“Decent budget hotel with a super bed!”

Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street
Ranked #46 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
London
“Decent budget hotel with a super bed!”
Reviewed 16 December 2012

Stayed at the IBIS as I was attending a conference in Manchester and thought the conference hotel was too expensive. The room is basic and to be honest a bit clinical and depressing which goes for the rest of the hotel. My colleague and I wanted to go for a beer in the hotel bar (which doubles as the hotel’s restaurant) but found that this lacked complete atmosphere and looked rather like a work canteen. The bathroom is a separate unit within the room but works fine although the water pressure is a bit weak but very clean which goes for the rest of the room as well. Small telly but a very comfortable bed that match if not exceed bed I have slept in at 4 or 5 * hotels. Breakfast was good. Overall the hotel was fine for a short stay but I think I would have found it depressing to stay here for more than a couple of days!

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
IbisManchester, General Manager at Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street, responded to this review, 17 December 2012
Thank you for taking the time to write a review. I am pleased that you enjoyed your stay at Ibis Manchester Centre and look forward to seeing you again in the near future. Kind regards, Ioannis Koletakis

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Banbury, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 December 2012 via mobile

One nights stay for a friends wedding at the town Hall. Perfect location, excellent staff all in all pretty faultless, room a bit tired but it is due a refurb. Found out Midland Hotel, far superior was £15 cheaper and included breakfast,but cest la vie.

Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Thank you very much for your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit at Ibis Manchester Centre. I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Kind regards, Ioannis Koletakis
Western australia
Reviewed 10 December 2012

I am sorry I got my dates mixed up and booked the 05/12/12 and 06/12/12 when I should have booked the 05/01/13 and 06/01/13. Therefore I paid for 3 rooms each night when I didn't stay there and have just realised thanks to you so I have just rebooked the rooms.

Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
IbisManchester, Manager at Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street, responded to this review, 1 January 2013
Thank you very much for sharing with us your feelings about the reservation problem you had to face. I understand that you have unfortunately mixed the dates when booking. Should you wish to discuss this further, please do not hesitate to talk with our front office staff upon check-in.

I am looking forward to welcome you in ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

Newcastle, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 December 2012

Stayed one night at this Ibis. An initial problem with the reservation was compensated by the cheerful determination of Receptionist Maria to get it sorted (which she did). All staff friendly and helpful. Hotel spotlessly clean, warm and comfortable. The food was good, only minor black mark was that there was no HP sauce at breakfast! (or I couldn't find it). It is not a luxury hotel, but it is not a luxury price. It is very good value for money. I would stay here again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Belfast, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 December 2012 via mobile

On arrival, we were greeted by two ladies who spoke very poor English. Went to room to find it tiny. Two very narrow single beds and a bathroom you could hardly turn around in. When opening shower door it hit off the toilet almost breaking the glass. Shower head was broken but it was however fixed as soon as we told staff. Although the hotel is generally very clean, the carpet in the room was well stained and sticky in parts. There are better hotels in the area for around the same price so wont be staying there again.

• Stayed November 2012
1 Thank Cantonasbigbrother
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the Ibis Manchester City Centre, but I was very disappointed to hear that we did not exceed your expectations. Please accept my sincerest apologies and we are looking forward to wow you at your next visit.
Ioannis Koletakis
Maidstone, England, United Kingdom
Reviewed 28 November 2012

Ok, so I get that this is a budget hotel. Accepted. However, when compared with similar priced budgets like Premier Inn just a short stroll down the road on Portland Street, this is poor value.

The reception and bar/breakfast area is deceiving - it is modern, recently refurbed and nicely fitted out. Staff on check in were pleasant but nothing more.

Went up in the lift to my room (Whilst the staff member watched me struggle/ignore me to activate the lift using your key card) and got out on the third floor. I can only describe this as a concrete clad back of a supermarket type service area. The corridors were wide and large with no decor, just white painted concrete walls. When I say concrete walls, I don't mean in an urban, trendy way, I mean 1960's tower block. It was just unwelcoming as a place to sleep. In need of a repaint and general modernisation.

Hey-ho, I thought - its just a corridor. Oh no, as I walked into my room, it resembled something like a prison cell where the white concrete wall theme continued. It echoed, felt very un-homely and I noticed a dull square of painted concrete where a picture once was (now ripped off of the wall). The woodwork was chipped and damaged and the curtains hanging off their rails.

Wi-fi does not exist and the hardwired connection/TV internet did not function at all. No freeview - only the basic 5 channels.

I arrived late so asked for a pizza from the bar that I would collect. 15 minutes later I was told they have no pizzas left so I went next door to Subway.

On the plus side, the bed was comfortable and room clean. Bathroom was an odd pod like area in the corner - good size and the shower was powerful. The comfort of the bed and the decent shower saved this review from being a "terrible".

Massive queue on check out - no sense of urgency from the staff - one of whom were dealing, worryingly, with a pest contractor!!!

I'm due to stay here again on business next week - I will certainly arrange for this to be re-arranged

Good location - Ok for stag do's etc but if you're travelling alone or on business etc and appreciate a tiny amount of home comforts in a budget hotel, opt for the Premier Inn down the road.

• Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
1 Thank Ian C
IbisManchester, Manager at Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street, responded to this review, 2 December 2012
Thank you for taking the time to tell us about your stay at the ibis Manchester City Centre Portland Street, but I was very disappointed to hear that your experience did not meet your expectations. Please allow me to express my sincerest apologies.

At ibis, we strive to provide a superior service experience for every guest and your feedback is very important to us.

I am sure you will be glad to hear that we have planned a "Stair case & Corridor" refurbishement by the end of 2012 / beginning of 2013 alongside with some rooms refurbishement.

In relation to the service provided by our team, I would like to confirm that actions are being performed in order to avoid any reoccurences.

Guest welfare is very important to us. Therefore, we do have indeed a contract with a pest contractor visiting our property on a periodical basis as a preventive action. Thanks to those checks and preventive actions being undertaken, we never had to face any pest issues since the hotel opened in 2001.

On a positive note, I was very happy to hear that you had a good night sleep in our new beds. And that you appreciated our shower facilities.

We appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back to the ibis Manchester City Centre Portland Street and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience.

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 November 2012

Came to manchester for the football with my partner stayed in ibis before they have changed the beds had a great nights sleep got a quite room on the back of the hotel the breakfast has been updated and looks great hotel clean and tidy as normal staff so frendly bar was busy at night got served quickly staff remembered me from my last stay nice touch the same guy andy was on the bar from my last visit and he remembered us very frendly and welcoming staff member had a great night at the bar because of him had a great stay again keep up the great work

Room Tip: ask for a room on the back of the hotel