“excellant value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Review of Diamond Lodge

Diamond Lodge
Ranked #65 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Whitehaven, United Kingdom
“excellant value for money”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 1 June 2013

we have stopped at this hotel 4 times now,jls concert,s and magic weekends(rugby league) included .good clean friendly hotel with a great breakfast included at a reasonable price.the hotel has a free carpark and a bus stop outside the hotel which mean's that you can park up and enjoy whatever it is that has brought you to manchester,the rail link into town is about 500 yard's away. (the bus is easier)
it's about 15/20 minute's walk to the etihad stadium (£7.30 taxi).
very reasonable bar and restaurant price's.
we can thouroughly reccomend this hotel ,and we will hopefully be using it again.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Greek first
UK
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2013

This was a very last minute stay to enable me to attend a friend's dinner party (rather than train home alone late) and I was a little apprehensive having read other comments on here. The receptionist I spoke to on the telephone was pleasant and quite prepared to arrange a quieter room for me from the few they had left so on this impression I booked.

On arrival parking was no problem even though the car park was busy. I was met by John at Reception - he was lovely, a real character and incredibly helpful. Check in was quick and I was provided with information re breakfast times, local taxi's (freephone in Reception) and advised that all public areas were covered by cctv - I did see these images being checked too at different times which was reassuring.

My first floor room overlooked an exterior storage area and the decor was a little tired BUT the room was immaculately clean (even the top of the wardrobe - I checked!!). There was complimentary tea/coffee, extra pillows (in a zipped bag so not dusty) and a working hairdryer. The bathroom had both a bath and shower over. Towels were clean and plentiful and there was an actual wrapped glass for teeth rinsing and not the horrid plastic cups one usually finds. The shower was powerful and the water hot.

Downstairs Reception was bright and again, clean although the courtyard area could perhaps do with some replacement furniture. The beer prices were reasonable and, again John (who seemed to be everywhere) provided prompt service. He advised the hotel was full due to a large Rugby tournament locally.

On returning to the hotel at 12.30 a.m. I was surprised that it was so quiet. There was a small mixed group of later years finishing off their drinks in the bar area but no-one else about, other than John.

My night's sleep was uneventful and not broken by any noise (I had taken ear plugs based on other reviews but didn't need them). The bed was comfortable and the sheets clean.

Breakfast was available from 7.00 until 10.00 a.m. and I went down about 8.00 a.m. There were a few other people about but the atmosphere was quite and pleasant. There was plenty of empty tables which I was most surprised to note had clean cloths and small vases of real roses on them - again given other reports, most unexpected. The choice of food was reasonable, cereal, fresh fruit, toast, the whole 'full english choice' and pastries. Coffee/tea and juice was from a machine but the coffee was hot.

I can honestly say I have had worse stays in much higher rated hotels and, given the price I paid, I was pleased I made the decision to do so.

• Stayed May 2013, travelled solo
West Midlands
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2013

It's definately a budget hotel which is one thing they got right on their website. We stayed at this hotel to go to the football as it stated on the website it was close to the stadium, it wasnt.

Reception staff were lovely and helpful, room was interesting.. Bed was very solid and uncomfortable and we had a room on the main road so noise was terrible, actually sounded like the window was open! Also the air conditioning is fabulous (no air con its the windows when they are closed)
There were stains all over the chair in the room but the rest of the room was clean.
Breakfast again was what you paid for really average budget breakfast but a bit cold.

Wouldnt stay here again unfortunately but for anyone going to this hotel request a room which isnt facing the road if you want a good nights sleep.

Room Tip: Just a room not on the main road.
Plymouth, UK
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 May 2013

I was put here by an airline after a delay meant a missed flight.
I don't know what they charge but for a basic hotel I have no complaints. The staff were very helpful and friendly.
The room smelt slightly musty but opening the window for a while sorted that.
Room was quite small but was very clean.
Breakfast was very nice.
If I have to include a negative point I'd say there was a fair bit of traffic noise but it's in a city so has to be expected.

Room Tip: Ask for one away from the road
Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
St Neots, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 May 2013

This is a budget hotel and sells itself as one so you cannot really expect 4star luxury.

The room was clean and of a good size, while the bathroom had everything you could wish for and was well maintained. The breakfast in the morning (which is included in the price) was really good, as you could have all you wanted.

With most places like this you will find some rooms better than others however, for the money, it is an absolute bargain!

• Stayed May 2013, travelled on business
Dublin, Ireland
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2013

We were very disappointed with our stay in the hotel. We never saw the two lady staff members smile while we were there for the two days. They shouted across the reception & dining area at each other. They looked like it was their first day on the job.

On the first night I had a seafood platter. The scampie was served cold. When I mentioned this to the waitress she said it should be fried. There was nothing she could do about it. I could complain to the manager in the morning. The next night we were told they could not take orders for twenty minutes as they were too busy. There was about six people eating. We did not wait to eat.
Service was dreadful. No one cared about the customer. The toilet floor had not been washed in a long time my feet were sticking to it.

Would not hurry back

• Stayed May 2013, travelled as a couple

Travellers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Bolton, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 6 May 2013

Stayed for just one night. Check in quick and efficient. Room clean but with a distinctive musty, lived in aroma. Bathroom floor covering was bubbled and lifting due to water egress.Shower was powerful and refreshing. Mattress was of the memory foam type and was very comfortable. Went to the bar for a drink which is attached to reception so is served by the two receptionists on duty. We ordered our drinks which the lady started pouring. She then stopped half way through and commenced serving other people, I noticed our drinks appeared to join the other customers order. She then went to serve another customer. We highlighted the fact that she had taken our order but had then subsequently ignored us, she replied, "What did you order", we told her and it suddenly dawned on her that she had given our drinks to the other customer. She said, "Sorry, everyones in my face" There were no more than five at the bar!!! On a personal opinion, the two receptionists were adorned with several tattoos clearly on display on the arms and neck which I find unprofessional. Breakfast was a free for all, no check in just find an empty table, which we did, that had not been prepared (help yourself to cutlery) Everything was self service. It appears that anyone could walk in off the street and help themselves. Food was usual mass produced and kept in warming containers. At the time of our stay there was a large contingent of Irish Manchester United football fans who were loud but friendly. Would I use the Hotel again - no. Would I recommend it to someone who wanted a cheap over night stop near to Manchester - probably.

1 Thank Mike187053