“Great location, clean and quiet”

Holiday Inn Express Manchester City Centre Arena
Ranked #31 of 116 Hotels in Manchester
London, United Kingdom
“Great location, clean and quiet”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 March 2013

Positives:
Locations
Quietness
Cleanliness
Lots of TV channels
Luggage storage

Pros
No real storage space
No iron
Hairdryer (fixed to the wall)

Please note: the pictures attached are of an accessible room.

I've stayed at this hotel over a dozen times in the last 4 months whist working in Manchester. I was working less than 500 yards away hence why my company booked me in this hotel. As for the location, it was perfect for what I wanted but it’s also situated in the trendy Northern Quarter part of the city. As a single female often venturing out alone I always felt safe as there are always people milling around. The restaurants and bars nearby have lots of character and the Arndale Centre is 3 minutes walk away - perfect if you want to pass sometime in the evenings whilst working away from home.

The hotel is generally quiet (although I only stayed here from Mondays to Wednesdays) and you hear little noise as its set back behind other buildings on Miller Street. The hotel reception is always efficient and happy to assist with any extra requests you may have.

The bed is comfortable and includes a kettle, desks and TV with Freeview. It’s a shame that there is no storage space in the rooms (wardrobe or cupboards) for clothes but I just hung up my clothes on the hangers provided. The rooms also do not include an iron or ironing board, essential for those creased up shirts. I did borrow an iron once but then started wearing my shirts on my first travel day and then packing clothes which didn’t need ironing for the remainder of my trip!

The breakfast is good value considering it’s included in the price of the room. It is basic but adequate. There is always seating and plenty of the different foods on offer (croissants, cereal, fruits, bread, yoghurts and typically English breakfast (eggs, beans and sausages).
I would certainly stay here again but when comparing this to the Crowne Plaza (which I stayed in once when the Holiday Inn was fully booked), I’d pay the extra £x a night to stay at the Plaza. Please see my review of the Crowne Plaza for more details.

Room Tip: I found the top floors were the quietest. Floor 8 is the highest floor in the hotel.
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled on business
2 Thank gacallaghan

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (241)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Manchester, United Kingdom
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 22 March 2013

I needed a room for a gig at the arena. The location was good, infact it's just behind its upmarket cousin (The Crowne Plaza). It's ideal for the trendy Northern Quarter and of course the Arndale shopping centre.

The rooms although small are well appointed with a fresh modern feel and most important of all they are spotless.

The breakfast is usual express fare of sausage and scrambled eggs, but substantial enough to last until lunch.
It did feel abit like a school canteen queuing with your tray, but really what is wrong with a trip down memory lane.

All in all a great hotel and. I would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013
1 Thank Jetwind1970
Lancaster, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 21 March 2013

booked this hotel for a weekend break and from arriving till leaving could not fault 1 thing !! we would book this hotel in future !! we paid £ 140 for a double room or 2 nights you would pay double that normally for a hotel of this standard !! the breakfast was spot on and the staff at the hotel were exellant !! thanks holiday inn for a great stay !!!!!!!

Room Tip: 7 th floor good views
  • Stayed March 2013, travelled with friends
Leeds, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 20 March 2013

I stayed at this hotel with my family for one night to see The Script at the MEN Arena. We were very impressed. The check in staff were very friendly and helpful, giving us directions to the Arena which is a 10 minute walk away. It was also very close to the Arndale Centre, which was useful when we only had a limited amount of time in the city. The room itself was on the eighth floor of the hotel (there are lifts with glass panels, the view from them is great), and was extremely clean and very comfortable. Again, the view from the room was fantastic. The breakfast room was light and airy and the choice was good. In fact it was the only Holiday Inn in which I have stayed at where the toaster actually worked and was fast! So all in all I would well recommend anyone to use this hotel for a city break or a trip to the arena. Car parking is close by, we used the Euro Car Park in Addington Street, £4.80 for 24 hours and is only a very short walk to the hotel from there.

Bradford, United Kingdom
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2013

Got the room booked for £68 for two od us including breakfast. Glad we booked early as not only were Girls Aloud in concert that night but Manchester United were playing in one of the European games, so when someone asked for a room they were told it was double the price.

The room was lovely. The shower is HUGE, the bed was very comfy.
The staff were very helpful, and when I asked if the vegetarian sausages at breakfast were gluten free, the lady I asked volunteered to find out and asked if there was anything else gluten free that I would like.

She then bought me some bread out so I could have toast. bonus!!

Room Tip: Book in advance and dont leave having breakfast until after 9am as it gets very busy
Nijmegen, The Netherlands
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 March 2013

I stayed here with my daughter to see One Direction at the Man Arena. It is a 10-15 minute walk to get there. There are some restaurants and, bars in the neighborhood. Across the square is a Spar supermarket, always handy for some soft drinks or something to eat in the evening. The rooms are clean and the staf is very friendly.
But when I arrived at 10 past 2, my room wasn't available yet. No problemo so I bought myself a beer and my daughter a juice.
It was also evident that 2 elevators for an almost sold out hotel wasn't enough. I'am not used waiting a couple a minutes for the elevator to arrive. Neither am I used to ask for a cup at the coffee self service because there weren't any cups left. And that they were out of croissants for almost 10 minutes, that was a problem for my daughter, not for me,,,,,
So, a nice hotel, nice people, nice rooms, but some loose ends that may irritate someone sometime.

Room Tip: Try the upper floor (8). Great views!
Petersburg, VA
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 14 March 2013

We stayed here for two nights as we were in town for a football game. The hotel was very nice and clean. The room was spacious, we stayed in a double with a sofa. It was very nice that breakfast was included, plenty of selection: juice, coffee, pastries, eggs, sausage, beans, yogurt, cereal, fruit. It's about a 5 minute walk to the shopping mall. There are plenty of places to eat and drink within a few minutes walk. There is a bar in the hotel if you don't want to venture out. The staff was very nice and very helpful in directing us where we needed to go. We took the train and then the tram in from the airport for 5 pounds each and then a taxi back to the airport for 20 pounds. I would recommend this hotel and if we ever return to Manchester, we would stay here again.

• Stayed March 2013, travelled as a couple
michelle_lonsdale, General Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester City Centre Arena, responded to this review, 16 March 2013
Thank you for your great feedback on the hotel, I am delighted that you found us suitable for your visit to the football and that we are able to welcome you back again