“Comfortable hotel but not that near the centre”

Holiday Inn Express Manchester City Centre Arena
Ranked #30 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 19 November 2013

I hadn't been to Manchester for over 20 years so I had no memory of the city.Google map told me this was 0.8miles from the centre.It actually took me the best part of 20 minutes to walk anywhere from the hotel.So not the most convenient of locations if,like me,you are visiting museums.The room was a reasonable size,i was on my own.Comfortable bed and I slept well.The wi fi was a bit erratic.The kettle kept on going off of its own accord and the razer point only seemed to work for a few seconds at a time Breakfast was acceptable and it was included in the price..I got a very reasonable price which rather made up for the inconvenient location.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled solo

Reviewed 19 November 2013

We are fans of the Holiday Inn chain and especially the free breakfast and free wi-fi included in a very reasonable room rate at the Holiday Inn Express.

We booked a double room with sofa bed (always a good option as you get a bigger room) for the Stereophonics concert on 14 November. As usual, we got a nice, airy, clean room for our money and a huge shower (big enough for two!) in a spotless bathroom with white fluffy towels. Honestly, for the price we paid, what more could we want?!

The included breakfast is a bonus. There was a choice of cereals, fruit, yogurt, juice and pastries, then plenty of sausages, baked beans and scrambled egg. Drinks are dispensed from a machine. The toast is fresh - you cook it yourself on the toaster machine! For those used to the full English buffet and waiter service available at the Holiday Inn and other hotels (for a fee!), it may be a disappointment. You can always find somewhere else in the city for a more up market breakfast and it still would probably work out cheaper than bed and breakfast in most other hotels.

The hotel is in easy walking distance of the main shopping area and the Phones 4 U Arena (its current name. This may change by the time my review is published!). There is a small supermarket directly opposite the hotel if you require any essentials (like chocolate and Coke).

If you park up outside the hotel and pop in to reception they will sell you a discounted car park ticket and give you handy map of the car parks. The car park is a short 5 min walk from the hotel but you can drop off your baggage, family members, etc at the hotel before parking.

If we come back to Manchester, we would be happy to stay here again.

Room Tip: Book a double with a sofa bed to get a bigger room, they are often the same price as the standard do...
  • Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

We stayed here with another couple to attend the Depeche Mode concert last the arena. The room was a nice size,although we had been given a twin, with a lovely big shower room. The staff did say we could move to a double, but we had unpacked so didnt bother. The beds were far too soft and we both had backache the next morning, which in a way was OK because it distracted us from the awful breakfast!! It was like school dinners, lining up in cramped area. There are cereals etc but the 'hot'(and I use that word loosely) choices were beans sausage and scrambled eggs..... The beans were flat cold, the sausage was disgusting and the scrambled eggs looked like they were the powdered type, you had to cut it into lumps.....yuk. I know the breakfast is included but at £120 per night they could make more of an effort......

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 November 2013 via mobile

Stayed at this hotel when visiting the Christmas markets, excellent location, close to centre. Rooms are really clean, comfortable & the free breakfast is a huge plus point. The hotel also has free wi-fi. In the rooms the showers are brilliant. Would happily stay again when visiting manchester.

Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 17 November 2013

Stayed at the Holiday Inn Express MEN last Friday with my wife as we were attending a concert at the nearby MEN (now Phones 4 U) Arena.

Firstly, location. The Hotel is situated no more than 7-8 mins from the MEN and a similar distance from The Printworks which is a large collection of bars and restaurants as well as the Arndale Centre (if you fancy some shopping). There are some decent bars and restaurants right by the hotel as well as a fairly large Spar supermarket. You couldnt be better located to be honest. There are a number of Car Parks a couple of minutes walk from the hotel. Reception have a deal with the Euro Car Park nearby which is £4.50 for 24 hours, an absolute bargain for a city centre if you ask me. Finding the hotel can be a bit tricky for first timers as a lot of the roads round the hotel have been reconfigured and the Sat Nav went a bit haywire!

On check in the staff were lovely, really helpful and cheerful. I cant praise them enough to be honest.

Our room was very modern, immaculate and well appointed. The shower was excellent and the room had a nice feel. Good TV as well.

Breakfast is buffet style and very busy. However we got a table no problem and the food selection, though limited, was very well cooked and prepared. In fact I have had worse breakfasts at hotels where I have paid three times the price of this one. Again, I really cant fault it.

If you are attending a concert at the MEN and want to make a night of it you could do a hell of a lot worse than staying here. Its an absolute bargain for the price and is so well situated with brilant staff. Well done to all concerned. Will definately be back.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 16 November 2013

I love to stay in holiday inn express and am even a member of there rewards program I have never been dissappointed by the any stay in there hotels and have always throughly read what to expect from the hotel before I go and they have always been what I excpected. The staff were very friendly and helpful and only happy to help with any questions I had. They were happy to provide extra pillows on request and were brought to my room within 5 mins of asking. The room was nice with plenty of space to move around and shower was big enough for 2! Breakfast was up to it's usual great standard. It is in a great location with a short walk to local shopping center and MEN arena. The only thing that let my stay down on this occasion was the matteress on my bed. It was very very soft and dipped to much in the middle which after 2 nights made my back ache and on the second night did not get such a great nights sleep which is why I can not give it a full 5 stars. but other than that it was a great stay.

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends
Reviewed 15 November 2013

Stayed here for 2 nights with my friend as going to MEN Arena which is about a 10min walk from hotel. Room 221 nice & clean with nice big window overlooking square. Hotel was full but was very quiet at the same time. All staff really friendly & gave good information when asked. Was given a map of Manchester when we checked in which was very helpful. Breakfast was good as it always is with holiday inn. Free wifi was a bonus. Hotel is approx a 10 min walk from Manchester City centre & Arndale Shopping Centre. It is about a 20 min walk from Manchester Piccadilly Train Station or 5 mins in a taxi which is a fixed rate of £5 for hotel guests. All in all a great stay & will definitely be staying here again. Only downside is the beds where a bit soft!

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends