“Very pleasantly surpised!”

Ranked #49 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
London UK
“Very pleasantly surpised!”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

I have had to travel to Manchester 4 times in the last 3 weeks and had 4 less than happy experiences in 4 hotels priced at over 80 GBP per night, one of which claimed to be 4 star, yet had one of the dirtiest rooms I have ever stayed in - both in the UK and overseas!

It was therefore with some trepidation that I was booked into the Ibis on Portland Street, my 5th different hotel in Manchester in 3 weeks! However, I am relieved to say that all was well and my expectations were well and truly exceeded. Check-in was efficient and the woman who served me was friendly and polite. Good start!

The rooms are basic and are like study bedrooms in a hall of residence (with the exception of having a double bed) even down to the 'drop in' bathroom units. But all was clean and well maintained and the bed was a good quality foam mattress on a solid base - others have complained about the mattresses being thin, but for me I would rather have a bed with a foam mattress that is firm and supportive (you cant feel the base through the mattress I should add - well at least I couldnt and I weigh almost 12 stone) rather than the cheap and worn sprung mattresses with huge hollows in from the many previous occupants that seem to be an almost ubiquitous feature of too many hotels in the UK!!

The room was quiet with the window shut (my room faced onto the busy Portland Street) and air conditioning sort of works - I say 'sort of' because I set it to 15 degrees to cool the room down quickly and it had no great effect and I was a little too warm in the night, and that is my only grumble about this place - aside from the guest who thought it was appropriate to smoke in the stairwell and leave his cigarette butt on the carpet - why do so many people insist on behaving like dogs??!

Breakfast was fine - really tasty and plump sausages (not the usual rubbish that gets served up), a decent fruit salad and plenty of other choices - and the most pleasant and polite gentleman greeting breakfast guests in a very genuine way. The breakfast area was also noticably very, very clean.

Checkout was a little slow, but there were a lot of people checking out at the same time so I can forgive this.

So, all in all I was relieved to find a hotel in Manchester that was clean, comfortable, quiet and friendly - its taken a while (5 trips and 5 different hotels!) but the Ibis was just fine - OK its not going to win any architecture or interior design awards, but it has all the basics right, something that too many UK hotels seem to struggle with. Thank you to the Ibis staff for restoring my faith in the Manchester hotel industry!! For the price, this puts my previous 4 Manchester hotels to shame - I wouldn't go back to any of them if you paid me, but I would happily return to this particular Ibis hotel.

• Stayed July 2012, travelled on business
4 Thank PhilLondonUK
, General Manager at Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street, responded to this review, 13 July 2012
Thank you for your very kind words. They are very much appreciated. Also thank you very much for your feedback with regards to the great service that you experienced from the team they were delighted with the feedback. We look forward to welcoming you back at Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street Hotel.

Ioannis Koletakis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (166)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
East Midlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 July 2012

OK I'm not going to bore you by going into detail but if your looking for a good location at a good price then this is probably it. 5 minutes from the shops, round the corner from China Town, the location is as good as it gets. Rooms are small but great shower! If it overlooks the main road then obviously there will be a certain degree of noise but if your in Manchester just for the weekend I can highly recommend this hotel! :)

• Stayed October 2011, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Brian S
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Ibis Manchester Centre and look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Rainhill, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012

check in was OK room usual ibis standard,i wanted a meal at about 3pm and the in room menu said they had range of meals available all day so i went down to reception and requested my and sat down in about 10 -15 mins was told it was not available so i left and went down road to Yates and had similar for £1 cheaper.Came back to have shower no shelf to put hair shampoo on and the towels were very very small and thin and threadbare,the shower its self was fine hot and powerful,The air conditioing was hard to control. check out was good

• Stayed June 2012, travelled solo
Thank you for posting your thoughts on here, we really value your feedback. We are currently looking into new towels for the bathroom and I would like to apologise that we did not have the meal you wanted to order however we do offer a full range of meals and snacks from our menu 24/7. I look forward to welcoming you back at Ibis Manchester Centre.

Kind regards, I

oannis Koletakis
Dublin, Ireland
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 2 July 2012

The hotel was clean and good central position. The staff was friendly and prepared, we was able to store the luggage until the check in at 14.00.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for posting your thoughts on here, we really value your feedback. We are currently looking into new towels for the bathrooms and I would like to apologise that we did not have the meal though we do offer a wide range of food on our hotel menu. I look forward to welcoming you back at Ibis Manchester Centre.

Newport
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2012

Stayed here for 2 nights whilst on business. Staff friendly and attentive, room was basic but clean and a good breakfast also. However, it's not on par with Travel Lodge or Premier Inn, who offer a similar hotel. The wifi isn't free, which is dissapointing.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled on business
, General Manager at Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street, responded to this review, 2 July 2012
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Ibis Manchester City Centre, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

In regards to internet usage fees, we appreciate that it might be perceived as expensive; however, it is the best available solution in order to provide our guests with a fast and reliable connection. I hope that my team informed you for our free internet computer desk that we have available for all of our guests in our reception area.

I am pleased to say that we are currently sourcing new more comfortable beds and mattresses that will guaranty a great night’s sleep for our guests. Then, we should be ready to update our bedrooms as well.

We appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to Ibis Manchester City Centre.

Kind Regards, Ioannis Koletakis
Wellington
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 June 2012

If you are in Manchester and need a place to sleep, you could do worse than stay at the Ibis. It was clean but reminded me of my dorm room at university. The ensuite bathroom is a wet room stuck into the side of the room.

This is a budget room, with all that that means. The linen was okay, but the sheet on my twin bed didn't actually fit. It couldn't tuck in. There were two of us and there were two tea bags. It was no problem to get more from reception, just an effort when it would have been nice to have been given more to start with.

The price was great and that is why I am very forgiving of some of the more budget features. The location is also a bonus. I don't know that you'd get a room close by for the price. The staff were friendly at check in and check out.

The only niggle was that they advertised the 'environmental' request that we reuse our own towels by hanging them on the rail, which we did, but they were still replaced. We were happy to reuse but they weren't.

Something else that may be of interest is that we wanted to stay for two nights. Originally it was only going to be one night so I did a price search and got a great price. When we decided that we wanted to stay two nights I was surprised that both nights were significantly more expensive. So I did a search for the original night again and it was cheaper again! It saved us money to book the two nights as separate reservations. Doing this saved us more than $40 on the booking.

The hotel has an arrangement with a local car parking building. To benefit from this discount you need to have your car park ticket validated by the hotel. We did this and it didn't work properly. We wandered back to the hotel and they said "oh that happens sometimes, you just need to call through to the car park help desk", which we did and it was sorted. If you find the same issue, save yourself the walk and just push the button to speak to the car people.

• Stayed June 2012, travelled with friends
Lancashire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 26 June 2012

Stayed here for one night for the purpose of seeing Peal Jam at the Arena.
Check-in from 2pm which was hassle free with the receptionist being most apologetic that I had to wait a couple of minutes whilst she was dealing with another guest.
Room clean and ready with a view onto the main street. Slightly worried that there might be some major noise issues later at night but had a very peaceful sleep on a perfectly rock hard bed! If you don't like hard beds, then this isn't the hotel for you.
Guests have use of the Chorlton Street NCP car park at a reduced rate but be aware that if you're vehicle is approximately 6'6" you may have problems getting under the barrier as we did. We had to use the Q Park situated behing the hotel, also at a discounted rate. However, in order to get a decent discount you have to be out by 9am! We weren't, so were stung with a rather large parking fee.
Breakfast in a buffet style is available at £7.50. I have never had breakfast here, much preferring to breakfast at The Paramount on the corner. As check-out isn't until 12 noon, there's plenty of time.
Check-out was hassle free as we had paid when we booked online.
Would definitely stay here again for any even in the city

• Stayed June 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to at Ibis Manchester Centre. I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we have noted your comments about the beds and I am pleased to say that we are currently sourcing new more comfortable beds and mattresses that will guarantee a great night’s sleep for our guests. Then, we should be ready to update our bedrooms as well.

As for the parking we also use Sackville Street at the same rate as Chorlton Street which is an open air car park with no height restrictions. We are also sorry that you did not have breakfast at the hotel and we provide a Full English Breakfast at only £7.50 which includes Sausage, Bacon, Scrambled Egg, Beans as well as Cereal, toast, fruit, cheeses, ham, yoghurts and a selection of pastries.

Once again thank you for your review and I look forward to seeing you again in the near future.

Kind regards, Ioannis Koletakis