“What has happened to my favourite restaurant?!?!?!?”
Review of Southern 11 - CLOSED

Southern 11
Cuisines: American
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Dining options: Breakfast, After-hours, Reservations
Reviewed 22 April 2014

Sothern Eleven was one of my favourite places to eat in Manchester.

When I have visited there we normally ordered, the pickle spears, baby Gem lettuce, and a bowl of olives to start then struggle with what to have for a main until finally just going for the combination platter to get a bit of everything.

So on Saturday evening we arrive and order our staple starters and main. We have not been there for some time (probably 8 months)

So the starters arrive…. WOW what has happened. The pickle spears are the same BUT the olives are now covering in some sort of sauce, why would anyone want to eat an olive in BBQ/Hot sauce??!!??!

The baby gem lettuce used to come with a large bowl of blue cheese dip made with black sticks blue cheese which was fantastic, I would have had a fight with my own mother for the last bit, it was that good!

Anyway the abomination that was the blue cheese dip that was served this time was foul, and you only got the smallest amount possible, quite literally 1 table spoon full.

So it was with a very heavy heart that I was expecting my main meal.

When it came it was EXTREAMLY disappointing, they have taken to serving the food in a metal tray with the chips in a tin cup, not sure what they are going for but to me it was like eating in a American prison, which I am 99% certain is not what they were going for.

The pulled pork was nice, but again a very small portion and no-where near enough BBQ sauce. The belly pork was good but on 3 of our platters they had bones in them, would that not make it a rib?? Again there was not enough sauce making the meal taste quite dry.

The beef brisket was ok but again we only got 2 slices which left us a little flat.

The drinks were fantastic and I have a horrible feeling that slowly this restaurant will turn into yet another cocktail bar. The bar area has already been made larger……..

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE go back to the old way of doing things and bring back the black sticks dipping sauce!!!!

2  Thank Adam H

Reviewed 17 April 2014

This place never disappoints, just love this place. Am a big fan of bbq and have finally found a place that serves authentic, smoky southern US food instead of greasy, deep fried rubbish.

The BBQ Slider selection is a great place to start with the food here, brisket, burger and pulled pork in mini-burger baps are excellent, the brisket is so juicy and tender, every time I go is like something out of When Harry met Sally!

My partner has always enjoyed the half bbq chicken, but noticed on the last visit that the chicken wasn't marinated in bbq sauce, not sure if this was an oversight by the cooking staff as the chicken is usually basted in the bbq sauce on serving, but was still excellent.

Will definitely be returning soon!

Reviewed 13 April 2014 via mobile

Really enjoyed our meal this is about our forth visit never been disappointed with the food was disappointed with my drink tho guess that was my mistake I ordered the none alcoholic cocktail and I spotted raspberrys in the list of what was in it and I just assumed it was raspberry juice not what it actually was which was hole raspberry in my drink and they also put pomegranate seeds in it 2 was awful hate bits in my drink couldnt drink it was going to ask the waitress if she would strain it or something but she never came back around so had to pay nearly £4 for a drink I couldn't force down other than the drink and that she never came to check on us so I could of asked her to do something with it was a good meal and I ended up missing the guy with the bill cause I'd nipped to the loo when he came round so didn't get to ask him, it was a good meal

Reviewed 12 April 2014

Second visit to Southern 11 and yet again an amazing meal and atmosphere. Started with the hickory chicken wings and stole a couple of lil links, followed by the excellent southern platter with a side order of the sweetcorn dish and all I can say is if you love Deep South American cuisine then get down there. Oh and very good price too! Go now and you won't be disappointed!

Reviewed 12 April 2014

We visited the restaurant on a Tuesday to try their all you can eat BBQ option that comes with a free beer or soft drink!

The BQQ meat was well cooked and tender, the beans very addictive!

The waiter, we had was really good along with the guy in charge that night. They were very flexible and attentive to our needs.

The overall evening was nice and the music was not too loud.

Would recommend it!