“Good value”
Review of Mitre Hotel

Mitre Hotel
Ranked #93 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 12 July 2013

I booked this hotel last minute for an overnight business trip and got the last available room in the hotel - the 3 bed family room on the top floor. The room had no ensuite, which was made plain when I booked, so I knew what to expect. I was also aware there was no lift and I am a 60 year old with a wheelie full of books to take to my book launch. However, none of this mattered, as I was staying in a hotel which I recalled from my youth as a 'posh' Manchester hotel - 'used to come here for after work drinks when in my 20s.

The Mitre nowadays is a modest but very comfortable city centre hotel. The rooms and furniture have undoubtedly seen better days but I was most impressed with the cleanliness of the place. The bedding was crisp, white and immaculate and the faded, worn carpet well vaccuumed. In fact the cleaning staff stopped by to enquire if I needed any further soap, towels etc and I congratulated these lovely, friendly ladies on the splendid job they do. Note to manager: those angels are worth a pay rise.

The absence of a lift proved to be a very minor inconvenience as the stairs comprise short flights and there are only 4 floors. If I managed, others will. The lack of an ensuite too was not a problem, as there were 2 bathrooms right outside my door and, even though the hotel was full, I found both of them vacant whenever I needed them. They were fairly basic shower rooms, but everything worked OK.

I was on the top floor and had a brilliant view of the city (albeit when I perched on a chair). I paid the princely sum of £49 for the room and consider this amazing value for a city centre hotel in the summer season. I would most certainly stay here again. A previous reviewer complained there was not left luggage facility, but the reception staff will willingly keep an eye on your luggage at the reception desk. I had forgotten the friendliness of my fellow Mancunians until I met the friendly chap on reception.

From the Mitre, you can walk to everywhere in the city you may wish to go. There is a first class Marks & Spencer close by (with a cafe if you like to breakfast out), also Harvey Nichols etc; the cathedral is just opposite and the ancient building known as 'The Shambles' is also across the yard. What I like best about the Mitre is that it is a safe and comfortable place for a woman to stay when travelling alone. Itmay not have retained the poshness I recall from 40 years ago, but it offers great value in a great location and I would certainly stay here again.

Room Tip: Book early for a room on a lower floor. Leave a tip for the cleaners.
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Mitre Hotel M, Manager at Mitre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 24 July 2013

Thank you for your review it gives us great pleasure to know you enjoyed your stay with us,I will personally thank our house keeping team for all their hard work and a thank you on your behalf. I hope you still have fond memories of the mitre and once again thank you for your kind words we appreciate it .

Reviewed 1 July 2013 via mobile

Positive points
• Excellent location in center of town.

• Really friendly staff especially the woman on reception on Friday.

• Residents bar open until 5AM.

• Buffet style breakfast good value at £5 with plenty of choice.

• Pleasantly surprised at the size of the room.

• Massive TV.

Let downs

• Some places in need of renovation and decoration ( this is happening in areas so not a major issue).

• Complementary papers would be nice with breakfast.

• Noisy cathedral bells on Sunday morning ( hardly the hotels fault!)

I would recommend this hotel as the staff are friendly, the location is excellent.

Old building with so much more character than your run of the mill budget hotel.

• Stayed: June 2013
Mitre Hotel M, Manager at Mitre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 July 2013

Thank you for your review I was happy to hear you enjoyed your stay with us, our team work hard towards customer service and it is good to know you found them really friendly. The hotel is under new ownership and is in the process of refurbishment, both bars and eating areas have been renovated and the rooms are next on the agenda. Some of the rooms have had work done but as you can appreciate we are a hotel in the heart of Manchester and are always very busy, we hope to complete the rooms in the very near future. Thank you for taking the time to write some very valid points, we welcome all feedback good or bad as your opinion is important to us as we strive to make our guests stay as pleasurable as we can

Reviewed 29 June 2013

If your after a great deal, quirky rooms, comfortable beds and very very attentive staff that smile and make you feel at home then the mitre hotel is the place to go. We stayed in room 6 which faces the cathedral and the view was stunning. Mark Debbie and the other staff thanks for a great stay and you made our anniversary.

• Stayed: July 2012
Reviewed 28 June 2013

I stayed here for one night in June, I was in Manchester for work and would normally stay in one of the much pricier hotels but saw the price of the Mitre and thought I would give it a try.
Check in at the hotel wasn’t so great as I had to stand at the reception desk for ages before anybody came to see me, and I wasn’t offered to be shown to my room or help with my two large bags (which I struggled up the stairs with!)

That aside, the room was ok, I can see what they have tried to do with the décor but unfortunately the standard of decorating lets it down. As the building is very old the floors in the room were hilarious and all seemed to slope down to one corner! Even the bed was on the slant! Important point is though that the room was spacious, clean and the bed was very comfortable. The bathroom was the same as the room – very poorly decorated but again clean and large with a good shower.

I overslept in the morning and missed breakfast time, but the lady at reception went to the kitchen and managed to get me a full English which was nice of her. The breakfast was delicious and the restaurant in the hotel is quite pleasant with large windows.

Location is fantastic! You are within walking distance of everything. I go to Manchester regular with my job and will definitely be staying at the Mitre again, yes it’s a bit wonky and the decorating is questionable but its also full of charm, clean and welcoming and at a quarter of the price of a Premier Inn or Novotel you can’t beat it!

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 26 June 2013

I stay here a lot with friends, my most recent visit was last month when over at Man Utd. It is not full of football fans by the way, and thats why I book it. I love my football but also love central manchester and the vibrant pace of life. The Mitre is right in the centre of all of this linking the Northern Quarter with Deansgate and beyond. The staff are very attentive, the breakfast is good, the bedrooms are basic enough but very clean. It just has a really nice feel to the place. For those enjoying their shopping, the hotel is right at the centre of that too. Finally look pictures of the location, lovely, right beside the cathedral - great place

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 24 June 2013

Fantastic no frills hotel in THE best location in Manchester. I usually stay in one of the larger hotels and pay twice as much for a room - never again! The rooms are basic but the food is good and the staff were absolutely fantastic. Really good value for money and smack bang in the middle of the city. I stayed there on Saturday night with my friends and we had a great time. Major plus was the residents bar open till 5am!!!!

Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 23 June 2013

This a quirky hotel. It has charm and bundles of character, but is not without its faults. The sapcious room I stayed in had modern decor, but was poorly finished with peeling paper. The beds were as soft a giant marshmallow and great for a goods night's sleep. The bathroom was dated and slightly grubby. All in all, good value and central (great for the Arena and shopping) but no Hilton, for sure.

• Stayed: June 2013, travelled solo