“Needs a thorough tidying”
2 of 5 bubbles Review of Mitre Hotel

Mitre Hotel
Ranked #88 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Staffordshire
“Needs a thorough tidying”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 17 December 2013

Great location but the positives really end there. We were lucky in that we got the room for a knock down price. I would have been gutted had we paid some of the prices described in other reviews. The room itself was tatty with a frayed and iron burned carpet. The bathroom was worse. A strange chemical smell seemed to be a failed attempt at covering up something more sinister. The walls were stained yellow in places and there was mould on the ceiling. The shower was a simple over bath one which was either scalding or freezing. My wife refused to use it as there was no window cover. Wall lights over the bed were hanging off and didn't work. The bedside lamp crackled and flickered on and off when touched.There was no plug point near to the kettle so it had to be used on the floor in the bedroom. The staff we met were polite and helpful and the breakfast (paid for separately) was very good value. For the location and price (£33.99) I wouldn't complain but it's not somewhere I would rush back to.

Room Tip: Dont go by the hotels website photo gallery when deciding to book
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Dyserth, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 15 December 2013

Booked the last room on laterooms.com and thought I had had a bargain because of the good reviews and the cost of £94.00 showing rooms that were nothing more than stunning. It didn't include breakfast so I assumed the rate was great for a great sounding hotel. Personally, I found this now to be over-priced and slightly upset with how little back I got from the room considering how much I had paid for the two of us for a single night.

I had picked up my room key and was quite excited having walked through the nice bar area, but when opening the door I was hit by a slanted floor, walls that were marked, floors that were stained and left me nothing more than deflated at the fact I had paid for a room that had not delivered the basic of any guests requirements.

The bathroom was worse by far, the shower was poor and cold, there was no hairdryer to dry my hair and everything in the room seemed loose.. the wardrobe was coming apart, the cupboards were not aligned, the wallpaper was tattered and scratched, the kettle was black insider, the windows were single glazed and this was my biggest bug bare of all. After getting over the rowdiness of people outside on the street at 1am, I was awakened at 5am to hear delivery vans and bin men.

Most people should feel refreshed, but myself and my partner left tired, wanting to go home and for the price I had paid, I find myself nothing short of deflated.

1 Thank Judyg1986

Travellers are raving about these Manchester hotels

West midlands, england
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2013

This little hotel is a great find. The hotel is in an excellent location right next to Manchester Cathedral. The hotel itself is above a nice looking pub with great food. The room was quiet, clean and warm and incredibly good value. I stayed on the top floor in a room with 3 single beds - even though I had booked a room for just one person. I will be reserving a room here again on my next visit to Manchester!

• Stayed August 2013, travelled on business
Mitre13, Manager at Mitre Hotel, responded to this review, 17 December 2013
Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review about our hotel. We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us at the Mitre. We look forward to seeing you again very soon.
Stoke-on-Trent, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2013

Booked this room last minute for a sunday nights stay in Manchester to visit the christmas markets and got a bargin! £25 for the night!! The location was fantastic, staff were friendly and the room was fine, cant complain for the price paid and location...yes there were a few bits and bobs that needed fixing/replacing but its just attention to detail and definately would not put me off, already planning on staying again next christmas!

wakefield
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

just came back from an overnight stay with my sister and cousin to this hotel for the Christmas markets. We had a great time in a comfortable warm room right in the heart of the Christmas action. Our room was on a corner of the hotel with three tall windows overviewing Harvey Nichols and one of the markets and a fourth that overviewed the cathedral. Beds were comfy and clean , bathroom with overhead shower, and heating to melt an iceberg ( we all slept on top of the sheets even though it was December) we found the temperature gauge when we were leaving so we could have lowered it. Breakfast was self service with full English available. We enjoyed our short stay but, we wanted to eat at night in the hotel but we couldn't as it was full of none residents and booking tables is not an option. We would consider staying again.

Room Tip: Ask for a room at the front
  • Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends
Cleethorpes
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 December 2013

We booked a twin room for 2 nights at the end of November. (room 14) The hotel is easy to find and is the centre of everything. The room was £180 which was ok for a central location......until we saw the room. Trailing sockets, grubby carpets, awful beds and the bathroom...omg......
Cigarette burns in the bath, mould around the bath, the shower lever had fell off. We did take into account this was a old building but 4 hrs work by a handyman would rectify most of the issues.
I did e-mail the hotel on my return but received no reply's. I notice on trip advisor the manager responds to the good comments!!!!! Back to the Premier Inns I think....
On a positive note the staff where great.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends
Mitre13, Manager at Mitre Hotel, responded to this review, 9 December 2013
Dear guest.

I am very sorry to hear of your dissatisfaction with your recent stay at The Mitre. Whilst relatively new owners to this hotel, we nevertheless strive for excellence and to give our guests the optimum city-centre experience. It would seem that, in your particular case, we have fallen short of those standards and for this please accept our apologies. I also apologise for our delayed response. Hopefully you will understand that positive reviews are much easier to answer, as they require less investigation.

We are at present attempting extensive (though neither intrusive nor disruptive) renovations to aspects of our hotel though, being a listed building, some are more difficult to execute than others. Whilst we realise this will not rectify the issues experienced during your stay we hope these developments, being carried out with minimal effect to our guests, will encourage you to stay with us again in the future.

Thank you.
Kendal, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2013 via mobile

I can highly recommend the Mitre for a stay in Manchester. Good value for the price and a great location for the City center. The rooms are clean and warm if a little tired but it didn't matter and the staff are great

Stayed December 2013, travelled with friends