“Dirty kip”
Review of Monroes Hotel

Monroes Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Manchester
Monroes Hotel
Ranked #75 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 8 May 2013

When I booked this hotel over the phone I asked for an ensuite bathroom as I have a stoma bag due to cancer of the bowl they told me over the phone that all rooms where ensuite so I booked over the phone they asked me to post them £20 for a deposit which I didn't I was told on the phone that the room was £27 and when I got there it was £37 as I didn't send the £20 in the post anyway I paid the £37 and when up toy room to find out that the room wasn't ensuite so I went back down to the bar and told Michael(the owner) that I think you's give me the wrong room but then I was by Michael that none of the rooms where ensuite but than had no choice but to stay there bit never again

• Stayed: January 2013
1  Thank Jayothebhoy
There are newer reviews for Monroes Hotel

Reviewed 8 June 2012

We wanted a Friday night out in Manchester so booked this hotel because of its excellent location close to Picadilly station and walkable to some great bars and cafes. Thats why it gets 3 out of 5! unfortunately i wouldnt stay there again as the location and the breakfast the next morning are the only pro's. The downsides that i didnt particularly like were:
- no way of booking apart from phoning. they dont have a website and any websites mentioning them do not take bookings on their behalf!
- no way of confirming your booking apart from posting in £10 cash deposit??!! i got around that by saying i was calling from overseas! the owners will only take cash payment as they do not have credit card facilities?!
- we got a twin room as no doubles were available. the room was clean and spacious but the noise from the trams screeching and tooting was HORRENDOUS!
- no ensuite and the bathroom (shower and toilet combined) was through a couple of doors. I felt nervous about venturing to the loo in the early hours of the morning in just my dressing gown in case i bumped into guests coming in after a later night out than ours!
- the instructions for operating the shower were the most complex i think i have ever come across and not great to try and figure out after a night on the town!
a lot of these things would be very easy to put right and then i think it would be a great place. lets hope that the owners of Monroes join the 21st century soon - get a website, get credit card facilities, take online reservations, and put some double glazing up!!

Room Tip: ask if they have any rooms away from the tram noise!
  • Stayed: May 2012, travelled as a couple
4  Thank LT1411
Reviewed 28 May 2012

was in manchester for the rugby magic wknd on saturday staying in hotel international next door,,deciced to to go tot he soccer aid sunday and stayed in this hotel/pub for the night .was very suprised on how spacious and clean the room was for the price ,good breakfast also nxt morning all for 18 pound a nite ,if going to manchester and looking for a place to just get your head down i would recomend this ,not the hilton but for 18 pound cannot go wrong ,will go again when decide to stay in manchester ,, good location and friendly plce .

• Stayed: May 2012, travelled with friends
2  Thank mark_lj_harrison
Reviewed 20 April 2012

For my job I travel the UK and spend a lot of time in hotels and B&B's, this has to be up there as the worst I have ever stayed in. I was overcharged for the room, it is advertised as £18 but got charged £25 per night. The beds were very uncomfortable, springs of the mattress were ever present! Bad location if you want a quiet nights sleep as the location is next to a busy road and the trams. To add to this the shower was terrible, and I was told one morning that I would have to be up before 10am the next day to change rooms, this was something I wasn't told when I booked or checked in and my job involves anti social hours. Overall I wouldn't recommend this property to anyone.

• Stayed: April 2012, travelled on business
2  Thank Alex L
Reviewed 18 March 2012

Myself and my fiancé were staying in Manchester in another hotel. We popped in to Monroes for a drink and were fascinated by all the Marilyn Monroe memorabilia everywhere! The staff and customers were all very welcoming. We also learnt about Frank 'Foo Foo' Lamarr there's a portrait of him on the wall. The pub was very clean and you couldn't fault the customer service at all! We didn't stay at the hotel but we spoke to one of the customers who was staying there and he said he couldn't fault his room so therefore I'll put 3.

• Stayed: March 2012
Reviewed 21 February 2012

Single traveller, 30£ cash per night as the only room left was a family one (4 beds) on the 2nd floor (I believe single rooms are cheaper).
The bedroom was clean and had it’s own shower cubicle, TV, heating, towels and toilet soap. Good english breakfast, huge collection of Marilyn's memorabilia all around the place.
I couldn't stay longer as to enjoy the pub but it looked real nice to have a pint in such an atmosphere.
The hotel is ideally located just next to Piccadilly train station.

• Stayed: February 2012, travelled solo
Reviewed 9 May 2011

Contractors pub/ hotel can't fault it what do u want for £18 a night? The ritz? !!!. Clean, tidy,good breakfast. Second time I've stayed here in three weeks. "mint"

• Stayed: May 2011