“Wonderfully quirky and beautiful view.” 5 of 5 bubbles
Review of Mitre Hotel

Mitre Hotel
Ranked #88 of 115 Hotels in Manchester
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Wonderfully quirky and beautiful view.”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

My partner booked a stay at the Mitre for the two of us on Bank Holiday Monday, he chose the hotel based on the fact that it was so reasonably priced compared to our usual Manchester hotels.

My partner having already called to check that it would be possible to check in early, we arrived at the hotel at lunchtime and was greeted by one of the friendliest receptionist I've ever dealt with. We were checked in with no fuss and were told that we had been upgraded to the Luxury Double. All staff were helpful and sociable. No complaints at all.

So we were in room 1, just a few metres away from reception and the hotel bar, and it has to be said that we were not disturbed by any noise all evening or throughout the night. Anyway, the room was beautiful, nicer infact than it looks on the hotel website..okay it is a little shabby in places but in my opinion that only adds to the character. It certainly isn't dirty, just a little rough around the edges but in a good way. The bathroom was large and had a beautiful, modern freestanding bath and a separate shower, there was a fireplace and large mirror but I couldn't quite reach the mirror as I'm fairly short - fortunately there were plenty more mirrors in the actual bedroom. The bedroom was stunning and included some quirky features, with a large wall mounted television and lovely matching white furniture. All in all the room is the perfect getaway for a romantic evening or just to relax, the décor was very calming - very neutral but certainly not bland. Lastly the Cathedral view is beautiful.

All in all we were very happy with our stay, I'm very hard to please when it comes to hotels and for that reason I think my partner was surprised at just how much I loved the Mitre. Having stayed in most of the mainstream, and some not so mainstream, well regarded chains I have found they now never fail to un-impress. I'm going to be honest, I love my 5* luxury and the perks that go hand in hand with that and I'm not trying to suggest you will find that in the Mitre, however now on a much lower budget than in the past this fit the bill perfectly. To be fair I was in the upgraded room and I can't comment on a standard double but I imagine that considering the location and price it would still be exceptionally good value. It was a pleasure staying here and will most certainly be staying again.

Room Tip: Ask for a Cathedral view.
  • Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Enjoyit14

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (164)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
manchester
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014 via mobile

Me and my boyfriend stayed here for a night after a day in Manchester. After reading the dreadful reviews I kind of new what to expect, I was dreading room 18 as I read horrid reviews. Low and behold room 18 was ours. There were some funny stains on the wall, carpets turned up in corners of the room, stains on carpet and furniture, rips in the Lino in the bathroom, tap dripped constantly through the night. The only thing good about this room was the crisp white bedding and the clean bathroom. If you want a nice room then you have to pay for a better room, these rooms looked lovely. The manager seems to show no regard for the cheaper rooms, they are honestly scruffy ...... The only reason why we didn't complain was that we only paid £30, but still the rooms should look nice.

The bar down stairs is lovely and we spent a lot if time in there, great atmosphere.

Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Mitre13, General Manager at Mitre Hotel, responded to this review, 21 July 2014
Having viewed the photos and your review of room 18 we would like to offer our apologies for the state of your room. We have refurbished the room and dramatically improved the room. Whilst you paid £30 for the room this is not of consequence, we aim to have a high standard of room no matter what price was paid. Please email reservations@mitrehotel.co.uk and we can talk about your room in greater detail.

Travellers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Stockport, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

I've had my fair share of staying in those 'nice' hotels, you know the ones, those copy & paste kinds where every room is the same and it all seems very prim and proper. Imagine my surprise, after knowing only the monotony of chain hotels, to find such a fantastic yet quaint little hotel right in the heart of Manchester. After turning up late to check-in, we were told (by quite frankly the friendliest hotel receptionist i've ever met) that we'd be getting the 'executive double' for no extra charge, we followed the directions to the room and were amazed to find that we had our own private staircase to our room. The room itself was absolutely gorgeous, leather clad chairs and the bed against a brick wall, the whole thing situated on the corner of the building offering nearly 270 degrees of view for the surrounding area. The staff were amazing during our stay, and I would recommend this hotel to anyone looking for a lovely hotel in the heart of Manchester which doesn't break the bank like other hotels in the city. 11/10

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
2 Thank simini88
Cumbria, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014

Fantastic location, very central but rooms very dated. Corridors had extremely creaky floors which meant an unsettled night due to noisy neighbours. My room was cold as huge gap in window and radiator not working, only the fact that I had extra beds therefore more quilts, meant that I could stay. My room seemed to be above the bins which meant the pub emptying the bottle bin at 11pm woke me up - just ask them to pick a reasonable time to empty it, and council emptying woke me early, not their fault I know. Lots of stains on the carpet and slats missing on the blinds didn't look good either. Bath had lots of marks in, wasn't sure if damage or dirt so didn't want to use the bathroom! Not a great night but I got it for £29 on hotels.com so didn't complain. I wouldn't pay any more for it. Disappointing stay and looking at the pics on line i had liked forward to it.

• Stayed May 2014
Coniston, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

Booked last minute with my daughter for a night away. The price was amazing. The hotel is situated next to the Cathedral, Printworks, MEN, and The Arndale for shopping.
The guy on reception was so very friendly, a real warm welcome.
Our room was lovely, one window overlooking the cathedral , and one over the oldest pub in Manchester. Lovely decor, plentiful supply of tea and coffee. Bathroom was large with bath and shower.
We could walk everywhere easy from the hotel. Red Hot Buffet round the corner for dinner, amazing.
We could not believe what we got for the money we paid. We will definitely stay here for future visits to Manchester. Much better than the overpriced, small groomed, so called superior hotels in the city.
A fantastic find. Thanks.

• Stayed May 2014
Llandudno, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014

Me and my boyfriend often go away for 3 nights for a break, we stayed in the Mitre last year and had no problems, so we decided to stay again. We're not fussy as long as we have a clean bed and bathroom because we like to spend most our time out in the city (so the location is perfect for this) however a few things did annoy us- toilet role holder had fallen off, light above our head didn't have a bulb and the strip light above the sink didn't have a bulb. The bath had a big crack down it, on the last day the front of the draw fell off when I went to get my clothes out. If we were going for a romantic get away I would definitely stay somewhere else, for shopping and spending most of your time outside the hotel the mitre is in a central location and you can get good deals through late rooms.com

• Stayed April 2014
1 Thank beckykeith
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 April 2014

Hotel is very old and this shows, clearly all the money has been spent on the bar downstairs. We originally booked 2 rooms of 3 but ended up with a room of 2 and a 4. The room with 4 in had no wardrobe or place to put clothes which was very aggravating as all the clothes were kept in the room opposite in the wardrobe! All the floors in both rooms were wonky and theres stairs everywhere! On the plus side the staff were fantastic and friendly...breakfasts were very poor and ifwe hadnt had brekky iincluded we would not have eaten here! The location is right outside the arndale shopping centre and has some lovely bars and shops around!

Room Tip: Room 12 has no wardrobe, room 14 has 2 very wonky beds
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled with friends