us your comments regarding your stay with us.
I am so sorry to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us, I am surprised to hear that the room service was not what you expected and i assure you i will be looking into this further to ensure it does not happen again. Also i will be passing your comments regarding your room onto the Housekeeping Manager.
I do hope this will not stop you from staying with us again soon,

Reviewed 24 November 2013 via mobile

The location of this hotel is perfect if you're going to the Manchester Apollo. Just a short walk away and easy to get to.
The hotel is spotlessly clean and the staff are very friendly and helpful. Didn't get to try the restaurant out but looked and smelt nice. Rooms are a little on the small side for me but if you're looking for somewhere to just get your head down for the night then this is perfect. Rooms are clean and extremely tidy and nice ventilation from the window which opens out a good amount. If attending an event at the Apollo again would definitely come here. Just perfect!!!!

Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends

Dear Guest,

Thank you for your lovely kind comments, we do have a great location being in the heart of Manchester city centre. I am so pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to welcoming you back to stay with us.

Once again thank you for taking the time to give us your feedback.