“Good base for weekend stay with very helpful and pleasant staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of The Pendulum Hotel

The Pendulum Hotel
Ranked #48 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Sheffield, United Kingdom
“Good base for weekend stay with very helpful and pleasant staff”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2014

We booked through hotwire for last weekend and only paid £60 for two adults for one night room only, but of course only found out we would be staying here after booking.

We were happy with this arrangement however as we knew we would be in an area not too far from where our friends were stopping.

The hotel receptionist even encouraged us to leave a review on Trip Advisor, so hear it is …

Arriving in a flap after foolishly misplacing the booking confirmation, we were welcomed by a friendly chap who checked us in very efficiently and had a good knowledge of the hotel and local area. He even took the trouble to use google to find us the answers to our questions and gave us a map of the area. He also later ordered us a taxi which arrived in no time at all.

We were also asked if we required a newspaper in the morning and/or a wake-up call which we politely declined as this was not required.

The hotel reception area also offers guests a free copy of the Manchester Evening News and has various magazines and information leaflets available. There is even a coffee shop in the hotel entrance.

A £25 pre-authorisation was taken from my credit card on arrival but as I managed not to incur any extra charges during my visit this was released when I checked out.

The hotel itself is located just a short 5 minutes’ walk from Piccadilly Railway Station (did not hear any train noises) or just off the A57(M) Mancunian Way if arriving by car. The hotel is also close to Canal Street and although I didn’t see a car park onsite there appears to be several reasonably priced car parks in the near vicinity. The hotel is located opposite the University of Manchester buildings.

Our room (531) on the 5th floor was easy enough to find using the two lifts located next to the restaurant. I read somewhere that the hotel used to be a halls of residence for students which the surrounding buildings also appeared to be.

I reckon this probably explains why the room and the bed was a bit on the snug side for two adults. However as we only were in the room for a few hours it wasn’t that much of a problem and there is probably not a lot they can do to alter the room sizes to be fair. The walls were also a little thin but didn’t stop us from sleeping.

The room was clean and the room attendants also seemed friendly.

The room itself was very well equipped with TV, plenty of tea and coffee, clean towels and bedding, free shower gel, free wifi, ironing facilities and an hairdryer.

The shower was good and powerful but did spill out onto the bathroom floor which we managed to mop up without any fuss. I don’t know why all hotels don’t design their showers better?

Our room overlooked the courtyard of the university grounds which was quiet on the Friday night / Saturday morning. Check-out time is 11am which also enabled us to get some much needed rest after a heavy night sampling the many delights of the city centre.

The security at the hotel also seems to be taken quite seriously as when we arrived back at 4am the doors were locked and we had to ring the bell. The same receptionist who had checked us in then promptly appeared to check the guest’s hotel passes before allowing us into the reception.

I can’t comment on the hotels food as we booked room only and were not hungry enough the following morning to indulge in breakfast; however plenty of people looked to be enjoying the restaurant.

We were also told that room service is available 24 hours a day.

There was also an impressive dangling ball in the hotel reception which is something to do with gravity if I remember correctly and has also attracted royal visitors.

There also looked to be numerous and impressive conference facilities at the hotel and in fact a conference was taking place just as we left which suggests that the hotel is probably a good option for this type of visit.

In conclusion, we paid a fair price, were happy overall and in our opinion we would return and recommend to others visiting Manchester City Centre.

Room Tip: Unsure whether all rooms are the same or not but as stated in review they are a bit on the smallish...
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
DaysMCC, Front Office Manager at The Pendulum Hotel, responded to this review, 29 March 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for your review. You have covered all aspects of your stay and I am particularly appreciative of your comments about our friendly hotel staff. It is always hugely motivating when one takes the time and trouble to acknowledge the staff concerned.

I am very pleased to hear you enjoyed your stay with us and we look forward to seeing you again for your next visit.

Best wishes

Front of House Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (212)
  • Polish first
Malmo
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

On the plus side: Free Wi-Fi and it worked well, much appreciated! Very comfortable bed, I slept better than I had in ages! Very clean room, I have problems with allergies and hotels are usually a problem for me, but this was the first time I didn't wake up with a stuffy nose or swollen eyes. Teapot was clean, nice little selection of tea and coffee, much appreciated.
The downside: VERY small room! I expected more for that price, almost felt claustrophopbic in there. The toiletpaper holder was broken. Should have been fixed before a guest checked in. My UK adaptor broke so I went to the front desk to borrow one. They didn't have any?! I took for granted that a hotel has adaptors, they always do in the US, and definitely should in the UK too. Had to go out at 8 AM to try to find a shop that sold those.
Also, all the power outlets in the room were at the desk, I would have liked one near the bed as I prefer to sit in bed with my laptop or charge my mobile & use it as my alarm clock. Also - very little room to put makeup and other things in bathroom. All in all a little bit too pricey for the size of the room.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled solo
Review collected in partnership with Days Inn

DaysMCC, Front Office Manager at The Pendulum Hotel, responded to this review, 30 March 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review from which I was pleased to hear that overall you enjoyed your stay with us. Your constructive feedback is very much appreciated as it helps us to keep focused on what is important to you and I will be passing your comments on to the appropriate manager.
Please be assured that all comments are acted upon and used to improve the products and service we provide to our guests.

Holyhhead
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2014

If you are looking for a comfy bed do not stay here. The double bed was very very hard. We booked a double room and was given a double bed and a camp bed which my friend slept on. Not great when your 6ft.... The breakfast was very nice and the staff were welcoming. location was great. I wouldn't stay there again due to the sleeping arrangements that were offered to us.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends

Dear Guest

Thank you for your review and feedback. We very much appreciate all comments as they help us to focus on what is important to our guests. I was disappointed to hear that you did not enjoy your stay with us and would like to assure you that all comments are acted upon and used to improve the products and service we provide to our guests.

Should you wish to discuss this further please do not hesitate to contact me directly at the hotel.

Haydock, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

I've just enjoyed a 2 nights stay at the Days hotel. The rooms, although a bit small, were very clean and modern with everything I needed. Breakfast was very good, I can;t comment on the evening menu as went out, however I did have one of their snacks for lunch yesterday (chicken & bacon club) and it was very tasty and filling.

The staff were welcoming and always pleasant. Ben behind the bar provided an excellent friendly service each night for a lot of us thirsty conference goers.

I would definitely stay there again.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Dear Guest,

Thank you for taking the time to leave your comments, its great to hear you enjoyed your time with us.

We hope to see you again soon.

Kind Regards

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

Staff were helpful and friendly enough. Hotel was quite nice. Room had not been properly cleaned before we arrived and they forgot to service it whilst we were there too. Breakfast was pretty good. The newspaper I'd ordered failed to arrive. Room walls are very thin so in the morning I was woken up by slamming doors and noisy neighbours. Still, all in al it was ok and location was pretty good.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple

Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time to write your review, I was disappointed to hear of the issues you experienced during your most recent stay with us and I would like to apologies for any inconvenience caused.I am very sorry about the noise caused by the other guest during your stay.

I would like to assure you that all comments are acted upon and used to improve the products and service we provide to our guests.

Also i will be passing your comments regarding your room onto the Housekeeping Manager.

Leighton Buzzard, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 March 2014

Compared with other hotels in Manchester this hotel is cheap. The staff were very attentive and the room small but adequately furnished. Bed quite firm. The food however was a disappointment, although cheap, so you get what you pay for. Nevertheless I did not eat the cooked breakfast which did not look appealing. An individual tea pot should be provided for breakfast. Overall the dining experience ( food not staff) let's Days down.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business

Dear Guest

Thank you for sharing your feedback regarding your stay with us. Guest satisfaction is important to us and we regret our hotel did not live up to your expectations in some aspects of your stay. We rely on you, our guest, to let us know how we are doing and how we can better meet your needs.

We have taken note of your valuable comments and these shall be taken into consideration in our efforts to continually monitor and improve the quality and services we offer.

Thank you again for for posting your comments.

Harrogate, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 March 2014

Me and my wife stayed for a Saturday night, and we're initially a bit nervous due to some reviews. However, anything negative is unjustified. The service was great, the staff impressively friendly, and the room was fine. You get what you pay for and it was just right for the two of us. Considering its location it was very quiet and perfectly placed for Manchester centre. The breakfast was pretty good too.

Like I say, you get what you pay for and we had a thoroughly enjoyable stay.

Room Tip: Considering its location, we would recommend you ask for a Quiet Room.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
DaysMCC, Front Office Manager at The Pendulum Hotel, responded to this review, 17 March 2014
Dear Guest

Thank you for taking the time write your comments on Trip Advisor. We are pleased to see the fantastic score and you nice review of your stay with at The Days Hotel.

We hope to see you again soon, kind regards,

Lucy