“You get what you pay for”

ibis Manchester Centre Princess Street Hotel
Ranked #52 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
GreenLeadersSilver level
Hong Kong, China
“You get what you pay for”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 May 2014

I chose this hotel because it was one of the cheapest in the city centre. This basic hotel had everything you'd need, but it did not give me the typical clean feeling of ibis. The carpet and the sofa seat were seriously stained and thus looked dirty. The soap dispenser in the shower was empty but has not been refilled. There were two pubs on the street, with long queues at night. Our room was not facing the pubs, but we can still hear some noise at midnight. Overall, it was okay for one night, but for anything more than that I would pay a bit more and stay somewhere else.

• Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank batnac
H3143, General Manager at ibis Manchester Centre Princess Street Hotel, responded to this review, 20 May 2014
Thank you for your feedback. We treat all of our comments with the utmost seriousness and we will be investigating this matter accordingly.

Miguel Mendes

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (143)
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Polish first
Bath, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 May 2014

Been here before, seems basic and en-suite facilities mould plastic space cabin, bit weird but nothing too bad. This time, however, we needed a good rest before a long trip early the next day so the lady at the desk proposed she'd give us a room at the back on the top floor. Excellent. Or so we thought. In the middle of the night we discovered we were at the front, when a group of students were laughing and shouting at the front of the hotel, right below us on the street. Bye bye sleep :( On top of that, the shower temperature fluctuated so badly I almost burnt myself and whilst getting ready we missed most of the news in the morning because the reception was not good. On top of that, breakfast was disappointing and because I'm dairy-free and therefore cannot have the scrambled eggs, they couldn't even poach or fry me an egg, because "we don't have the facilities" ???? To top it all off, the guy who checked us out seemed not really interested in our feedback. However, after making a complaint by email the manageress was more than apologetic and we received a full refund. I am confident that all aspects of our complaints will be looked into, though.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
Review collected in partnership with Accorhotels.com

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to the Hotel Ibis Manchester Princess Street. i have noted your comments about your complaint, which we have since addressed.

Whitby, United Kingdom
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 5 May 2014

This is a budget hotel. I knew that when I booked a 5 night stay, however there should be minimum standards for a budget hotel - other chains manage to do a lot better for the same money. This is my first Ibis experience and I should have looked on Tripadvisor first! I was on a business trip at the conference centre round the corner. I won't go on too much but my summary follows:

You then enter the lift (if your keycard works)...

Bad points:
Layer of dust visible where the cleaners don't bother to look
Smart-price automatic air fresheners on every floor enhance the budget experience
Rooms are like jail cells, devoid of pictures and soft furnishings (wallpaper or curtains would be nice)
En-suites are some kind of rounded modular units from 30 years ago installed into each cell
Empty shower gel dispenser for 5 nights (I took my own)
Dated furniture, basic and worn
Deliberately throttled wi-fi connection (terrible even for Facebook) that you can pay to "upgrade", if you can be bothered

Good points for me were:
Great modern lobby
Friendly and professional staff
Very secure
Comfortable bed
Good breakfast

I like fresh air but opening the window just invited the smell from the extractor fans of the Indian restaurant below, and the constant noise of Manchester city centre... I'm nit-picking now because my overall experience was depressing. This is not a hotel to spend any amount of time in. Unfortunately for me, I had homework to do every night as I was on a course. I spent a lot of time sitting on a hard and battered old chair on the 5th floor, gazing down at an abandoned car park wishing I was dead.
If you're in Manchester for a one-night booze-up however, I'm sure it's perfect, as you won't be in any fit state to know what you could have got at the hotel round the corner. Good luck Ibis, but I think you're surviving on brand recognition now.

Room Tip: A room higher than the 5th floor may smell less of curry?
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for your comments, we can assure you that the matter is being looked into and will be dealt with accordingly.

Hartlepool, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014

Have stayed in a few ibis and it's a good basic hotel the room needed a bit of a paint and the cobwebs needed a dusting but the bedding and the bathroom facilities were spotlessly we had a room on the 5th floor but all was good till the nightclub over the road closed then it was really noisy for a good hour and half. No car parking available so we used euro parks just down the road it was £10 for 24 hours. Hotel is in a good location for the money few mins walk to the theatre and 10 min walk in to the centre.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
H3143, General Manager at ibis Manchester Centre Princess Street Hotel, responded to this review, 6 May 2014
Thank you very much for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to the Hotel Ibis in Manchester Princess Street. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

Lucerne, Switzerland
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 May 2014 via mobile

Pros: Clean room, bathroom nice ans clean, good breakfast, reasonable pricing, comfortable bed, friendly and helpful staff

Cons: rather loud (clubs next door, windows not leak proof), shower is ok but with the issue of little water power

A very decent hotel for price and location. Recommended.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thank you for your kind comments and compliments. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 May 2014 via mobile

My friends and i stayed at the hotel for one night after a music festival. We chose the hotel as it was the cheapest option and close to the venue. The repection was nice and the staff were helpful and friendly. The room itself was very basic and the decor was dated but to be fair it had everything we need for a place to sleep and shower. No complaints about noise, the room was nice and warm and the bed was comfy enough. Can't comment on the breakfast as we missed it. Cheap and cheerful hotel, good locatiom' would probably use again =]

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Thanks for your review. I am glad you had a good stay with us. See you on your next trip hopefully!

UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 April 2014

good hotel, rooms well laid out and comfortable. basic accommodation.

bathroom had a problem however, and the drains smelled. our fault as we could've taken advantage of notifying the staff but totally forgot to do so. staff were courteous and helpful.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to the Hotel Ibis Manchester Princess Street. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we have noted your comments about the smell, which we have since addressed.