“Set your expectations”
Review of Mitre Hotel

Mitre Hotel
Ranked #93 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I booked here very last minute for a competitive rate. I arrived at 5pm on a Sunday evening and left at 7.30am the next morning so didn't spend much time in the hotel. I read a few reviews on here before I stayed there though and was feeling very dubious about it! Just wanted to give an honest review for those in a similar situation to me.

Firstly the location is absolutely first class. Right outside Selfridges and the cathedral (hotel entrance is round the back on the other side from the pub entrance). There is a busy pub right next to it though. My room was overlooking said pub but luckily it was quite quiet on a Sunday night - windows definitely not sound proofed! Staff were friendly enough when greeted and quite helpful when I asked for directions.

No lifts by the way but not too many stairs. I stayed in a single room - I'd read there was no storage in a single room but I had a wardrobe, big chest of drawers and a bedside table so no problems there! The room was very clean, towels and sheets were clean. The carpet is very old but it is a very old building and you shouldn't be expecting 5* standard anyway. Bathroom was nothing special, again quite outdated but clean. Shower was a bit pathetic... Barely a dribble! I read a lot of people saying radiators weren't working but if anything it was too hot when I walked in. Was quite glad of the slight breeze coming in from the windows (again very old building). Single bed was comfortable enough although quite small (maybe I'm just too used to double beds).

All in all I had a pleasant experience. I was there on business purposes and I wasn't in the hotel long so if you're looking for a stop-by then this is excellent for location and basic amenities. I'm not sure I would go for pleasure/holiday but would definitely not rule it out for other reasons.

Room Tip: I was in room 21 - single ensuite
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Mitre13, Manager at Mitre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2014

Thank you for your review, we are glad to hear you had a comfortable stay with us and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

I visited in November 2012 and stopped in a double room with en suite.

Decor was nice and matched well, some things lacked a bit of love and could do with a handy man here and there.

Great view and very spacious. Staff were fantastic and the upstairs lobby was very nice, very glam wag style.

Perfect for hen parties/girls weekends!

Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Mitre13, Manager at Mitre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Thank you very much for your fantastic review. We are so glad you had an enjoyable stay with us and we hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed 3 February 2014

Staff were pleasant enough but there's clearly no leadership. Appeared understaffed initially but by the end of the meal this wasn't the issue. Starter was ok although took a while then after waiting for the main for 20minutes was asked 'are you ready for your mains now?','yes' was the reply then got 'I'll go tell the chef to start it'... We both ordered rack of ribs with hand cut chips...what a mistake! When it finally arrived we wished it hadn't as the ribs hadn't seen an oven only I suspect a microwave and I have never before eaten such substandard hand cut,covered in salt fries only in mc'donalds. The ribs were just warm with a puddle of sauce sitting on top. I had a groupon voucher so had to hand it over whilst stating why we had left the appalling meal otherwise I wouldn't have even paid the offer price for it. There is no 'chef' that would put his/her name to a meal like that. Staff didn't deal with the complaint as expected which just highlighted the lack of leadership even further. Would NOT return to the mitre.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
1  Thank ZenaP0507
Reviewed 2 February 2014

We hadn't stayed overnight in Manchester before and wanted somewhere just to have a nice girly stay, however this was not the case. First of all we were greeted by a young girl on reception who wasn't very professional or friendly (when we came back downstairs after and went to drop the key off at reception, she was in the room behind the desk and didn't come out until we had to call for someone).
The condition of the room wasn't nice at all, it was old-fashioned and dirty, there were patches of mould on the walls and ceiling as well as stains on the carpet. Only mirror they had was a small one above the sink which wasn't good at all for two women trying to get ready to go out, and even then the plug sockets were too far from the mirror to plug hair straighteners/hair dryer in and be able to see yourself. Didn't have a remote for the TV so had to crouch down for five minutes trying to find a channel.
Having a shower in the shared bathroom was never even an option after we saw it. Woken up numerous times throughout the night from boys shouting outside the door. The breakfast wasn't great. And to top it all off when I woke up there was a bug -what kind, I don't know- on the underside of the quilt. When we went to drop the key off and checkout the lady recepitonist (same one we met the day before) said 'Just leave the key on the desk' and walked into the back room, no questions on how our stay was, not even a goodbye. I left here feeling very ready to go home and have a shower, which is the last thing a hotel should make you feel like. We spent £78 for a room which just ended up ruining our overall experience of the visit. Will choose our hotel a lot more wisely next time.

• Stayed: December 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Demi-Leigh D

Dear guest,

We are sorry to hear you have had an unsatisfactory stay with us. As mentioned in our previous review responses, we are relatively new owners and are in the process of carrying out neither disruptive nor intrusive maintenance around the hotel. However being a listed building some jobs are easier to execute than others. Whilst we realise this will not rectify the issues experienced during your stay, we hope these developments, being carried out with minimal effect to our guests, will encourage you to stay with us again in the future.

Reviewed 2 February 2014

Went there with the Groupon voucher, it was our first and definitely last visit, service is awfully slow, some of the staff is rude, too busy with their mobiles to serve customers, food was very disappointing

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Went here on Groupon voucher and was little disappointed because there was a problem with the offer and the manager simply blamed Groupon instead of solving the issue. Although he did assure us the food would be good and it was but I think the long platters it is served on are quite difficult to eat the food off which was a shame as the quality of the food was very good. The decor is a bit shabby and we mistakenly sat near the ladies which did not smell too good. All in all the food did make it an enjoyable visit but get the toilet door fixed and make sure your offers are not misleading After all it is your offer not Groupons.

• Stayed: January 2014
Reviewed 28 January 2014

We stayed here for one night and thankfully had managed to get a good deal on hotels.com otherwise we would be asking for our money back. The hotels web site says the rooms are elegantly styled - this was not the case. The hotel looks nice from the outside but on entering we were hit by the overwhelming smell of the gents toilets. Our room was very poor. Our booking confirmation described our room as looking out onto the city but the windows were glazed and once opened all we could see was a brick wall. The room was so dated, it was dirty - the bed sheets had stains on them! The wallpaper was ripped in places, there were mould patches on the ceilings in the bedroom and bathroom. The bathroom ceiling was actually bulging and there appears to have been a leak from above! The shower rail was hanging off the wall and there were so many holes and gaps in the wall and around the bath it was shocking! The carpet was filthy and stained and our room had an unpleasant odour. The walls are very thin you can hear people talking in the adjacent rooms so not a place to stay if you want peace and quiet. Thankfully we spent very little time in our room however after checking the website today to find the rooms are priced at £84 per double per night I find this appalling as i have stayed in hostels that are so much better than this! Throughout you can tell that the hotel has been neglected. The location cannot be faulted which was the only bonus.

• Stayed: January 2014
1  Thank SJC1414
Mitre13, Manager at Mitre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 2 February 2014

We are very sorry to hear that you have had an unsatisfactory stay with us. As relatively new owners, we are currently carrying out extensive (though neither intrusive nor disruptive) renovations to aspects of our hotel though, being a listed building, unfortunately some jobs are more difficult to execute than others. We have looked into the issues raised in your review and have made the urgent necessary repairs to ensure all our guests a pleasant and safe stay. Whilst we realise this will not rectify the issues experienced during your stay, we hope these developments, being carried out with minimal effect to our guests, will encourage you to stay with us again in the future.