“Go for afternoon tea”

Ranked #11 of 190 things to do in Manchester
More attraction details
Fee: Yes
Recommended length of visit: 2-3 hours
Owner description: This neo-Gothic masterpiece was designed by Alfred Waterhouse and completed in 1887. At the front main entrance sits a statue of the Roman Governor, Agricola, founder of the original fort of Mamuciam, from which the city began. The building dominates Albert Square.
Reviewed 15 June 2014

Not very much of the town hall was open when we visited - actually just a few yards after the main entrance, but it was still an interesting building.
Although there was no clue from the outside, there is a very smart tea room on the ground floor. It was a hot afternoon and, elsewhere in the city, the coffee bars were heaving. Here, in the gothic splendour of the town hall as a very comfortable tea room. Forget municipal café - think 5 star country house hotel! Loads of space between the tables and leather sofas. Elsewhere the air conditioning struggled to keep overcrowded coffee bars cool. Here it was naturally cool, due to the high ceilings, flagstones and dim lighting.
And it was cheap!
Obviously not many people know about this place - so go and have a very relaxing tea (or just a cup of tea or coffee).

Write a ReviewReviews (1,413)

Reviewed 12 June 2014

I went with a friend to visit Manchester Town Hall. We wandered around, but because there had been local elections or something the day before we were not permitted to go into the great hall or up to the clock tower. This was a shame, but what we saw was surprisingly impressive, and the amount of work which has gone into this bulding is incredible. There were court cases in progress on the day, so it's good to see that quite a lot of the building is in use. Next time I am in Manchester I will try and get to the great hall to see the pictures and also see if I can get up to see the clock tower, which I've heard can be a little imposing but worthwhile for the outstanding architecture. I've heard there are also bumble bees (signifying Manchester's industriousness) in the floor tiling: I missed them, but perhaps they were in the part we could not visit that day. Anyway, here is a building 'us northerners' can be truly proud of.

Reviewed 11 June 2014

I was disappointed not to be able to venture up the wonderful staircases. However, the corridors that you are allowed to walk around are very interesting. A beautiful building and very well kept.

Reviewed 10 June 2014

At Christmas, the Town Hall in Albert Square is beautiful, if slightly crowded with Christmas shoppers. I also went to see Keaton Henson play live in November 2013 (pre-Christmas markets) and I've never seen live music sat in such a stunning room. Made the atmosphere all the more special. Have not paid to look around the entire building, however, but what I have seen is beautiful! Also surrounded by plenty of bars and restaurants.

Reviewed 8 June 2014

I live in Manchester and often have the pleasure of business meetings in Manchester Town Hall. Both the exterior and interior are impressive. I am always amazed how you can just walk in off the street and admire the interior. There are cafe facilities also. Admire the architecture of yesteryear.

1  Thank CorneliusfudgeGM