“Set your expectations but don't rule this out”
Review of Mitre Hotel

Mitre Hotel
Ranked #94 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 19 December 2013

I booked a night in the Mitre during the Christmas Markets period with a view to wandering around the centre of Manchester then chilling back in a hotel room and not having to bother with public transport, parking hassles etc. The staff were very friendly and we left our suitcase with them with a view to going to the room later on in the afternoon. When we arrived at the hotel at approx. 16:00 we were given the key to our room and ventured upstairs. The room was more than adequate and very comfortable. The building is old but this doesn't detract from the experience and makes the hotel unique, but (there is nearly always a but) there was a Christmas work party being held in the function room directly below our bedroom and although the music wasn't very loud, due to the nature of the building, the tunes, base and lyrics were all audible from our bedroom. On venturing out again (approx. 17:00) we enquired when the party would stop and was informed that it would be complete by 18:00 (no problem then...). Upon returning again for the last time the party was still ongoing. I asked for a room change at 19:40 but unfortunately the hotel was full. I was told the party would move downstairs at 21:00. The party did disband at 21:00 however the music from the pub seemed even louder at this point. I was very stressed at the thought of being awake in the early hours listening to loud music and this, to a great extent ruined my night. However, at midnight the music went silent and the pub seemed to completely shut down...peace and quiet. Had a great sleep and a lovely breakfast.

In summary, if my expectations had been set at the start of my stay that there would be noise until midnight but then silence for hotel guests to rest, I would have been a lot more relaxed and enjoyed my stay much more. This is a great venue for those going out into town for a night in pubs and clubs (with a bar that serves until 4:00) but as a general retreat for rest and relaxation, I wouldn't recommend, hence my rating.

Room Tip: Go on the top floor!
  • Stayed: December 2013, travelled as a couple
Mitre13, Manager at Mitre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 January 2014

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your comments.
As we all know Christmas is a very busy and noisy time of year with lots of parties. Our location is an excellent spot for shopping, concerts etc and also for parties!! It does seem to be a very noisy, but fun time of year. I am pleased that you were able to get to sleep and enjoy our lovely full English breakfast in the morning.

Thank you.

Reviewed 18 December 2013

I booked at the last minute to stay at this hotel, the rate I paid was extremely competitive. I couldn't have asked for a better location - very quaint and beautiful surroundings in the very heart of Manchester. The quality of the room was excellent, complete with nice toiletries - homely room with plenty of character. For what I paid, it's the best value hotel I've had the pleasure of staying in - we had a wonderful, memorable night, we would not hesitate to stay again - many thanks!

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends

Dear guest,

Thank you for your lovely review. So glad you enjoyed your stay.
We do look forward to you staying with us again very soon.

Thank you.

Reviewed 18 December 2013

We booked 3 rooms two normal and one executive. Our room was on the top floor and had an old set of cheap furniture and a very large television which made the chest of drawers sag so much you could not use them. The bathroom had a very small shaving mirror and was not finshed to a good standard. I got up early and got a warm shower my husband tried but there was no water. To pay £98 and not get a shower is unacceptable. All the other rooms we had did not get a warm shower. We had breakfast in the morning and the carpet looked filthy from the party the night before. The food was not great. We did speak to the owner and he did listen and explained that he had spent lots of money upgrading.He took my email and promised he would contact us but we have had no reponse so far.On the plus the reception lady was lovely. The updated rooms look lovely but there are still issues.

• Stayed: November 2013
Reviewed 17 December 2013

Great location but the positives really end there. We were lucky in that we got the room for a knock down price. I would have been gutted had we paid some of the prices described in other reviews. The room itself was tatty with a frayed and iron burned carpet. The bathroom was worse. A strange chemical smell seemed to be a failed attempt at covering up something more sinister. The walls were stained yellow in places and there was mould on the ceiling. The shower was a simple over bath one which was either scalding or freezing. My wife refused to use it as there was no window cover. Wall lights over the bed were hanging off and didn't work. The bedside lamp crackled and flickered on and off when touched.There was no plug point near to the kettle so it had to be used on the floor in the bedroom. The staff we met were polite and helpful and the breakfast (paid for separately) was very good value. For the location and price (£33.99) I wouldn't complain but it's not somewhere I would rush back to.

Room Tip: Dont go by the hotels website photo gallery when deciding to book
Reviewed 15 December 2013

Booked the last room on laterooms.com and thought I had had a bargain because of the good reviews and the cost of £94.00 showing rooms that were nothing more than stunning. It didn't include breakfast so I assumed the rate was great for a great sounding hotel. Personally, I found this now to be over-priced and slightly upset with how little back I got from the room considering how much I had paid for the two of us for a single night.

I had picked up my room key and was quite excited having walked through the nice bar area, but when opening the door I was hit by a slanted floor, walls that were marked, floors that were stained and left me nothing more than deflated at the fact I had paid for a room that had not delivered the basic of any guests requirements.

The bathroom was worse by far, the shower was poor and cold, there was no hairdryer to dry my hair and everything in the room seemed loose.. the wardrobe was coming apart, the cupboards were not aligned, the wallpaper was tattered and scratched, the kettle was black insider, the windows were single glazed and this was my biggest bug bare of all. After getting over the rowdiness of people outside on the street at 1am, I was awakened at 5am to hear delivery vans and bin men.

Most people should feel refreshed, but myself and my partner left tired, wanting to go home and for the price I had paid, I find myself nothing short of deflated.

1  Thank Judyg1986
Reviewed 12 December 2013

This little hotel is a great find. The hotel is in an excellent location right next to Manchester Cathedral. The hotel itself is above a nice looking pub with great food. The room was quiet, clean and warm and incredibly good value. I stayed on the top floor in a room with 3 single beds - even though I had booked a room for just one person. I will be reserving a room here again on my next visit to Manchester!

• Stayed: August 2013, travelled on business
Mitre13, Manager at Mitre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 17 December 2013

Dear Guest,
Thank you for your review about our hotel. We are very pleased you enjoyed your stay with us at the Mitre. We look forward to seeing you again very soon.

Reviewed 10 December 2013

Booked this room last minute for a sunday nights stay in Manchester to visit the christmas markets and got a bargin! £25 for the night!! The location was fantastic, staff were friendly and the room was fine, cant complain for the price paid and location...yes there were a few bits and bobs that needed fixing/replacing but its just attention to detail and definately would not put me off, already planning on staying again next christmas!