The Castlefield Hotel
US$179
US$163
Agoda.com
  • Restaurant
Jurys Inn Manchester(Manchester)(Great Value!)
US$95
US$142
US$130
US$97
  • Free Internet
All reviewsmuseum of science and industrycanal basinsports facilitiesliverpool roadsports hallcity centreleisure facilitiessauna and steam roomsecure car parkswimming poolhealth clubfriendly hotelgood sizebasic hotelthird floorhen partygreat facilities
FilterAll languages
Reviewed 18 June 2013

I stay at the Castlefeild Hotel when I am in Manchester, which is infrequently but a few times a year. A good location within 15 mins walking of most places within the City centre.

Whilst I stayed last time there was a loud intruder alarm going off at a building across the road meaning I couldn’t sleep, whilst this was clearly not the hotels fault they moved me to a quieter room which was a god send given I had a early start and a long drive the next morning.

Room Tip: One away from the main road is preferable.
  • Stayed: March 2013, travelled on business
GlynnCastlefield, Public Relations Manager at The Castlefield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 26 June 2013

Mag411,

Thanks for commenting and apologies about the alarm from outside the building.Glad that the team were able to help by moving you. We look forward to your next visit.

Reviewed 5 June 2013

This hotel is well located and is in good walking distance to shopping and dining. Located by a canal and historical sites. Room is certainly adequate and staff friendly and helpful. We would stay there again without question.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
GlynnCastlefield, Public Relations Manager at The Castlefield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 12 June 2013

Many thanks for responding Suellen2.

Delighted you enjoyed the locaation overlooking the Castlefield Canal Basin/Arena and the many attractions within walking distance of the hotel just 400 metres from Deansgate and the many attractions of city centre Manchester.

Glad you found the team friendly and helpful- we look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 31 May 2013

I always stay at the Castlefield when I go to Manchester. It's not the most palatial hotel, but for location it can't be beaten. Close enough to the city centre to make everything easily accessible but not so close that it's troubled by crowds or excessive traffic or too much noise. The rooms are being gradually refurbished so they are fresh looking with modern linens and decor.
One of the best things about it however, is the superb fitness provision. Staying there means you can use the pool - big enough for a decent swim and varying depths, never too busy; their extensive gym, with trained staff to help if you need it, the squash courts and running track are also well appointed. There are classes nearly every day which guests are welcome to join - and the others there are very welcoming and encouraging. I've even been to join their badminton club a couple of times, and even though I'm a complete stranger to them, they were happy to lend me a racquet and include me in the games.
It's owned by the YMCA (don't worry there's no singing Indian, policemen, construction workers etc!) so there's also a chaplaincy and offer of more spiritual support if you feel the need while you stay.
I recommend the Castlefield for short or longer stays but don't all rush there as I need to be able to book a room when I need to stay!

Room Tip: Rooms at the back overlook the canal basin where sometimes skateboarders gather in the evenings but the views are better.
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled on business
GlynnCastlefield, Public Relations Manager at The Castlefield Hotel, responded to this reviewResponded 5 June 2013

Julia W,
Thank you for your comprehensive comments.
Delighted that you make full use of the excellent leisure facilities and the classes, which are open to all.
As you say, the Hotel is owned by Manchester YMCA but operates as 2 seperate businesses with the original Manchester YMCA re-locating here some 22 years ago and deciding to build a hotel above the excellent facilities.
We do have a continuous refurbishment programme ongoing and improvements are made continually to ensure the hotel remains up to standard and competitive.
We look forward to welcoming you back.

Reviewed 31 May 2013

Hotel location and service was good. A short walk to great eating places by the canal.

The room was clean however the overall rating is let down as the rooms are badly in need of refurbishment. Of three opening windows only one would open. One window had the handle broken off the other was warped letting in a draft and the catch very temperamental.

In the bathroom no towel rail for hand towels, cold tap partly seized so only a trickle of water, veneered surfaces water damaged.

• Stayed: May 2013, travelled as a couple
1  Thank Brian B

Brian B, apologies for the problems experienced in the room.all are easily solved and , if you had let us know about the tap, we could have repaired it at the time.Puzzled re. no hand towel rail.
Thank you for commenting- matters will be resolved

Reviewed 31 May 2013

May Bank Holiday! Magic Weekend for Rugby League fans everywhere (Held at Manchester City Stadium).
I went with friends and stayed over Friday, Saturday and Sunday night (£40 a night). We had a group of roughly 8 people (Some only stayed Friday/Saturday etc). Not one complaint from any of us!
We arrived to the hotel, where we were greeted by friendly staff, who checked us in. We went to our rooms and I must say, It was clean, tidy and had a decent view! No problems whatsoever.
We made good use of the bar!! All the bar staff were friendly and had a good laugh too (Some hotels can be so serious sometimes!!).
In the morning, we used the Gym, Pool, Sauna and Steam room. All of which I would definitely recommend! All clean and easy to use. My personal opinion, the Pool could do with a new lick of paint! However, it isn't a deal breaker!
After this, We would go to breakfast. Very good selection!! Tasted very nice too! Not one empty/unhappy stomach in site!!!! I speak on behalf of a group to say that breakfast was very enjoyable!
I would recommend this Hotel to anyone. We will be going back to the same place, same time next year.
Thanks for the great stay Castlefield! See you next year!

Room Tip: We all had rooms on the second floor. No complaints from anyone!
  • Stayed: May 2013, travelled with friends

Aaron B,
Thanks for commenting and delighted you & your friends had a 'Magic Weekend' at the Castlefield and found the team friendly, the atmosphere informal and the service, food & drinks good.
We look forward to welcoming you back next year.