“new hotel but it lacks quality”

Holiday Inn Express Manchester City Centre Arena
Ranked #31 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
Colne, United Kingdom
“new hotel but it lacks quality”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2012

this should be very good to excellent review but was let down by poor breakfast quality and how it was set out in a small room off the setting area - it got very busy and it was a struggle to get to things - the hotel itself is in a good location and parking is close and we paid £6 for 24 hours on a weekend - the rooms are of a good standard and have good standard fixtures and fittings only issue was the kettle was on a very small shelf and hard to get too and no mirror over the desk and lighting was very poor -- we had to pay an extra £22 to change the booking to the date in December which took the price to £100 which I feel is a little expensive for a budget hotel - would stay again with a cheaper offers

Room Tip: away from the lift area
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
michelle_lonsdale, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester City Centre Arena, responded to this review, 20 December 2012
Thank You for the feedback on your stay. I am sorry that you found some design aspects poor however I hope this won’t deter you from coming to visit us again in the future

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (242)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Wales
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 December 2012

We arrived at 3pm on a Friday and were swiftly checked in by smiling faces. For the first time ever we were asked if we would like a room key each (which we normally have to ask for ourselves). We asked for a room on the upper floors and were rewarded with the best view available of the city.
The abiding memory of this hotel is how really sparkling clean everything was. It was like new!
We couldnt fault it, nether could our friends who also had a room on the 7th floor.
Great accessibility for the MEN but it was pouring down and so we called a taxi - which took 20 minutes to travel as far as we could have walked in 10 minutes!
The cost at £6.50 was worth it so as to avoid the drenching we would have had. Luckily we allowed an hour before the show began (and we needed all of that). The hotel is hard to find and walking back was a nightmare;12,000 people made the taxi queue hours terribly long. If lost look for the much larger Crown Plaza hotel - (the Holiday Inn Express is behind it up an unadopted road). On return at 11.15pm we found the bar inundated with customers -another queue! We waited for 20 minutes to be served. The bar staff are not able to serve quickly enough to satisfy demand. Hidden away in all the paperwork was the fact that takeaway meals can be ordered and delivered to the reception for guests to collect. We ordered an indian curry and enjoyed it. After a really good nights sleep (must mention the showers which are quality ones) the breakfast was very acceptable (although served in a very tight galley servery - why couldnt the tea and coffee be placed somewhere else more accessible?)
Overall we really rated this place - mainly for the sparkling cleanliness.We will return!

Room Tip: Take some drinks up to the room - saves queueing at the bar. Take some nibbles too or take a takeawa...
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for the positive comments on your stay at the hotel I am pleased you found the hotel well suited for your visit and that the room clenliness was of a high standard I will pass this on to Maria & her team. I am sorry you ahd to wait for your drinks our bar area can get busy afer a concert as you can imagine and we try to plan for this however it usually only lasts about 30 minutes and then it is manageable again. I hope we get to see you again soon
Welwyn Garden City, United Kingdom
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 December 2012

I stay in a lot of Holiday Inn's but usually stay in the crown plaza when in Manchester but decided to give this one a try since it is new and looks very smart. The room was lovely and big and clean. However after a 5 hour drive I was faced with a 20 minute queue to check in, only one and a half people on check in - one was flitting between the desk and bar. When I got to the desk he just walked off to serve at the bar, no apology, no acknowledgement I was even there. No Priority Club desk to jump the queue but then that shouldn't be needed. When I eventually got served and I mentioned that they should have more people on at the desk I was told that it is always busy at 6.30 cos everyone comes at that time. Well der yeah - do something about it then. 'Premier Wifi' was practically dead and useless. Room a little noisy. Asked for a double and got a twin. No Platinum Priority Club upgrade. I won't return again.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled on business
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay here at the hotel , I apologise that the service was slow and that you felt the team were not helpful. We did have a shift that was short staffed due to an unforeseen absence and this is certainly not the norm. The guest service assistants do work between both the bar, reception and breakfast as per Holiday Inn Express standards but I am sorry that they didn't offer any acknowledgement whilst prioritising the queue situation. I appreciate your feedback and will follow it up with my team to prevent issues arising in future
Richmond, Virginia
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 13 December 2012

I arrived after about 15 hours of total travel including layovers. I had sent the hotel email about my early check-in need and they had agreed. In spite of this, when I arrived, the FD person rudely informed me that they don’t have a room available for me and he didn't know when a room would be ready. No friendly greeting, no welcoming smile, just a careless and rude statement. I am a Platinum Priority Club member and almost all hotels worldwide welcome me nicely, but this person who checked me in, who spoke English with an accent, was rude, unhelpful and unfriendly. The hotel was packed like a zoo. It seems that they had a full house due to sports events and they did not care about business travelers who chose the hotel because it was a Holiday Inn. Throughout my stay, I found the staff very unfriendly and unhelping and even rude. I wonder whether they have been trained on Priority Club and to be nice to loyal IHG customers.

Further, the address of this hotel is such that no taxi driver could find it. I was waiting for my ride for 20-30 minutes daily!

This hotel to me, does not meet the Holiday Inn standard of being friendly and caring to business travelers. The lobby is so small; hardly 4 people can sit.

I'm not going back here.

Room Tip: I can't give any tip because I was not given a good room.
  • Stayed November 2012, travelled on business
I was sorry to read you didn't feel welcomed at the hotel and that you were unable to check in early. This is not our usual standard of service and we consistently receive good feedback on our Priority Club member recognition. I would like to investigate this further so please feel free to contact me directly with more details to that I can look at re training if needed for individuals. Regarding the taxi service we have been open for just over a year now and we have used a local company since opening we have a Freephone at reception and also the team will call taxis for you. They know where we are as we use them for over 20 jobs a day and they are quick to arrive for our guests. I am unsure which firm you used and if you did so privately but I can assure you it is rare for the firm we use to be longer than 10 minutes from calling to arriving at reception even in peak times. Once again I apologise if you felt the hotel was of a low standard and I hope that I can get more detail to follow this up with the team.
Fleetwood, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 12 December 2012

Great easy checkin ,room very modern and ample for a short stay ,be aware there is no car park ,but there is parking along side the hotel and was full when I arrived but when I unloaded and came back a space became available and grabbed it quick ,and a tip for you if you get a parking space don't move it until you check out ,but that aside there are a few car parks close by and just a few minutes walk ,I was told they cost £4.80 per 24 hours which is very reasonable ,
The hotel includes breakfast which is a selection of cereal, fruit juices ,and sausages ,scrambled egg, bread .
The location is very close to the Arndale centre and through there is the centre ,also close by there are a lot of places to eat ,pubs ,Chinese ,take aways ,etc .
The hotel only serves breakfast and not any other meals ,there is a bar and comfy seating for a quiet drink at night .

Room Tip: All rooms appear to be great so it doesn't matter which one you get
  • Stayed December 2012, travelled as a couple
Thank you for taking the time to review your stay here at the hotel and the 5 star rating...You must have been very were quick to get a space outside but if next time you aren't as lucky we can suggest the Eurocarpark on Rochdale Road for only £4.80 per 24 hrs. we hope to see yu again soon
Oxfordshire
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 10 December 2012

Best holiday inn express I have stayed in yet and as a priority club gold member I have stayed in quite a few. Large room on 7th floor (high floor) as requested. Clean, quiet and spacious and modern.
Would recommend here and stay here again. All staff polite and helpful. Also appreciated free WFI.

• Stayed December 2012, travelled with family
Thank you for your positive feedback on the team and the rooms here at the hotel I am delighted you enjoyed your stay especially as a frequent traveller with gold status and we hope to see you again soon
Oslo, Norway
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 December 2012

Fairly new hotel. The room was very clean, and the bed comfortable.
Location was also good, in a quiet area, just a short walk from Shudehill bus station, and Manchester Arndale.

What more can you ask for? Well, maybe a better breakfast buffet, but that's about it.

Would definitely stay here again!

• Stayed November 2012, travelled with friends
Thank you for your positive comments & am glad you enjoyed your stay, I will ensure this is passed on to our team
We hope to welcome you back soon