“Too much noise”

Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street
Ranked #46 of 116 Hotels in Manchester

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Indonesian first
  • Korean first
  • Polish first
  • Turkish first
Lancashire
Reviewed 9 March 2014

Stayed her for two nights beginning of March. Ideal location for Theatre, shops and restaurants. Reception were efficient and friendly and provided us with a map of the area. Room was clean and comfortable. Only downside was our room was at the front of the hotel and was a bit noisy. Our friends had a room at the back and was a bit quieter. Wouldn't put me off staying but would ask for a room at the back. Breakfast was good value and staff excellent in letting you know when they were closing so could have that last coffee.

Room Tip: Rooms at the back of the hotel seem a bit quieter.
  • Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
IbisManchester, General Manager at Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street, responded to this review, 10 March 2014
Dear SophieLancashire,

Many thanks for your kind review. I am glad my team made your stay enjoyable.

Kind Regards,

Falkirk, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

We booked this hotel 6 months in advance as we had tickets for Micheal Buble and got a decent room rate. The location of the hotel is great only minutes from the city centre and and train stations. Reception area is very modern upmarket unfortunately the room corridors could do with a make over ! The room itself is a good size with the usual basic amenities. Bathroom is like a plastic pod which is actually really good with a nice big shower. If you get a decent price on a room here it is definitely worth a visit.

Stayed March 2014, travelled as a couple
Dear JohnG6,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to the ibis Manchester Centre, Portland Street. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we have noted your comments about the corridors, which we are addressing.

Reviewed 8 March 2014 via mobile

Me and my friend stayed for one night having visited Manchester to see Michael Buble. Check in took about 5mins and there was a little confusion but we got there eventually, staff helpful and friendly, room clean and comfortable. Rooms were bijou, comfy beds, long but very narrow. Bathroom compact but clean, reminded me of a bathroom in a caravan and just as noisy when outside in the room. Only let down was disrespectful noisy guests. We had a taxi booked for 6:15 to take us to the airport so had an earlyish night but the noise from other guests, above us, and either side of us went on into the early hrs preventing us both from getting much sleep. On checking out there wasn't anyone present at the desk and we couldn't wait as our cab was waiting for us. We have emailed today and are awaiting a reply. It's not their fault that some people don't know how to behave but maybe a staff presence walking the corridors at night might stop this. A little disappointing but great location and friendly staff.

Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
Dear Emmajsy,

Thank you for your feedback. We treat all of our comments with the utmost seriousness and we will be investigating this matter accordingly.

Iceland
Reviewed 6 March 2014

I saw some of the negative comments and was a little worried. Turned out fine. Comfortable room, had to wait a little while to check in but the staff was great. Did not have breakfast. It looked pretty basic. Great location and would stay there again if I am only spending one night. Think I might choose another place if I was spending a few days.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
IbisManchester, General Manager at Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street, responded to this review, 7 March 2014
Dear CanViking,

London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 4 March 2014

I stayed here one night, on a business trip. Overall it was very impressive - the room spotlessly clean, the bed very comfortable indeed and the staff extra friendly. Sound proofing was extremely good, both from outside and from adjacent rooms. As others have commented, it is very convenient for the city centre, and is short walk from Manchester Piccadilly station. The charge was very reasonable. As you'd expect from a budget hotel, the towel was on the small side though still adequate, and of course there was no rail to hang it on to dry overnight.

What got me though was the quality of the loo paper which brought back strong memories of Bronco in the 50s - surely a false economy as you need to use more? And if you're not used to it, it hurts. I already take my bar of soap wherever I go as I hate fiddly little bits of soap that then get thrown away or (as here) liquid soap dispensers - now if I go to an Ibis in the UK again, I'll have to try to remember to pack a loo roll too.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled on business
IbisManchester, General Manager at Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street, responded to this review, 6 March 2014
Dear Charles L,

Thank you very much for your review, I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit to the ibis Manchester Centre, Portland Street. I look forward to welcoming you back again soon.

mallorca
Reviewed 3 March 2014

We stayed in this hotel last week for a five night break in Manchester. I had a problem when making the reservation which I really believe could have been rectified by the Head Office of the company before arrival, but this was sadly not the case. It was only upon insisting various times and numerous e.mails, did I even get a standard 'take it or leave it' reply. Very bad customer service Ibis. I contacted the hotel directly in the end and we would like to thank Andy for all of his help which showed a professional and caring attitude resolving our problem immediately. Thanks also to Sylvia on front desk who was also such a lovely person. Due to the personnel in the hotel, our break was very pleasant.
The hotel is well situated and the rooms are of course basic but clean. Only downside was having one towel per person and not a hand towel to be seen. The charge of two pounds per case to store in the luggage room was unexpected and we thought, somewhat abusive.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled with family
IbisManchester, General Manager at Ibis Manchester Centre Portland Street, responded to this review, 4 March 2014
Dear ELIZABETHMALLORCA,

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to the ibis Manchester Centre, Portland Street. I am delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we have noted your comments about the initial issues you faced when making the reservation.