“Worst hotel experience in a long time, mitigated by friendly staff.”
Review of Castlefield Hotel

Castlefield Hotel
Ranked #63 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Cleveland, Ohio
“Worst hotel experience in a long time, mitigated by friendly staff.”
Reviewed 24 July 2012

I am a loyal TripAdvisor reader and reviewer and I swear by it; before I book anything, I read reviews across the spectrum to get a feel for what I can expect. That said, I was excited to try out the Castlefield, since it received such good reviews here. I was stunned by what I experienced compared to the many reviewers.

I and my friends had just come back from doing the Wainwright Coast-to-Coast and checked in, only to end up on a very dirty/dingy floor with a hallway that didn't feel clean and oversized & antiquated door locks that suggested they were quite concerned with security. When I entered the room, the carpet felt a bit crunchy underfoot, so I wore my shoes the entire time. There were cigarette burns on the endtable, the walls were all terribly scuffed, the king bed was two twins affixed together in the middle so poorly that you ended up on one slanted twin side, and the bathroom shower had mold on the ceiling. In a word, the room felt unclean. When I ventured to my friends' room, one of them told me she had taken a shower where there was already an opened, used bar of soap in it. Disgusting. We could also hear the gentleman across the hall snoring from inside his room, as if the walls were a bit thin. Speaking of which, I could hear everything outside the hotel as if it were right across the hall, and these people were very loud. I keep reading comments from Glynn that they are updating the rooms and working on double-glazing the windows, so I can only imagine that we were stuck in two very outdated rooms.

Breakfast the next morning was no better, as the tables were set but not cleaned, and the seating felt like I was back in primary school, with crayon marks all over and errant bits of food and scraps of paper. The breakfast itself was pretty bad, even though I got there just as they were opening. The gentleman replenishing the food was very genial and helpful, but the food itself was execrable. The scrambled eggs - freshly put out, so had not been sitting - were cooked in such a way that some bits were hard and purplish-blue. Gross - I had never even seen eggs that color before! The only other breakfast I attempted were the mushrooms, which were swimming in a pool of buttery water and didn't even look cooked, just dumped in to soak up the liquid. All the cookware looked beat up, as well.

All in all, this was a very disappointing hotel experience, with the only highlight being the breakfast staff and the reception staff (am and pm). They really need to address the shabbiness of the rooms, as well as the public areas.

4 Thank morganaus
GlynnCastlefield, PR at Castlefield Hotel, responded to this review, 1 August 2012
Well Morganaus no one can accuse you of being a part time contributor! Having just returned from a long holiday I was more than surprised by recent comments and take this opportunity to apologise for any disappointment experienced.
As you state your experience is at odds with previous comment and stringent internal action is being taken to ensure standards do not lapse again.

I could take issue with some of your comment but, as you will appreciate from previous reviews, I prefer to take action to improve.
Indeed today I have just surveyed the bedroom stock and am costing out a refurbishment programme for over 33% of the rooms. By the way the size of the locks does not reflect a security issue- simply their age! At least the keys always work whereas, as I am sure you have experienced, keycards often don't.

I am glad that the team were appreciated although it would seem some fell short in the execution of their duties leaving you with a less than satisfactory experience for which I apologise

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Barnoldswick, United Kingdom
Reviewed 12 July 2012

I booked this hotel for location and that was brilliant! but the hotel room was very poor and dated with small beds, the carpet was dirty with a large stain (this made me feel dirty) the bathroom is really in need of up grading. The food was terrible and the breakfast was not good! overall........... overpriced and also had to pay extra for the car park! The lift was out of order which was a pain with bags. Not a good choice :-(

Room Tip: the rooms facing the Canal seemed on the quiet side
3 Thank Angela N
, Manager at Castlefield Hotel, responded to this review, 13 July 2012
Sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay here. As you say, we do have a great location in the city centre. We do state on our website the car park is extra, but £9 is well below any other car park in the city centre. The staff were offering to help with luggage to/from room for the guest inconvenience, as this was out of our control. We are starting to redecorate the rooms. This is an ongoing process and will take some time to complete.

Travellers are raving about these Manchester hotels

plymouth
Reviewed 8 July 2012

Stayed here with friends while we went to the stone roses gig at Heaton park,
cant knock the location, the staff were helpful and polite and the rooms were just what we needed, one even had an i pod doc, Breakfast was buffet style and had everything you needed from a fry/grill up to cereal etc.
cant find any reasons to knock this place, decent stay and wouldn't hesitate to return

, Manager at Castlefield Hotel, responded to this review, 13 July 2012
Glad to hear you enjoyed you stay and look forward to seeing you again here soon.
Medway
Reviewed 4 July 2012

Having stayed here previously for business and not having had great experiences at either the Travellodge on Blackfriars or the Mercure hotels most recently, I decided to give this hotel another go as it is quite close to where I need to be and I remember it to have good food.

I don't think I'll make that decision again. In fact I will actively encourage my employer to avoid using this hotel.

As mentioned I have stayed here before and found it to be quite pleasant with good food, good atmosphere and a generally clean, well run and efficient hotel but unfortunately all of those attributes were somewhat lacking in this time round.

Location: The hotel is actually extremely well located, and quite a bargain given it's proximity to Deansgate, the tram and the train station. Couples who are ok sleeping in separate beds and singles can further save on the room rate by booking a twin room, though I wouldn't recommend this at all!!!

With it being so close to Deansgate it's also very handy for the free bus service around the city. Liverpool Road itself also has a number of restaurants on it as well, though I'll have to concede I've not visited any of them.

Checking In: On checking in I was asked to wait for a minute while, for all I could tell, the front of house chap danced with a piece of paper! 5 minutes later, he's still dancing, but then at last he acknowledges me and so I start to check in. But only for a couple of minutes because a buzzer has just gone and it now becomes absolutely imperative he now disregards checking me in and deals with the speaker on the wall. A few minutes later and he's back to me. Not a great start, but hey, it's a hotel, it gets busy sometimes.

Room: The room itself is good sized and is decorated to an ok standard; it won't win any awards and would do well with a lick of paint and a Ken Dodd duster in the corners to rid it of the cobwebs. Also the radiator I don't think has ever been cleaned but since I'm on business I'm not likely to go licking it! That said, had my 2 year old son been with me he may well have had a different view, so not so good for families!

The major issue with the room was the noise. The windows are double glazed but offer absolutely no barrier to the noise from the road outside. I tried closing the curtain but to no avail. I appreciate that I'm in a city hotel and so noise is to be expected, but I honestly may just have well put my duvet on the pavement.

Not to worry, I'll just ask to change rooms. Or, so I thought. "All the twin rooms are on the road side". But what about a higher room? "No, sorry they're all booked". But what about a change of room to a double, which I'm assuming is not road side. "Sorry, Sir, we don't have any". I left the reception desk somewhat dismayed and confused. I know the amount of people in the bar isn't directly related to the amount of people booked in to rooms, but there were less than 10 people there - at tea time - and 5 of them were "friends" of the bar staff!!

The TV was good though as it was an actual freeview TV rather than the standard hotel TV system which locks down all bar BBC, ITV and radio.

Also, the WiFi is accessible in the rooms, and free of charge, though I wouldn't conduct my business across it since it's sketchy at best. That said, I will admit this could well be due to my room being towards the end of the corridor.

Food: In a word, horrible. Starter: chicken skewers followed by a burger with cheese and bacon - cheese and bacon being an extra £1.80 but I'm from London, so am ok with this. What I wasn't ok with though was the description of the cheese being grated. Last time I checked this didn't mean square shaped and didn't mean processed! Vile. Also, the bacon was bigger than the burger, which whilst was thick and juicy wasn't good quality meat, unless it's rat meat. The chips were ok, though very, very greasy.

As, really bizarrely, were chicken skewers were. I've never had greasy chicken skewers before!

Though, it's a hotel so I don't expect great food but edible would be nice. However, I do need to point out that somebody had the carbonara and this did look nice as it passed by me. Needless to say, if I were to stay here again I wouldn't be eating here.

Breakfast is generally where hotels need to shine as it's not usual to have breakfast out so they have a captive market. However, Castlefields don't really "step up to the plate" here either. It was hot, and that's all I can say about it really! The bacon was fat, the sausages weren't made of meat from what I could tell, the eggs (scrambled, as this was the only choice) were sloppy and the tables weren't laid despite me being down 15 minutes after the start. The beans and toast were nice though!

Service: I've worked in a bar before so I appreciate that it's tempting to go and sit with your mates, but not at the expense of customers. I must have counted at least 4 occasions in the time it too me to have 2 pints where customers were left waiting as the barman chatted to a couple of his friends. The tables were also beyond sticky. When I asked if food was being served I was told "Of course, the menu's are on the table!". Perhaps "table" is slang for "floor" in Manchester.

All in all, it wasn't really the sort of stay that really made me re-charge my batteries and feel fresh and invigorated for the challenges of the business day ahead, hence my initial statement about the advice to my employer, and anyone for that matter, to avoid this hotel.

It's a shame really, because with it's excellent location and wonderful surroundings it could do so much better.

Alas, I don't particularly want or care to find out how it fares in future.

Room Tip: Twins are road side, doubles aren't. Make of that what you will, but the windows don't work!
  • Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
3 Thank DaveM1980
, Manager at Castlefield Hotel, responded to this review, 5 July 2012
I am disappointed to hear you didn't enjoy your stay this time round. As you said we do have a great location in with easy access to the city centre. You comments on the service you received are being investigated. I can assure you we get our ingredients from reputable suppliers.
Brussels, Belgium
Reviewed 3 July 2012

I needed somewhere with a car park close to the centre of Manchester. This wouldn't have been my first choice, but really, it was fine!

If you want somewhere as a stop-over, rather than a holiday, hotel this will do!

The staff were lovely, the room (yes, it was tired and dated) was small but clean, the location is good with restaurants within walking distance and if you're a fitness fanatic the gym and pool looked very functional (rather than spa-like). There is a bar, and we sat and relaxed there for a while before facing the rain and a dash to the restaurant. Breakfast was very good for this sort of hotel.

On the downside, the car park is small, so that could be a problem on a very busy weekend, and the space rather cramped.

My biggest complaint though would be that it's probably time they renewed their beds! As I was the driver I got the most comfi bed as I needed to be fresh the next day, but the other bed was very springy.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with family
, Manager at Castlefield Hotel, responded to this review, 5 July 2012
Glad to hear you enjoyed your stay overall and the facilities the hotel has to offer. We have 48 bedrooms and 52 spaces in our car park, so while it may get busy, there will be somewhere for you to park.
London UK
Reviewed 28 June 2012

I was very much looking forward to staying here after reading the many positive reviews, but I wouldn't rush back as for the price you can do much better in Manchester (although you can also do much worse for the same price if you head to a certain large hotel on Portland Street!) - the positives though - overwhelmingly friendly in a genuine way, not the usual fake/air hostess style smiles that are all too common in the UK hospitality industry - so a big thank you to all the staff for making me feel welcome both on arrival, at breakfast and check-out.

However, as others have noted the rooms need some TLC and a deep clean - I wouldnt call them dirty by any stretch of the imagination, but they reminded me of University halls of residence that have been given a quick 'once over' by decorators during the summer vacation, a quick clean and then let out to students again come the autumn. Skirting boards were pretty unpleasant (see pic), pillows had no pillow protectors so you could see sweat stains if you peeked inside the pillowcase, the decorators were clearly not the best as there is paint smeared round light fittings etc and even on the lift door surrounds and generally the decor is in need of a good facelift. The carpet fitters must also have been having a bad day - frayed edges and lifting corners - not what you would expect in a GBP80 room. un-filled holes in bathroom where fixtures had been removed added to the general rather run down/halls of residence feel.

My biggest gripe however is the mattresses on the beds - large person shaped hollows in both (I was in a twin room) and after an hour or so trying to get comfortable in the hollow I gave up and slept on the floor - definately not what I expect to have to do in a GBP80 room! OK I admit that this was an extreme measure and I could have asked for a new room, but it was late and I really couldnt face moving - and as it happens I slept ok-ish on the floor! It just never ceases to amaze me that hotels buy cheap mattresses and/or fail to replace them when they are worn, when the main reason to stay in a hotel is to sleep!

So yes, a VERY friendly place, very good location (but yes, that road is noisy even late at night) but I really would expect better quality rooms for the price.

Room Tip: try and avoid rooms facing the road
  • Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
, Manager at Castlefield Hotel, responded to this review, 5 July 2012
I am sorry to hear you did not enjoy your stay with us. The bedrooms are in the process of being redecorated, this is an ongoing process and takes time to complete. We are also looking at secondary glazing to help with noise reduction. With mattresses & beds, we do change these when we are aware of a problem. We use a local supplier, so they are changed on the same day. I appreciate it have have been late, but if we were made aware, the staff would have tried to rectified the situation for you.
north west england
Reviewed 25 June 2012

Second time we have stopped here, and yes its clean and in an OK position and value for money, although the bedrooms are ready for a revamp, marks on carpets,scratch's on walls and paintwork, however on our second night, there was a private party in the bar area with disco, which left nowhere for residents to sit and have a quiet drink, ( or any type of drink really) If they are going to cater for functions I think they should have a seperate function room that doesnt then spoil the night for the paying customers

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank lordys
, Manager at Castlefield Hotel, responded to this review, 26 June 2012
Lordys – Thank you for your constructive comments on your stay. We have recently started to redecorate the bedrooms – the painting has been started, the carpets and curtains looking to be replaced – but this is an on going process and will take some time to complete. Sorry to hear that you felt put out by the celebrations in the bar area during the second night of your stay. These are not a regular occurrence. We do section off part of the bar for the party guests and keep the reception lounge area for our hotel guests so they would have somewhere comfortable to sit, have full access to the bar area and still be able have a normal conversation. When we have done it this way in the past, we have not had any comments from any of our hotel guests. It appears this wasn't done on this occasion, and I apologise for the inconvenience caused.