“bit shabby but great location”
Review of Mitre Hotel

Mitre Hotel
Ranked #95 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 20 February 2014

If you ask my children then this is a really fab hotel. They loved the fact it was old and creaky with narrow stairs. The staff were friendly and helpful, the breakfast was good. We stayed in the family room right at the top with a great view of the Arndale Centre. The room was fine and the beds were comfortable. The carpet had obviously seen some interesting times but generally the room was clean. The shower was a cold trickle - warmer if you flushed the loo..... It wasn't expensive and for the location was worth it. We would return.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
Mitre13, Manager at Mitre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 22 February 2014

Thank you for your lovely review. We are glad you enjoyed your stay with us and we hope to see you again very soon.

Reviewed 19 February 2014

I Went on a shopping trip to Manchester,and thought I would treat my husband with a meal. The groupon deal for the Mitre Hotel looked good. The Hotel looked like a lovely old hotel,and I was so looking forward to this treat.
On arrival I thought I had gone to the wrong Hotel,it looked like a cheap cafe inside,with purple side seating and low round tables. We spotted 2 armchairs in a corner with a higher table,and swiftly moved over. The table was better but the chair arms tended to tie you down a little.
On ordering our food at the bar,we were told there was an extra 5.95 to pay as the prices had gone up since the groupon was published. I don't think for one minute that this was legal, indeed it was not fair,but decided not to argue as we were served with quality wine.
We had to wait for 25 minutes for the soup to arrive,but it was delicious when it did. The main meal however took a further 45 minutes to arrive,after 30 minutes we asked how much longer it would be,and was told 10 minutes. We chose the lamb Henry on a bed of mash and green beans,and we were not disappointed, as it was fresh,hot.and delicious.
If you want good food in the city centre you won't be disappointed. But if you want good service or fast service you will be.
Do not go for the plush surroundings either, the ladies toilets had a block of three. One was out of order, one had 2 or 3 unravelled toilet rolls stuffed down, and one had urine in and on the seat and wouldn't flush.
There were children shouting and running around also, all in all quite a disappointment for us. Need to get things on the level with groupon too!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 February 2014

Bought a Groupon for 'a LA carte 2 course meal with drink. There was no a LA carte. There was a maximum spend not made clear in their advertising so were charged extra for starters. Waited ages to be served. Others who ordered the same main were served before us. When it did arrive it was cold. The table next to us also complained theirs was cold. Wallppaper was ripped, tables scratched and glass on the floor. BTW you can get two courses with half bottle of wine at Michael Cain Bar and Grill for £21!! Less than we ended up paying here.

• Stayed: February 2014
1  Thank wowzers1
Reviewed 14 February 2014

I booked into this shab hole at short notice, used lastminute.com to do so, was given false guidance from lastminute.com over the telephone regarding parking and ended up with £70 council parking ticket, don't expect to park near this
place its a good 15 minute walk unless you want to pay £30 per day to park 5 minutes away.
Hotel was in terrible order, paintwork was shabby and showing mold and black damp.
Room was shabby and noise coming from radiator kept me up all night, in the end i packed up at 5 am and left for home, no running hot water in the room.
I sent a letter of complaint and received a snotty letter back from the manager.
Staff member ( Claire ) was terrible to communicate with and very un-friendly.
Was cheap but not so cheap to live with this type of experience.
very hard to find also.

Room Tip: Ask for another hotel.
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
2  Thank Stephen S
Reviewed 11 February 2014

where shall i start !!!!!!!!!
i took my daughter for her birthday, i had purchased this through groupon, so it was a starter and a main or a main and a pudding, with a drink each.
after making our choices we were told there was not chocolate fudge cake and no belguim waffles, so okay we changed it to sticky toffee pudding and cheesecake.
The starters we had paid extra for came, nachos and garlic bread with cheese, little did we know this was to be the best we would get from here, the rest of the food was rotten. nachos had no sour cream, we were told "we havent got any".
The mains of burger and steak, mushroom and onion ciabatta came, the burger was cold, the steak was still running round the field there was that much blood coming out of it. The chips id paid extra for weren't there. I sent it back but even on the 2nd try it was still unedible.
the puddings were just as bad, sticky toffee pudding and cheesecake.
my advice would be to give this place a wide berth.
A big thanks to the management for spoiling my daughters birthday meal. We will not be returning, it should of been free.

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with family
1  Thank marti1969
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I booked here very last minute for a competitive rate. I arrived at 5pm on a Sunday evening and left at 7.30am the next morning so didn't spend much time in the hotel. I read a few reviews on here before I stayed there though and was feeling very dubious about it! Just wanted to give an honest review for those in a similar situation to me.

Firstly the location is absolutely first class. Right outside Selfridges and the cathedral (hotel entrance is round the back on the other side from the pub entrance). There is a busy pub right next to it though. My room was overlooking said pub but luckily it was quite quiet on a Sunday night - windows definitely not sound proofed! Staff were friendly enough when greeted and quite helpful when I asked for directions.

No lifts by the way but not too many stairs. I stayed in a single room - I'd read there was no storage in a single room but I had a wardrobe, big chest of drawers and a bedside table so no problems there! The room was very clean, towels and sheets were clean. The carpet is very old but it is a very old building and you shouldn't be expecting 5* standard anyway. Bathroom was nothing special, again quite outdated but clean. Shower was a bit pathetic... Barely a dribble! I read a lot of people saying radiators weren't working but if anything it was too hot when I walked in. Was quite glad of the slight breeze coming in from the windows (again very old building). Single bed was comfortable enough although quite small (maybe I'm just too used to double beds).

All in all I had a pleasant experience. I was there on business purposes and I wasn't in the hotel long so if you're looking for a stop-by then this is excellent for location and basic amenities. I'm not sure I would go for pleasure/holiday but would definitely not rule it out for other reasons.

Room Tip: I was in room 21 - single ensuite
  • Stayed: February 2014, travelled solo
Mitre13, Manager at Mitre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 16 February 2014

Thank you for your review, we are glad to hear you had a comfortable stay with us and we hope to see you again in the near future.

Reviewed 3 February 2014 via mobile

I visited in November 2012 and stopped in a double room with en suite.

Decor was nice and matched well, some things lacked a bit of love and could do with a handy man here and there.

Great view and very spacious. Staff were fantastic and the upstairs lobby was very nice, very glam wag style.

Perfect for hen parties/girls weekends!

Stayed: March 2013, travelled solo
Mitre13, Manager at Mitre Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 7 February 2014

Thank you very much for your fantastic review. We are so glad you had an enjoyable stay with us and we hope to see you again very soon.