“nice hotel”

Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street
Ranked #52 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 17 November 2012

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family
IbisManchester, Manager at Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street, responded to this reviewResponded 2 December 2012

Reviewed 16 November 2012

we stayed here for four nights in june 2012. The location was excellent and is in walking distance of the city centre, china town etc. They require payment for the room at check in so this worth bearing in mind. The staff on reception are not very helpful in my opnion and didnt seem that clued in in terms of where places were located with in the city. The room was ok but faced portland street and was noisy 24/7, i would suggest asking for a room at the back.

• Stayed: June 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank vickydyson716
IbisManchester, General Manager at Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street, responded to this reviewResponded 5 December 2012

Thank you for posting your thoughts on here, we really value your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back at Ibis Manchester Centre. Kind regards, Ioannis Koletakis

Reviewed 14 November 2012

Booked for three nights but only stayed in the room for 45 minutes while I arranged another hotel. The room needs updating but that was not the problem. The bathroom stank of urine; the phone did not work and had a very old telephone number on it, which I tried to call from my mobile to speak with reception only to be told it was the wrong number ; the room was drafty though the window appeared to be doubleglazed. The kettle did not work. The staff were polite but nonchalant.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Ibis Manchester City Centre, but I was very disappointed to hear that we did not exceed your expectations. Please accept my sincerest apologies and we are looking forward to wow you at your next visit.
Kind regards, Ioannis Koletakis

Reviewed 11 November 2012

Nice clean hotel, above the budget and below expensive. Got 1 night with breakfast for 2 people for £84. Subsidised parking close by at £6. Bedroom was adequate, bed was new and comfy, bathroom was a pod wet room. I thought it was going to be noisy as close to the Manchester village but was very quiet (usual noisy guests you always get but quiet bt 11pm).
Breakfast was eat as much as you want continental but also had full English, excellent value for money. Will go back for our next trip.

Room Tip: No extra for early checkin or late checkout
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple

My team and I always welcome positive feedback from our guest. I was pleased to hear that you enjoyed your stay with us at Ibis Manchester Portland Street. Also, I was really glad that you had a great night sleep in our new beds.

We are looking forward to welcome you back in our hotel.

Kindest regards,

Jeremy Vrancken
Assistant General Manager

Reviewed 11 November 2012

The reception and public arease are very bright and clean.
but the walk to your room is very different, corradors ahave a feel of not being touched for years, dull and "musty".
the rooms are fit for purpose - a wonderful "pod" like bshoweroom, with a large shower space is welcome.

wifi & internet
in the rooms it is via cable - but really expensive, wifi is available in the downstairs area, byt again very expensive - its cheaper to buy a 3g dongle & run it for a week if there!

in 2012 one would start to expect this to be an included free service.
Breakfast is the usual standard offer - fit for purpose.

the best think about this venue is its location!

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business
Review collected in partnership with Easytobook.com

Thank you for posting your thoughts on here, we really value your feedback. I am pleased to say that we have recently sourced brand new comfortable beds and mattresses that guarantee a great night’s sleep for our guests. We are also currently updating our bedrooms as well. I look forward to welcoming you back at Ibis Manchester Centre. Kind regards, Ioannis Koletakis

Reviewed 7 November 2012 via mobile

Got twin for £50. The reception and bar is lovely ! Modern and obviously refurbished more recently than the rooms. The room we had was 301, had a walk in bathroom and was a bit small, wasn't anything wrong with the place but compared to my last ibis in Singapore the standard wasn't the same

• Stayed: October 2012

Happy to hear that you enjoyed your stay at Ibis Manchester Centre. I look forward to your next visit. Kind regards, Ioannis Koletakis

Reviewed 5 November 2012

I visited this hotel during the week of the 26th October 2012 for 3 nights. I chose the hotel based on reviews and having walked past the outside a few times while staying at other hotels in the area. It was also one of the few that had rooms when I needed it and it was a reasonable cost. I don't think I will stay here again in the near future.

The first thing that kind of put me off the hotel was the budget AA sign on the door, seeing as I had paid over £100 for the room and then another £7.50 for breakfast I was surprised to see the budget sign as I walked in.

Check in was efficient if a little strange, firstly they asked for ID when checking in. I have never had this in the UK and they took my driving license and photocopied it stating they did it for all web bookings, not really sure why and wasn't too happy on that. They also missed the fact I had ordered breakfast but quickly sorted that out.

Now the lobby area, which doubles as an eating point and bar is quite modern, clean and stylish. Brightly lit with cool chairs and some computers, it all looks very nice and attractive. But this is where it stopped, I took the lift up to the 2nd floor, and walked out into an unattractive dated open area which did not appeal at all. My room was straight off this lobby area and was a big let down as I walked in.

The door opened onto the bed almost which filled the room, leaving a bit of space for a desk, a TV and the smallest wardrobe ever. The bathroom was a plastic pod with a sliding door at the end of the room and the whole place reminded me of my university room or a prison cell. The whole room just felt a little bit messy and uncared for, almost like they had missed it on some update to the rest of the hotel.

The room was a disabled access room so had the normal pull cords and everything, but I wouldn't have liked to try and get a wheel chair around the room in any manner.

The best bit about the room was the bed which was actually very comfortable and I had a good nights sleep each night I was there.

I found the wireless connection ropey at best, but having travelled a lot this is quite often the case in the hotels I go to as they cannot cope with the requirements on the networks. The television was also limited at only having about 7 channels which is just strange.

As I was only on the 2nd floor I used the stairs to go up and down to my room as it makes me feel healthier while away. The stair well was also in need of some work to update and the carpet really needs changing.

Breakfast was down in the stylish lobby and was busy most mornings, this meant fighting for food and tables as there isn't that much room in the area. The breakfast was functional if not brilliant, I have had better and I have had worse. There was an ok selection of continental items and hot English breakfast. The queue for the over stylised coffee machine was a bit much at times.

The location of the hotel is pretty good if you want things around Oxford Road. China Town is just behind the hotel and the buffets nearby are pretty good for food.

If I had paid £60 or £70 for the room I may not have been as unhappy with the room as I wouldn't have expected that much, but for a hotel over £100 a night this is not a good deal.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back are quieter due to Portland Street
  • Stayed: October 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Ibis Manchester City Centre, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

As part of our hotels rebranding we are currently refurbishing our bedrooms. All our rooms now have brand new beds and mattresses that guarantee a great night’s sleep for our guests. We are also currently renewing the bedroom carpets and repainting the bedrooms.

With regards to Identification on arrival, Accor Group centrally is working to ensure that cards processed online or via a third party booking agency are all secured against fraud, therefore the hotel will request on arrival for the payment card or a valid photo identification in order to reduce the risk of fraud.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to give the hotel your valuable feedback and trusting that with the actions documented above we will have the pleasure of your company at Ibis Manchester Centre again very soon.

Ioannis Koletakis