“Unfortunately very dirty, not worth the location”
Review of Mitre Hotel

Mitre Hotel
Ranked #92 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 21 November 2013 via mobile

I booked a single room for 2 nights. Hotel is 4 mins from MEN arena and next to the shopping mall and Cathedral but here it ends.
When I entered the room I was about to cry. I have never seen more disgusting carpet with so many stains on it, lock on the door very loosen - I did not feel safe at all, dirty stained walls, crooked floor, so the only one piece of furniture for clothes was about to abort, nowhere to hang your coat or shirts. Light in the room was a joke as well, forget about make up because in this room you will not see.
In every corner there is a suspicious hole in the wall and the carpet does not fit. No curtain, no plate.
There was a stinky bathroom with a bath with a black mould around and dried out toothpaste on the side glass. Again dirty walls.
You can borrow a hairdryer from reception. I borrowed an iron and I was handed something stuck together by a cellotape with a cable broken on three spots - dangerous and against health and safety.
I will not be back. I planned to use the room only for sleep, did not expect luxury but I was scared to touch something and I don't think it is ok even it's a budget hotel.
Restaurant downstairs absolutely beautiful, reception area nicely decorated too so why the rooms was a dump?

• Stayed: November 2013

Reviewed 21 November 2013

we went to manchester xmas market . At lunch time we were looking for somewhere to have something to eat .We looked at three pub menus and liked the look of the mitre best.We were not dissapointed the food we had was excellent.[BBQ]ribs.the placewas really clean and staff very kind and helpful .We will use mitre next time we are in Manchester .

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank biggee_13
Mitre13, Manager at Mitre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 December 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review.
We are so pleased you enjoyed your meal here at the Mitre and have passed your comments on to our chefs. The food is exceptionally good and now that we have added our Christmas menu to our vast range of dishes, you are spoilt for choice.
We hope that you will call again soon and try the Christmas menu, you won't be disappointed!

Reviewed 18 November 2013

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com
Mitre13, Manager at Mitre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 20 November 2013

Reviewed 14 November 2013

You enter by pressing a buzzer on a dirty side door with horribly stained carpet greeting you as you open the door, and clamber up some steep stairs. In a big room there is a counter in the corner thats reception, you simply sign a list they give you a Yale Key. You clamber up more steep stairs with dirty handrail and cheap cord carpet, down a creaky corridor.The web states most rooms overlook Cathedral but mine overlooked a roof 2 meters away, a dirty old single pane window. I went back to reception and asked for a Cathedral view but they said they were full and most had checked in, yet when I signed lst out of 20 rooms only about 4 signatures. The room was awful, like a 70's sea side guest house. No bedside light just one lightswitch, an ugly red rug on a badly stained brown carpet, a "white" duvet cover with stains on it, a sort of desk area made out of a cheap white malamine plank of wood, horrid red stripe material thing down the bed and ugly white large pvc padded headboard. The bathroom was big but just a bathtub, sink, loo, nowhere to put anything, electric shower useless, dirty lino floor with splits in it and cracks in the wall. Trying to sleep everytime anyone else went to toilet or turned on a tap you had loud noises and in morning when others shower get a thumping noise. Rubbish collectors came at 6am outside waking us up. Breakfast room dirty with stained carpet, was very basic but little choice at least a big plate if you like full English. For once I really thought of checking out straight away, but looking around on my phone there was no other hotels available but I kicked myself as a large Premier Inn over the street I could have booked. The door lock is a simple yale so never felt safe or that my belongings were safe as no safe in room, also no hairdryer to dry hair. For almost 100 pounds a night it was very poor value and I cannot recommend it in any way.

Room Tip: If you have to stay here make sure you ask for a Cathedral view.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled on business
Reviewed 11 November 2013

The staff are friendly, the room was scrupulously clean, the towels were pristine, there was plenty of tea, coffee and toiletries and the bed was very comfortable.
There are minor issues that can be improved, such as old lino that needs replacing, or missing lampshades, but the receptionist welcomed my feedback and said that the owners were relatively new and still working to improve things I could see from the obvious care that is going into the place that this is true and so was happy too overlook the things they hadn't got around to dealing with yet.
The full English breakfast was tasty and plentiful and served in a room with a stunning view of the cathedral next door.
Other reviewers are right about the steep stairs - this may not suit people with mobility problems. There was also some noise from the alley way at the side - it may be possible to resolve this if the bar waste is put out at a different time.
I had a most enjoyable stay and would happily return, or recommend it to others.

Room Tip: Higher rooms may be quieter, away from the bar, or the side alley.
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Mitre13, Manager at Mitre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 15 November 2013

Dear guest,
Thank you for your review. As always we take all our guests comments very seriously and working very hard to meet all our requirements and our guests expectations since taking ownership of the hotel. We are looking into the points you made and are also happy that this was an enjoyable stay for you.

Reviewed 8 November 2013

Stayed here for one night, but found it a very friendly and comfortable hotel. Reception is manned all night so no problem getting back late, and the staff were all friendly.
Loved the decor! Could've been a bit smarter in places as the carpet had a mark on it (looked like a burn mark from an iron by the shape of it!)
The bed was really comfortable and nice choice of pillows as well. Large wardrobe (not really needed for just one night but if you're staying longer, a huge plus!)
Lovely view of the cathedral through the window.
Location of the hotel is excellent - right around the corner from the Arndale and Printworks, and only a 15/20 min walk from Piccadilly Train station.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo
Mitre13, Manager at Mitre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 18 November 2013

Dear guest,

Thank you for your comments and we are so pleased you enjoyed your stay here at the Mitre. It is such a perfect location for shopping, concerts and the theatres. We do hope you visit us again very soon.

Reviewed 5 November 2013 via mobile

This hotel is situated in a great location close to most amenities. The staff are friendly and helpful and the rooms are very clean.
However the whole place can do with a makeover. The rooms are accessed by very steep staircases which makes the hotel unsuitable for those with restricted mobility. There is a large flat screen TV in the rooms but ours was plagued by interference. The bathroom was a generous size but really needed redecoration and also no grab rail was provided for the bath and shower.
The bar has a good range of drinks and the service is efficient although the food I ordered was cremated - but I'm sure this was a one off as last time I stayed it was top notch.
Overall the hotel could be much better but it is good value and the beds are very comfortable. There are much better hotels in Manchester but I give it a recommendation despite its shortcomings.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple

Dear guest,

Thank you so much for your review and the comments you have made.
Unfortunately, we cannot install a lift as the building is nearly 200 years old and is listed, but we do our very best to offer our guests the first floor if they have any mobility difficulties. As we are fairly new owners we are still renovating and decorating the hotel to make it the best it can be for our guests. Hopefully you will come and see us again very soon and be pleasantly surprised at all the changes.