“friendly and fabulous”

Ranked #61 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
London, United Kingdom
“friendly and fabulous”
Reviewed 12 November 2012

what a great little hotel this is - only 40 or so bedrooms, a friendly staff team and a great location. My partner and I stayed here over a wet and windy Manchester weekend but we will return. Nothing was too much trouble and everything was provided with a smile and a friendly word.Highly recommended

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank cockneysparrow186338
GlynnCastlefield, Public Relations Manager at Castlefield Hotel, responded to this review, 14 November 2012
CockneySparrow-sorry about the weather but delighted the oasis that is the Castlefield provided a welcoming base for your stay with us.
As you say- great location overlooking the Castlefield Arena and canal basin just 400 metres from Manchester's main thoroughfare- Deansgate.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (130)
Manchester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 November 2012 via mobile

Stayed here last night because we were going out to dinner in Manchester and Christmas shopping the next day. We knew it wasn't a swish expensive hotel but it was perfectly fine and good value for money. Very friendly and helpful staff, good sized room, comfy bed, decent bar prices, plenty of breakfast at the buffet in the morning and very secure free car parking. Also residents get 10% discount on food. Very easy walk to city centre shopping and lots of restaurants right on the doorstep.

Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank barbietowers247
GlynnCastlefield, Public Relations Manager at Castlefield Hotel, responded to this review, 13 November 2012
Barbie Towers, Thanks for commenting and glad you enjoyed your stay, the location, the on site car park, comfy bed,bar prices and range of breakfast dishes along with a very friendly & helpful team
Liverpool, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2012

a last minute booking having been let down by another city center hotel. the staff were very helpful and friendly. Comfy bed and great breakfast . we made use of the swimming pool and gym, it is huge with loads of facilities, sauna steam room etc.. will stay again

• Stayed November 2012, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 125snapper
125snapper.
Delighted we were able to help and that you found the team friendly,the Y club facilities wide ranging and the bed comfy & breakfast 'great'. we look forward to welcoming you back.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 9 November 2012

Stayed with a friend at the Castlefield Hotel for a weekend in October. We were well looked after by all the staff, the breakfast was great and the swimming pool and sauna were fantastic. There is a Spa offering a good range of treatments. Located a short walk from the centre of town, the hotel made a great base from which to make the most of Manchester. The canalside location was an added bonus. First class service and definitely recommended for a return trip.

Room Tip: Canalside quieter than roadside
  • Stayed October 2012, travelled with friends
GlynnCastlefield, Public Relations Manager at Castlefield Hotel, responded to this review, 20 November 2012
Minnie, Thanks for commenting- delighted you enjoyed your stay- the spa, pool and club and the excellent location overlooking the Castlefield canal basin and Arena. We look forweard to welcoming you back.
Birmingham, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 November 2012

I am a business traveller, and chose this hotel because the normal hotels i tend to book were full. I booked a superior room, which was actually quite comfortable, albeit small, until while I was lying on the bed watching TV, I saw a bedbug crawling within the bed after biting me on the leg, stomach and arm. When I moved the cover away, I saw the bedbug crawling over the bed and onto the pillow. I caught it in a glass and kept it by the side of the bed, taking photos of it. This was at 10.00pm, so I called reception and asked immediatley for the manager and a young lady came up, saw the bedbug and apologies profusely and told me to speak to the manager the following morning. I was then moved to a basic room at 10.30pm which was very uncomfortable - 2 single beds pushed together as a double. The next morning, I was introduced to the Operations Manager, who told me that its something I should expect and then, after agreeing to refund me the room cost, said, that I could have a preferential rate for a future stay !!!!!!. I was then given a printout from another manager, basically saying that I should expect bedbugs and if I find any, I should change hotels. I have reported this hotel to Manchester City Council's Environmental Health and the press. The whole experience in this hotel was appauling and the hotel failed to resolve the problem in a way which they could of by valuing me as a customer, rather than justifying the reason why bedbugs are present in this hotel.
I did not sleep at all that night in another room and felt itchy all night. I am considering legal action against this hotel. Do not book this hotel unless you want to risk sleeping in a bed with bedbugs and being bitten by them. This is a dirty hotel, lacking general cleanliness standards and clealy employing managers who lack the necessary skills to manage standards and complaints effectively.

Room Tip: Rooms facing the canal are quieter than the main road.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
6 Thank Ianwilliams1234
Mr. Williams, As was done on the day we apologise again for the problems experienced.
With such issues we understand that emotions can take over and recall of converstaions become confused. No one told you that you should expect bed bugs - you were told that they are an increasing problem within hotels worldwide and given an internet report highlighting this fact ,as you were reluctant to believe us.The report you were given did give some advice on how to react- we did not tell you to find another hotel and, in a genuine attempt to try and restore your faith in the hotel, offerd a rate to attract you back to the hotel and, as a gesture of recompense against your disappointment ,volounteered a full refund -before any request from you.

The room in question was put out of service and our contracted environmental specialists called to treat all areas of the room.The bed has been thrown away and a new one purchased.
What we were trying to point out was two-fold
1) that we were extremely concerned by you discovery and quite prepared to offer a full refund even though the 'bedbug problem, as any internet search will show, was not of our making.
2)the problem is widespread and increasing and, regardless of the brand used, liable to strike anywhere.

Travellers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Perth, United Kingdom
Reviewed 7 November 2012

My friend and I had booked a room online for one night at this Hotel on return from a holiday in Italy. The outside of the Hotel was gloomy looking and littered with cigarette ends. When we got to our room the carpet and surfaces were dirty and there was an electric wire coming out of the wall without a plastic sheath so the live and neutral wires were exposed. We asked to be moved to another room. The lady from reception came up and showed us into a room next door which she said was fine. After she left we saw how dirty this room also was along with a filthy waste bin in the bathroom and hairs in the bathroom sink - not ours! It looked like nothing had been cleaned at all. After showing the same lady from reception the state of the room, we immediately asked for a refund, received it and left to find another hotel. The standard of cleanliness in the two rooms we saw was totally unacceptable and I would suggest that the manager needs to wake up and take a long hard look at the standard of housekeeping that they are expecting visitors to pay for. If the housekeeping standard is so low, what else might be as well?

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
3 Thank Debbie P
Debbie P, So sorry you had cause for such comment. After investigation it transpires that the rooms were serviced by a temporary employee and that, obviously, the work and standard of ,were not checked before you were allocated these rooms
I am not looking to use this reason as an excuse- it is down to the hotel and should not have occurred and my response is aimed to shed some light on the matter as to how this lapse in standards occurred.
From the reviews posted you can see that over 76% rate the hotel as 'very good' or 'excellent' and that your experience is the exception.
Nevertheless we did get it wrong and your comments have prompted stringent internal action to prevent any recurrence -Apologies.
Warrington, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 November 2012

I chose the Castlefield Hotel as I was attending a wedding at the Castlefield rooms and wanted to be nearby. It is clean and comfortable with helpful staff-ideal for visits to the Science Museum and easily within walking distance to Manchester city centre. Breakfast had a wide choice available. I would stay at the hotel again

• Stayed October 2012, travelled with family
GlynnCastlefield, Public Relations Manager at Castlefield Hotel, responded to this review, 7 November 2012
LindaS,
Thanks for your comments- as you state we are well located for all of Manchester''s attractions. Delighted you enjoyed the wide ranging choice at breakfast, found the team to be friendly & helpful and the hotel clean & comfortable. We look forward to welcoming you back.