“a good weekend”

The Castlefield Hotel
Ranked #59 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 19 August 2012

I have never stayed in Manchester before and wanted to go and see the industrial heritage and architecture so i was pleasantly surprised to be right in the heart of it-- MOSI opposite, canals to the side and rail / trams nearby.
First impressions count for so much so the warm welcome at reception set the course for the weekend. Everything was explained ( who remembers half of what they are told) so I immediately felt comfortable with the surroundings.
My room was really big--- 3 single beds, I learned long ago never to book a single room. It overlooked MOSI and I could see the steam engine rolling down the tracks. Facing the street meant that there was noise but thats not the hotels fault. Normally the first night away I struggle to sleep but had no trouble in such a comfortable bed
The shower was not good and does need some extra power behind it generally we are used to better than this in UK hotels today I admit I didn't mention it at the time -- was too busy exploring the area to hang around for minor niggles.
The food was what you would expect of a hotel with this grading and the prices were reasonable.
I really liked the availability of the gym and sports facilities and used them twice, the place is obviously popular -- many of the users knew each other and there was a good atmosphere there.
The Castlefield is big enough that you dont feel crowded but small enough to get the personal service feel-- would I go back--- yes--but for a room with a more powerful shower

Room Tip: Maybe a room away from the street would be quieter-- but then you would not get the view into the MO...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled solo
GlynnCastlefield, Public Relations Manager at The Castlefield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 28 August 2012

Acityvisitor, Thanks for your feedback-glad you enjoyed the location, the warm welcome and the fact that we are big enough to cope yet small enough to care.
The leisure club is a great facility with a good atmosphere amaongst the many members.Showers are something we have to live with and we are trying to boost pressure.
As you rightly state , we are a city centre hotel, and that comes with a degree of noise but, again, as you state, the location is fixed ut glad the bed was comfortable and you did not experience a problem sleeping.

Reviewed 16 August 2012

Stayed again at the Castlefield Hotel.
It's about nine months since we were there but it has not changed.
The staff are still friendly and helpful, the rooms are clean and comfortable.
On the whole the two night stay was very good.
Some may say the hotel is looking tired, but I have stayed at more expensive hotels which are a lot worse value for money.
The breakfast is buffet style but there is a good choice and you do not feel rushed. Drinks are reasonable, particularly at "Happy Hour".
The hotel is in a very good position for seeing Manchester.
Once again, could not fault it.

Room Tip: Hotel is positioned on a main road so it does not matter. Rooms can be warm so you may need to leave...
  • Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
GlynnCastlefield, Public Relations Manager at The Castlefield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 21 August 2012

Keyboard, Thank you for a relevant, objective response. Glad to hear you still find rooms clean & comfortable and staff friendly & helpful.As you state there are some areas that may look more tired than others but, as you appreciate, this is always going to be the case regrdless of the perceived standing of the hotel. look forward to welcoming you back to enjoy 'Happy Hour', breakfast and the location.

Reviewed 13 August 2012

I am a local (North West) photographic trainer and used this hotels conference facilities this weekend. Nothing was to big or small for the staff on the desk and everything that I asked for turned up bang on time.

I have to say that the food was very nice and plentiful (Trust me on this as I like my food).

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled on business

Jayce, thanks for commenting-good to hear from a conference user-the 3 meeting rooms are ideal for those smaller meetings (up to 50) and we are able to cater for you without you being lost amongst hundreds of delegates and remain friendly, welcoming and attentive to your needs- and provide good food.

Reviewed 12 August 2012 via mobile

I have just returned from a one night stay at The Castlefield Hotel.
The hotel was clean and tidy, staff all very friendly. I was in a twin room overlooking the Science Museum. Great fun to watch the trains.
Not too noisy, certainly no noisier than other inner city hotels!!
Thr breakfast was good.. Decent choice in a Buffett style. With cereal, cooked items, toast, croissants, fruit and yoghurt. Along with hot drinks. There was fruit juice, but I felt this was watered down slightly!!!
My only criticisms and they are minor... Very few plugs in thr rooms for phone charging, hair straighteners etc! Essential when 2 girlies are room sharing!! Also shower was fine but not massively powerful.

I would definately stay again!

• Stayed: August 2012

Chocomaniac, Thanks for your kind & positive comments- glad you enjoyed the breakfast ( will check the settings on the juice dispenser) We are looking at additional plug provision as everyone now seems to have more plug in devices.
As you say the hotel is well located and certainly no noisier than any other situated in a major city.

Reviewed 8 August 2012

i have just returned from a night at the castlefield hotel room 304 !! booked a king sized bed but got two singles pushed together and had a zip which was torn away from the bed so was no use at all and glynn go and have a look you will see for yourself , the bed sheet was too small and hardly covered the bed due to the beds splitting apart and to be honest time to chuck them out glynn and buy new ones. towels !! well when we arrived we noticed only one towel so on our way out at 3pm mentioned it and asked for towels to be placed in our room whilst out , when we returned at around 11 pm still no towels so i had to go to reception to get them . the room itself was fine and to be fair to you glynn had been painted poorley but painted. the breakfast was of poor quality the eggs were so runny why? the black pudding so hard the sausage under cooked , there should be no excuse for this . the seat backs in the eating area ( the middle table in the window ) were loose and unclean . the list goes on glynn . you say you take action to sort these problems out but it appears these are on going problems and should you wish to give me a refund it would be excepted . i do have one great big thank you and thats to all the staff that we spoke and delt with , they were brilliant and so polite and helpfull

• Stayed: August 2012, travelled as a couple
3  Thank LeicesterMalcolm
GlynnCastlefield, Public Relations Manager at The Castlefield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 9 August 2012

Thank you for your feedback-sorry about bthe towels not being placed in the room for arrival or when requested.
Glad that the staff did their job and you found them to be 'brilliant, polite & helpful'Bit of a dichotomy really when you rate 'service' with the lowest level of approval!
Had you mentioned the shortcomings at the time they could have been dealt with.Using this forum to say that a refund would be "excepted" (sic) seems to me to be the wrong way to approach the matter but, having had your say, you will no doubt glean satisfaction from it.
Sorry you felt the room was painted "poorely" ut, as it seems from your review , we all make mistakes

Reviewed 30 July 2012

I really enjoyed my stay at the Castlefield Hotel.
The rooms were clean, modern and very nicely decorated.
The staff were all really friendly and go out of their way to cater for your needs.

The location is fantastic - very close to town but just enough away so as to provide you with a quiet stay. Breakfast was good. All in all I was very happy to have stayed here.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled solo
1  Thank chris g
GlynnCastlefield, PR at The Castlefield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 8 August 2012

Chris g .

Thanks for commenting.Delighted you enjoyed your stay - the location, breakfast, room cleanliness and, above all, the friendly & helpful staff. As you say just 400 metres from Deansgate and less than 200 to Manchester's free city shuttle bus service we have an excellent location

Reviewed 24 July 2012

I am a loyal TripAdvisor reader and reviewer and I swear by it; before I book anything, I read reviews across the spectrum to get a feel for what I can expect. That said, I was excited to try out the Castlefield, since it received such good reviews here. I was stunned by what I experienced compared to the many reviewers.

I and my friends had just come back from doing the Wainwright Coast-to-Coast and checked in, only to end up on a very dirty/dingy floor with a hallway that didn't feel clean and oversized & antiquated door locks that suggested they were quite concerned with security. When I entered the room, the carpet felt a bit crunchy underfoot, so I wore my shoes the entire time. There were cigarette burns on the endtable, the walls were all terribly scuffed, the king bed was two twins affixed together in the middle so poorly that you ended up on one slanted twin side, and the bathroom shower had mold on the ceiling. In a word, the room felt unclean. When I ventured to my friends' room, one of them told me she had taken a shower where there was already an opened, used bar of soap in it. Disgusting. We could also hear the gentleman across the hall snoring from inside his room, as if the walls were a bit thin. Speaking of which, I could hear everything outside the hotel as if it were right across the hall, and these people were very loud. I keep reading comments from Glynn that they are updating the rooms and working on double-glazing the windows, so I can only imagine that we were stuck in two very outdated rooms.

Breakfast the next morning was no better, as the tables were set but not cleaned, and the seating felt like I was back in primary school, with crayon marks all over and errant bits of food and scraps of paper. The breakfast itself was pretty bad, even though I got there just as they were opening. The gentleman replenishing the food was very genial and helpful, but the food itself was execrable. The scrambled eggs - freshly put out, so had not been sitting - were cooked in such a way that some bits were hard and purplish-blue. Gross - I had never even seen eggs that color before! The only other breakfast I attempted were the mushrooms, which were swimming in a pool of buttery water and didn't even look cooked, just dumped in to soak up the liquid. All the cookware looked beat up, as well.

All in all, this was a very disappointing hotel experience, with the only highlight being the breakfast staff and the reception staff (am and pm). They really need to address the shabbiness of the rooms, as well as the public areas.

• Stayed: July 2012, travelled with friends
4  Thank morganaus
GlynnCastlefield, PR at The Castlefield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 1 August 2012

Well Morganaus no one can accuse you of being a part time contributor! Having just returned from a long holiday I was more than surprised by recent comments and take this opportunity to apologise for any disappointment experienced.
As you state your experience is at odds with previous comment and stringent internal action is being taken to ensure standards do not lapse again.

I could take issue with some of your comment but, as you will appreciate from previous reviews, I prefer to take action to improve.
Indeed today I have just surveyed the bedroom stock and am costing out a refurbishment programme for over 33% of the rooms. By the way the size of the locks does not reflect a security issue- simply their age! At least the keys always work whereas, as I am sure you have experienced, keycards often don't.

I am glad that the team were appreciated although it would seem some fell short in the execution of their duties leaving you with a less than satisfactory experience for which I apologise