“Location & Transport Issues”
3 of 5 bubbles Review of Diamond Lodge

Diamond Lodge
Ranked #65 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Weymouth, United Kingdom
“Location & Transport Issues”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

This is a lovely hotel, the rooms are very nice and clean and comfortable. Very good wifi.

Shame about the location, when we looked at booking this, it said 10 minutes from Manchester but what it does not say is that it is on the wrong side of Manchester.

When you walk to the train station, it does not feel very safe and there is no electronic board or announcements to say that the trains are not turning up but just did not show up and there is no staff, no lights and very unsecure. We went down there and as 2 females it was not very nice to have a group of lads walk down to where we standing.

The buses are very crowded and it was not a pleasant experience.

• Stayed November 2013, travelled with friends

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (86)
  • Greek first
Llanelli, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

My partner an I stayed at the Diamond Lodge Hotel recently. The hotel is directly opposite Belle Vue Dog Track...

The hotel is busy and enjoys a client / corporate catchment.
The hotel has one oddity, you can have a fried egg with your evening meal but not with breakfast.

Breakfast is all you can eat with a great selection of cooked and cereals etc but you cant have a fried egg..you can plead beg or complain but no fried eggs at breakfast..

The rooms are clean and well appointed with ample hot water in the bath room.

The hotel owners, Mr and Mrs Smith have a long proven history in the hotel and hospitality trade and this reflects today in the Diamond Lodge..

The hotel represents good value for money

Room Tip: Any room..........
  • Stayed November 2013, travelled on business
Solihull, England, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 November 2013

Stayed for 3 nights. I have to say the stars of hotel are the 2 ladies than run breakfast... They are FAB !!! and the night porter, BUT the reviews are right about the reception staff, they are cold and distant in attitude. They need a good course in customer service. The biggest issue was the FREE wifi, it never worked properly, and that would make me stay somewhere else next time !!!, Apart from all that great value.

Room Tip: All the same.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
Stockport, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 October 2013

This is a very very basic hotel ideal location for transport links, bus services to the city centre (15mins away). Man City's ground is 5 mins away, but note at the weekend if Man Utd are at home this hotel is used by Irish traveling fans who do not leave until Sunday. It is a very noisy hotel with running up and down the corridors, screaming shouting etc. It is cheap for a reason. Rooms at the front of the hotel are on a very busy main road so expect to hear traffic all night, sirens etc. It is clean, but the rooms are on par with as some people were saying prison cells. There is a restaurant food again basic and well interesting nothing looks edible. Breakfast is in with the room cost and not bad. Self service, hot bacon, sausage, scrambled egg, toast etc. Juices and hot drinks are available. Those using the hotel for odd night not football related or on a hen/stag party all complained. People were even allowed to smoke weed outside the front door on Saturday night, my partner couldn't believe it. THIS HOTEL IS AN EXPERIENCE, BUT YOU PAY FOR WHAT YOU GET. Will not be returning for any reason.

Room Tip: Ask for a room away from the very busy main road or you will listen to heavy traffic and sirens all...
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with family

Travellers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Scarborough, United Kingdom
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 October 2013

We stayed at this hotel if thats what you can call it for one night 1st October 2013. All I can say is please DO NOT stay at this hotel. When we arrived tthe whole car park was full of work vans and a group of them were smoking outside the main entrance. when we eventually got inside a football match was being shown on a television in the bar which is ajacent to the reception, approx 50 workmen were screeming and shouting at the screen. The receptionist eventually said "Are you booking in darling theres your key card babe f****** hell its noisy in here I cant hear myself speak" we found our room it was cold, heater didnt work, it was dark and dingey the bed had a memory foam mattress but still had the original blocks underneath which were stuck out and I badly knocked my leg on it. As it was gone 8pm we couuldnt start to find anywhere else so we headed out to china town for a meal. when we got to the hotels main entrance we were greeted by three prostitutes agreeing prices with several workmen, we watched a little longer from the car and as we thought the women entered the hotel and went off towards the bedrooms. This is obviously a regular thing as they must all know this hotel is full of workmen on most evenings.
When we arrived back from our meal the noise was still bad in the bar so we went to bed. we soon realised the window was broken and blowing a gale and as the heater didnt work we ended up having to get into bed fully clothed. The room we had is also right outside a big illuminated light saying Diamond Lodge only 45 pounds a night. It was so bright in the room it kept us awake all night we eventually fell asleep at around 5am but was soon woken by workmen getting upp for work at 6am. We didnt bother with breakfast and instead asked to see the manager, who was actually the receptionist too we aired or concerns about the hotel and he virtually laughed in our faces he didnt believe a word we said and all he cold say was I will have to inspect the room when I can before I can pass judgement which would have to be later as i am on my own. I left my hone number and he called back later that day to say they would not be refunding my money as everything seemed fine to them. What happpened to the customer is always right. I am a business woman and go up to London every cople of weeks from the south, I usually stay nearer the centre but as it was the Conservative party conferance I was very limited in where I cold get in. All I can say to you is DO NOT EVEN THINK ABOUT STAYING AT DIAMOND LODGE thank goodness I got my money back from the bank who dishis isnuted this for me. This place who I understand is privately owned by a Mr & Mrs Smith who are never available should be SHUT DOWN...

• Stayed October 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank DJY65
Swaffham, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 4 October 2013

The Diamond Lodge is a privately run 'out of centre' hotel/lodge facility, with plentiful free parking and the advantage of an all inclusive full Breakfast buffet, whilst still at an economy price. Easy access, to the city centre is by a fifteen minute ride by multiple buses that stop outside the venue.
The hotel is showing to be a little tired and needs some freshening up in décor. However, the rooms are comfortable, clean and fully equipped, with more storage space than many of the similar style outlets, as well as room telephones and bathroom accessories. The Bar and Restaurant facilities are more attractive than to be expected in the multiple premier/economy chain outlets.
Very convenient for many of the important sports venues and has all night access for late return from city activities.
The problem is the adjacent main road, which has traffic all night and can spoil a good night's sleep if unfortunate to have a room on that side.
The lack of a Lift can be a difficulty for some visitors.

Room Tip: The rooms with numbers above *20 are away from the main road and should be obtained if possible.
  • Stayed October 2013, travelled with friends
1 Thank Ian P
Abbots Langley, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 27 September 2013

Booked here after a week at the nearby Travelodge which was not impressive!
£3 per day parking, £20 per week for WiFi & £7.65 for very average breakfast.
DL came in at £45 with parking, WiFi and buffet breakfast with a good basic choice.
Restaurant a little dear but good choice and no complaints.
Room adequate for a budget hotel but cleaned perfectly each day. Pleased with my choice.

Room Tip: Belle Vue Stadium side as long as the racing isn't on.
  • Stayed September 2013, travelled on business