“great stay”

Ranked #65 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Birkenhead, United Kingdom
“great stay”
Reviewed 18 May 2014

I cannot believe some of the reviews on here about this hotel..we stayed for one night in room 217 the room was spotless (yes the tiles in bathroom at the bottom could do with a scrub)but overall everywhere was clean and the cleaners name was on a card in room if you had any complaints.. our bedding was extremely clean, towels were THICK and WHITE.. For £45 bed and great breakfast for two people what do people expect 4 or 5* ??? there was,nt any smell staff were really friendly maybe we went on a quite night although there was a lot of Rugby fans there for the weekend and Belle Vue race track was busy as well I would highly recommend this hotel and hope people will make there own minds up I like to give credit were its due and do not agree at all with some of the bad comments on here !!! we went for the dog racing and it could,nt be any nearer we had a great time.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (87)
  • Greek first
Reviewed 11 May 2014 via mobile

Stayed one night as part of a stag do. Check in was straight forward and stayed in a twin room on top floor. Hotel was clean if a little dated. Room was nousy due to being next to main road. Location ideal for greyhound track less than 50 mtrs away. £8 into City Centre by taxi. Breakfast was reasonable.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Belper, Derbyshire
Reviewed 7 May 2014

I was away for a weekend with my 8 year old son to do Sealife & Legoland at the Trafford Centre. I chose this because I thought it wasn't far from the Trafford Centre and the price was obviously appealing for a one night stay. We did find the receptionist helpful though found quite a lot of people in the bar area and quite boisterous. I think that this is one of those places booked by lads on a weekend away to Manchester as signs around the Lodge kept stating that guests should be quiet when returning late at night. So I wasn't expecting to sleep well but to be fair most guests were quiet. I only heard one party returning in the early hours.
The room itself was large but not great. Just good enough for a single night stay. Free wi-fi helped as I had work to do at night.
Breakfast was included but I wouldn't return for another one. Canteenesque food really. If you are there when it is brought out it's hot if not it's going to be tepid.
I wouldn't return even though the price was a huge bonus for a one night stay.
If this has helped you stay away and choose a better hotel please Tick "Helpful" It will be appreciated

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
1 Thank thefastwalker

Travellers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Chester, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 April 2014

Stayed here for one night. Check in was quick and straight forward. Staff pleasant enough. Got to room. Rooms and corridors were clean and tidy however there was a strong smell of what can only be described as musty damp throughout.

Rooms were perfectly adequate for our needs. A little noisy due to being next to a main road and greyhound racing stadium, but otherwise we slept very well. Beds were a little firm but not uncomfortably so.

Bar service was a little slow. But that was largely due to the fact the receptionist was also the barman, so service was split. Not a reflection on the staff, they did their best with what they were given.

• Stayed April 2014
Almeria, Spain
Reviewed 7 April 2014

I have struggled to find just three plus points. They are (1) the receptionists were pleasant and efficient (2) there was plenty of hot water and (3) bar prices were reasonable (a pint of Carlsberg £3.30).

The minus points are: (1) having booked through Booking.com I could hardly miss a huge hoarding outside the hotel offering the same room & breakfast for £7 cheaper than I had paid online (2) everything creaked - doors, floors and windows (3) between the tiles at ground level in the bathroom was black filth (4) the shower was held together with tape (5) no shampoo (6) towels were so old and worn you could poke your finger through them (7) bed linen was stained, worn and washed out to paper thin (8) above the bar was a permanent notice advertising the opening hours as "noon to 12.30am" - the staff claimed the bar was only licensed until 11pm so it was shut at that time leaving around 10/12 very dissatisfied residents who had to accept what the staff said as correct. So why not remove the permanent notice and get rid of the confusion?

I believe I have given a fair review as all of the above is true for Room 221. Therefore, in all honesty I cannot recommend this hotel and because it was so appallingly bad I decided to forgo the possibility of another shocking experience by skipping the breakfast I had paid for and eating in Central Manchester. I will not be coming back to The Diamond Lodge and the irony is that the wi-fi password is "jewel" - I can assure anyone reading this, that a jewel it is certainly not.

Room Tip: First tip - don't stay here. Second tip - if you have to stay here, you must hunt down a good ro...
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled solo
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 6 April 2014 via mobile

We had planned and booked to stay for two nights and only lasted one! The hotel stinks, it's the best way to describe the disgusting smell that permeates the whole building. The bed linen was horrific with stains on the sheets. The food inedible.
I would seriously recommend anyone considering staying at this place to think again.
To make matters even worse I didn't get any response after I wrote complaining about our stay. We have stayed in hotels all over the world and even the worst hotel we stayed in was 5 stars ahead of Diamond Lodge.

Stayed February 2014, travelled on business
Whittlesey, United Kingdom
Reviewed 2 April 2014

We arrived for a relaxing weekend break in Manchester. The Car Park & Hotel are Okay, it started clean and tidy, but on our return at 21:00 on a Saturday night, there was around 100+
people drinking/smoking and playing football in the Car park, with NO respect for other guests or their property...Trip Advisor will not let me identify these people on discrimination grounds.
The 'few' staff tried to cope, but were overwhelmed - Kids running around until 04:30 in the morning, Kids being sick in the hallways - it carried on until passed 05:00.
After these 'Guests' departed, some normality returned.
The staff did a great job of clearing up.
The breakfasts good, and overall the price and room were also good.
I did speak with the owner on departure, she was very apologetic and said that although the hotel was always 'busy/full' on Football days, this particular weekend was 'worse' than they normally experience.
Some rooms face the A57 main road, which can be noisy with on average 3 emergency vehicles an hour with sirens going most of the day/night.
Would we stay again Yes but Not of a Football day...

Room Tip: Maybe choose a room not facing the main road
  • Stayed April 2014, travelled as a couple