“"Send £20 note by post as deposit..... We don't take credit card"”
Review of Monroes Hotel

Monroes Hotel
We can't find prices for this hotel
Our online travel partners don't provide prices for this hotel, but we can search other options in Manchester
Monroes Hotel
Ranked #77 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Chicago
Reviewed 4 June 2006

The most unfriendly and inpolite people working there. When phoning I get this common woman on the phone who is half deaf. it took me half an hour before she understood the date I wanted to stay. Then she left the phone for 15 minutes to find out if it was available, in the mean time I had to listen to deafening music from what was obviously a pub on the background.

Then I got told to send a 20 pound note in the post as a deposit (excuse me? Isn't that illegal?? It's defenitely dodgy!) I told her I'd rather pay the deposit by credit card and I get told she'd only accept cash! What kind of business is this? We are living in the 21 century but this hotel is clearly still stuck in the victorian times...

• Stayed: June 2006
2  Thank A TripAdvisor Member

Reviewed 13 March 2006

myself and a friend stayed at Monroe's overnight on a Saturday night. We came to see a gig in Manchester.

We paid £40 for a twin room right in the centre of Manchester. It was clean and comfortable and the staff were friendly. What more can you ask for.

I would definately stay at Monroes again (if I can get in - theyre always fully booked!)

• Stayed: December 2005
4  Thank Grumblebum
Reviewed 9 November 2005

We had a room that even with 4 single beds felt big. A rather curious glass shower in the middle of the room, the toilet facilities out on the corridor. This hotel represents good value and would be ideal for anyone going to watch football (as we were) or cricket. Fantastic location, you can fall out out the Tram/Train into this hotel.
Do spend some time in the lounge in the evening, great atmosphere.
Breakfast will win no awards, but just a simple good value, well cooked Full English.
We were all made to feel welcome, including my 12 year old son.
P.S You get given a front door key, so no need to wake the landlady up when returning late!

• Stayed: October 2005
4  Thank DetoxRetox
birmingham
Reviewed 20 February 2005

We came here to enjoy a short break with friends and as soon as we walked through the doors, we were greeted with the most un friendly atmosphere we have all ever witnessed! The staff are rude,un hospitable and we felt as if we really were not welcome. We are young adults in our 20s but were treated like teenage deliquents, we are all from good backgrounds and have better mnners then they did! We did not desevere to be treated like this especially after paying over £144 in cash upfront, as they demanded as soon as we walked through the door. we were wisked off to our rooms straight away and told to hurry up as this particular person wanted to clock off. My friends were told to change rooms on the 2nd night as they had double booked and they had to do this straight away, they made it seem like it was our fault. I really could go on, but to cut a long story short we have never been treated so badly before and will not be going back to this place!

6  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Kettering, Northamptonshire
Reviewed 14 February 2005

after reading other reviews, was nervous of wot we may find, on arrival was pleasently suprised. fab bar, love marilyn, clean room, clean bath room, wot more do you expect for price? stayed in hell of a lot worse!!!
ok, bed bit lumpy but with amount of vodka consumed,coped well! I would recomend Monroes, easy access, freindly staff, cheap, clean, good breakfast. shall visit next time in manchester.

5  Thank A TripAdvisor Member
Reviewed 5 December 2003

Okay its not the Ritz but then again I didn't pay the Ritz prices either!

Location:- bang next to the main train station and two minutes from the city centre.

Room was average and okay but above all clean.

Breakfast at 7.30am(my choosing) was spot on!

A decent pint of mild as well.

I'd stop there again!

12  Thank Keffin
Reviewed 3 April 2002

I arrived on good friday for a 3 night stay when i got there they asked me to pay my bill they would NOT take a cheque with a bankers card The room i was in was tacky the duvet were about 10 years old since i had to get cash they knocked on my room door each day to ask for the cash
I would not recomend this Hotel to anyone

8  Thank A TripAdvisor Member