“Central and cheap!”

The Castlefield Hotel
Ranked #62 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 21 September 2011

I went here with a group of friends for a hen party (age range 23 - 60). The reception staff were very helpful and answered all my questions on the area, which train station to get off at, how far our chosen restaurants were, which cab firm to use etc. They also agreed to match the room rate I had found on another site online (£65 per room, per night, bed and breakfast).

When we got there, check in was quick and easy. The staff were very friendly and provided wine buckets, ice and glasses without any problems.

My room overlooked a very busy road, so road noise was a problem for me. Ask for a room on the opposite side of the hotel for a quieter night. The rooms were fine and had everything you'd need for a weekend stay.

Breakfast was self service, with juice, cereals, toast, yoghurts and full cooked English. Food was well cooked and plentiful. It was slightly unusual in that the tables were in a corner of the lounge / bar area, rather than being separate, but not a major issue.

The hotel is ideal for what we wanted. A weekend would be fine, although I won't want to stay for much longer, mainly because of the road noise problem.

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the opposite side to the road.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled with friends
GlynnCastlefield, Manager at The Castlefield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 September 2011

Thanks for commenting.Glad you found the rooms OK, breakfast plentiful and the hotel ideal - both for price & location. To ensure you get the best price available don't forget to go to our own Castlefield website.

Reviewed 6 September 2011

This is a slightly tired building in need of a makeover, but don't let that put you off. It is scrupulously clean with excellent room servicing. The staff are warm, friendly and courteous and make you feel welcome right away. I was foolish enough to leave my laptop behind when I left, but by lunchtime that day the hotel had tracked me down to alert me and suggest retrieval - now that's service! As a budget city centre hotel this is excellent and I recommend it very highly.

• Stayed: August 2011, travelled on business
GlynnCastlefield, Manager at The Castlefield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 September 2011

Thank you for your kind comments- delighted the team were pro-active and that you found the hotel clean and the staff friendly & courteous.
The reception & lounge area has now been completely re-vamped with a light airy, open feel and brand new reception desk.
We strive to offer continuous improvements to the product and increase the welcome & friendliness. It is great to see it being recognised and we look forward to welcoming you back

Reviewed 4 September 2011

Service from the staff on arrival was attentive and professional. Room was clean and functional. The hotel location is ideal for visiting the city centre and nights out. Be aware though that you pay a price with road noise and other hotel guests coming back in the early hours (banging doors). Do not expect a solid nights sleep. On check out, staff informed us that the hotel try and put hen party's on one floor together but had not on this occasion. Were apologetic for the noise caused.

Room Tip: Ask if there are any groups or parties next to your room.
  • Stayed: September 2011, travelled as a couple
GlynnCastlefield, Manager at The Castlefield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 6 September 2011

Apologies for the noise problem caused by fellow guests being a little inconsiderate. We do try to keep such groups together but, as you are aware, it is not always possible although it is unusual for disturbance to other guests.Road noise problems are very subjective-depends a lot on where you live/what you are used to- but many thanks for the feedback. Glad you found the team attentive & professional.
Next time don't forget to book through the Castlefield Hotel website to get the best available rate.
We look forward to welcoming you back to the hotel which, as you mention, is superbly located for the many attractions of Manchester.

Reviewed 12 July 2011

I have had the pleasure of staying at the Castlefield or a very regular basis. I was working in Manchester and had my choice of hotels, having stayed in The Hilton, Jury's, Marriot etc, etc, I found myself returning to The Castlefield, why? When you are away from home you need to feel welcome, this is apparent from the first contact made with the lovely receptionists, right through to the Bar staff. Never have I felt as welcome and I have been in many a hotel round the world..and if you are reading this and thinking "does he", well I don't, work for the hotel that is. I have received great service throughout my time there and feel its the least I can do is promote them. My company have chosen The Castlefield as their preferred choice for staff stop overs. My family have come and stayed over on several occasions and they all loved it, especially the pool and the gym. I maybe should have used the facilities more often, as the free use of the gym is included in the room booking. The gym is well staffed, very clean and very welcoming no matter what shape or size you are !! I will always chose to stay there whenever I am back in Manchester.

Room Tip: try to get a room facing the canal..its quieter .......
  • Stayed: July 2011, travelled on business
GlynnCastlefield, Manager at The Castlefield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 27 July 2011

DavyK - thank you for writing your review. Glad that your period of time with us was enjoyable and that you found the team friendly and welcoming. With 48 rooms we can, and do, treat guests as individuals and the facilities,including the excellent on site 'Y' Club, more than match some of our illustrious neighbours.

Reviewed 3 July 2011

Castlefield is a re-juvinated industrial area, and is now clean & tidy. The hotel is surrounded by some trendy modern restaurants, and some traditional English pubs. Also, it is only 10 mins walk to the shops and Metro station at Deansgate, and about 15 mins from the Arndale shopping centre. So the location is near perfect.
The hotel itself is modern, and our room was bigger than average. The only (minor) problem we had was that we stayed during very hot weather (unusual in Manchester !!), and air-conditioning would have been welcome. To be fair, the windows could be opened, but there was some noise from revellers returning from clubs.
The buffet breakfast was OK, and there was also a bar and restaurant (which we found no reason to try out during our 3 night stay). The sports facilities were excellent. Parking at £9/night seems reasonable for the centre of a major city.
Overall - the experience was pretty good - and we would definitely use the hotel again if staying in central Manchester.

• Stayed: July 2011, travelled as a couple

Delighted you enjoyed your stay , the great location, the fantastic facilities of the 'Y' Club and the size of the room. As you rightly point out the overnight car park rates for a city centre hotel are very reasonable- and next time you really must find time to sample the food on offer!

Reviewed 22 June 2011

we stayed in March and also at the end of May taking my teenage daughter on a shopping trip once again. Room once again spotless, staff very helpful. We arrived a little early to be advised room not ready but by the time we had a sandwich and a drink it was ready for us so no problems at all as the receptionist kept us informed and was very apologetic. We have booked again to stay in October. Once again my teenager made up with the free wifi.
Good location with the free shuttle into the centre every 10 mins from just round the corner.
Enjoyed our stay once again.

• Stayed: May 2011, travelled with family
Management response:Responded 14 September 2017

Thank you for taking the time for the feedback given.

Kind Regards

Shane Giles

Reviewed 16 June 2011

We thought that the hotel while still good value for money could do with a bit of a makeover.The carpets and rooms are beginning to look a little weary.Overall though it's a good place to stay,it's in a great location,you get the opportunity to use the health club(we didn't have the time),and the price for such a place is well worth it.We would stay here again if we need to stay in Manchester.

Stayed: May 2011, travelled as a couple

We are just updating public areas with a new reception desk and lounge being opened up to create a much more attractive open space for all. Bedrooms are next on the list and will be completed by the end of August and we look forward to welcoming you back again.