“One of the best Holiday Inn Express!”

Holiday Inn Express Manchester City Centre Arena
Ranked #33 of 121 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 20 November 2012

A new hotel very close to Arndale center for all your shopping. I have stayed twice in this hotel in the last year and I was very impressed by this new hotel. The rooms has a very good size, it smells new and the breakfast area and the lounge has a good size. The breakfast is standard Holiday Inn Express food in the UK with sausages, eggs, bread some cheese and youghurts. If you need some better breakfast , there are cafees and restaurant just outside your door or you can go 300 meters down to the Arndale center. They have a free PC in the breakfast room which work well. There is a small SPAR corner shop just outside your door where you can by your milk, sweets, biscuits , sandwiches etc,. I didn't have any problems with noise and I am certainly coming back to this hotel for future stays in Manchester.

• Stayed: September 2012, travelled solo
michelle_lonsdale, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester City Centre Arena, responded to this reviewResponded 4 December 2012

Thank you for your excellent feedback on the location and our free hot breakfast here at the hotel I am pleased you enjoyed your stays and we hope to see you again for a 3rd visit!

Write a ReviewReviews (1,509)

Reviewed 19 November 2012

I stayed with my 8yr old nephew for one night 1st November in a twin room on the 2nd floor(room 207) . Great location for the Manchester arena. All the staff we encountered were very friendly and helpful. The breakfast was very good, the room spotless , powerful shower and very comfy beds. We also had access to free Wifi for £52 for the night. The hotel is in a lovely quiet location and I would love to have given it a 5 star ranking except for the noise in the room which at first I thought was the air conditioning system but when I turned it off in the room, the noise was as loud as ever. Neither of us had a good nights sleep and had we been staying more than 1 night, I would have asked to be moved. Also had trouble with the taxi firm the hotel promotes, over-charging, they didn't stick to the adviertised rates in the hotel. I did get a prompt response from the manager when I emailed my problems but he said the problems with the air condtioning earlier in the year have been rectified(not in room 207!) and he would speak to the management of the taxi firm (of no help to me). I may stay in this hotel again but only if I bring earplugs.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with family

Thank you for taking the time to feedback on your stay. I am glad that you found the team to be helpful and the hotel well located. I would like to offer my apologies for the noise in the room. This is an issue we have had since opening the hotel and we have spent the past year investigating and trying to resolve the rooms affected. I am pleased to say that I am 100% confident the issue has now been identified and all rooms will be checked and if needed fixed by the end of this week. I realise this doesn’t help you and your nephew as you have departed but I hope this encourages you to visit us again soon and recommend us to your friends and family

Reviewed 19 November 2012

budget hotel with hot breakfast options..limited but good buffet choice. ...and they let you carry out too.if you ask.....informal eating....no evening meals but willing to let you order from takeaways and eat them in. Plenty of restaurants within walking distance to suit all budgets...and it is express so wouldnt expect evening meals anyway. Rooms comfortable with lovely shower and hotel clean. Staff very welcoming and want to please. Useful taxi phone but make sure the taxi operator knows you have suitcases too....ours didnt listen. Comfy seating area in bar and reasonable prices too.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled with friends

Thank you for your positive comments & 5 stars , I am glad you enjoyed your stay, I will ensure this is passed on to our teams
We hope to welcome you back soon

Reviewed 16 November 2012

First impressions are good. A smart, modern-looking foyer and a friendly, efficient check-in. The rooms are not spacious but they are perfectly adequate. The rooms are clean, well-maintained, have eveything you need and are comfortable.

The biggest let-down was the catering - or lack of it. Unusually there was no evening meal but at least there are eating places close by Breakfast was provided but was limited and of mediocre quality.

It was unpleasant to have to squeeze into what was little more than a corridor for breakfast. After queuing for 10 minutes, I was disappointed to eventually find that the only cooked food was sausages and scrambled egg. The breakfast experience was distinctly rough-and-ready and reminded me of a factory canteen or, bearing in mind the large number of students and young travellers, eating in a uni cafeteria.

• Stayed: November 2012, travelled on business

Thank you for your comments on the hotel. I am sorry that you found the breakfast disappointing our free hot breakfast is an area that we are continually trying to improve, as you noted the area is quite limited if we have a high occupancy and I think you may have stayed when we had a large university group in house. I hope this doesn’t put you off trying us again in future as the rest of your stay was so positive

Reviewed 14 November 2012

HI Express used to be no frills but they got all the basics right. Now it's the other way around. The hotel is smart with nice rooms and bathroom. The only heating is part of the 'air-conditioning' system mounted near the ceiling. Heat rises! Although there is a thermostat you can set, you don't get control, it just lets you vary it a little. So when the room was too cold to sleep I turned up the temperature, but it made no difference. Fortunately I booked a twin and being by myself used two quilts and I was OK. Until 02:30, then the heating came on and the room was like an oven, no window to open. So I turned the temperature down and by 04:00 it was OK. So the room was a waste of time. The only reason for a hotel to exist is to allow sleep!!!

Also the door lock didn't work, you could use the chain but not turn the lock. It must have been like this since it was built. Reception did offer to get someone to look at it but this needed carpentry ++ and I didn't want the hassle.

The nice breakfasts HI Express used to do are no more. No fruit other than apple and banana, no pastries, only warmed up (stale?) croissants. No cheese and NO BUTTER, just 'Country LIfe' which was a margarine pretending to be butter. I had corn flakes and a banana.

This is not much worse than most HI Express hotels now, I used to love them but the accountants have got at them. At £54 a night it's cheap enough and next time I'll turn the 'heating' right down, bring a little thermostatic heater and find a local cafe to have breakfast. Actually I'd rather pay the £79 a night I used to at Salford Quays which has windows that open and used to have heaters. The mangement need to decide whose side they are on, the accountants or the customers.

Room Tip: Bring your own thermostatically controlled heater and it will be fine.
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled solo

I was sorry to read that you found your stay to be unsatisfactory; we do have heating and cooling systems in the rooms which are individually controlled. It does take a few minutes to switch from cooling to heating but you should be able to adjust it to a comfortable temperature quite easily and quickly. Your experience makes me wonder if there was a fault in this room and if so we would have attended to this straightaway once informed. Our complimentary breakfast includes hot items such as sausage, eggs and beans, as well as toast, pastries and fresh fruit, various cereals, yogurts and bread rolls. If you had preferred a different brand of butter that could have been arranged on request without question. I apologise if you felt any of your stay was dictated by cost saving measures as this is certainly not the case our guests and a great stay are our priority.I appreciate you taking the time to review the hotel.

Reviewed 13 November 2012

Two of us stayed at the holiday inn express in Manchester for one night, when going to see an artist at the Manchester Apollo.
Having never stayed in a holiday inn before I was unsure what to expect, but can honestly say I was extremely impressed. The hotel is a cut above other budget hotels I have stayed at with excellent customer service and lovely spacious rooms.
The location is also excellent, close to shopping, bars and transport links. It is ideal when going to the Apollo as a taxi was a bargain at £6!

When planning my next city break the first hotel I will be looking at is holiday inn!!

• Stayed: November 2012

I was really pleased to read your feedback and that we were able to exceed your expectations. We hope to welcome you back soon

Reviewed 12 November 2012

This is the second time that we have stayed at this hotel
This time last year the hotel was very new fresh and clean
Back , one year later , we found that the hotel has not changed one little bit
Clean fresh and new, attention to detail in all areas
Staff could not help you enough
Complimentary breakfast was well presented and fresh With more than enough choices for anyone
Really great location for all of Manchester city centre and easy walking distance to the MEN arena
Lionel Ritchie was quite good too !!!!
We will definitely return on our next visit to Manchester

Room Tip: Ask for a room on the top two floors facing Manchester Arndale Nice view !!
  • Stayed: November 2012, travelled as a couple
1  Thank GraceLJones

I was delighted to read your review especially as you were able to compare from when we first opened a year ago until now….and I am very pleased that we were able to achieve another 5 star rating. Thank you for your comments and long may this continue...see you in 2013!