“One night- but would have happily stayed longer!”

Holiday Inn Express Manchester City Centre Arena
Ranked #25 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 4 February 2014

I booked this hotel pretty much at the last minute for a friend and I. We had a twin room (605) which gave us everything we needed. The beds were comfortable, the bathroom was modern and clean (and the shower was huge!). I can't say anything about the breakfast offerings as the curtains in our room were such an effective blackout that neither of us were awake early enough. Locationwise the hotel is well situated- in the Northern Quarter of the city with lots of nearby bars and restaurants. Didn't notice any noise when in the room though. The reception staff were really helpful, and provided us with maps and advice on where to go. I would definitely return here for my next short break to Manchester!

• Stayed: February 2014, travelled with friends
Write a ReviewReviews (1,481)

Reviewed 3 February 2014

The whole experience was amazing stayed here for one night for my boyfriends birthday and we loved it from start to finish really made the experience lovely, the staff were so kind to leave him a birthday card in the room which gave it that lovely touch ... We had a great view in our top floor room and very comfy bed.. very clean room and spacious shower and as it was our first time in Manchester the staff gave us a map to help us get around, thank you for the great experience we will deffinetly be back again! Paige.

• Stayed: February 2014
Reviewed 29 January 2014 via mobile

Rooms are well sized and very modern and very clean!
Hotel staff are very helpful and friendly,Breakfast is nice but not a massive range to choose from but still very nice. Very comfortable beds didn't wake up once.
Overall brilliant stay at a cheap price

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 29 January 2014

Myself and my friend stayed in the Hotel last weekend 24th/26th.

Before traveling to Manchester I emailed the hotel two days prior to arriving as I had read the reviews on here and people had advised to get a room on the 5th floor or above with city view.
Hotel: The Hotel staffs were very quick to respond as they got back to me within a few hours of sending the email to let me know they had placed us on the 5th floor with City view. I was grateful and very impressed by the fast response.

Only downfall was I had asked in the email about the location of the hotel (as we were going to be coming from the airport late Friday night) and the best way to get their or if they provided any transport. I was surprised with the response as all that was said in the response was to get the train to Piccadilly and no further instructions to tell us the hotel was roughly 15 minutes away from Piccadilly also surprised they never mentioned that they have a taxi at fixed rate of 20£ to/from the airport.

Overall the Hotel Location is brilliant. Spar located across the road two minute walk and opens till 12pm, Right next to bars/restaurant’s , Arndale shopping Centre located about 5-10 minute walk from hotel. If you are there for some serious shopping I would recommend the Trafford centre it is Huge and has a lot of American stores. Take the x50 bus located beside Piccadilly gardens which takes roughly 30 minutes.

Location Tip: For anyone travelling from the Airport to the Hotel:
Follow the signs in the Airport for the train once you find it there is an information desk where you can buy an all-day ticket for 5£ which includes the tram that you need to take.
Get the train to Manchester Piccadilly we came in on platform 13 I believe. Once in the station you will need to transfer to Metro link Tram (Which is downstairs) so get the tram going to Bury and you need to get off a Victoria station. The 5£ ticket includes the tram so you do not need to get anymore in Piccadilly station. Once you get off at Victoria as for directions to the hotel it’s only about 10 minutes away located right beside the Crown plaza hotel.

Breakfast: Basic as said in previous reviews. Which includes Cereal, fruit, yogurt, Eggs, sausages, beans, pastries.

The Time for breakfast had been changed from 7:30 – 11:30 to 7:30 – 10:30 luckily we were informed of this change upon checking in but the times have not changed in the information book in the room and some guests must have not been told at check in as we seen a few people coming down around 10:30 and complaining when it was finished.
They close 10:30 on the dot so make sure you are there by 10:15.
Overall its free so can’t really complain enjoyed the sausages and my friend loved the Hot chocolate in the machine.

Bar: Stays open till 2:00am for residence which was great as many places down the road close early.
Very quiet unless you are with a big group or want to relax with a drink

Dinner: One night we were late going for dinner so we asked at reception and they told us that the Crowne plaza next door does food and a certain % off your food for staying in the holiday inn.
When we went in the main restaurant was closed but were informed the bar food was open for another 30mins so we got the bar food and it was really nice and had a bit of everything (Including Tapas if you just want a nibble) on the menu would recommend it.

Late Checkout: Our flight was late on Sunday so we decided to enquire about a late checkout
the staff were very helpful in informing us that it was 10£ for every extra hour that we stayed on.
Then they told us about the IHG rewards card which we could sign up for free and you would earn points each time you stayed at one of their hotels and you would also avail of a free late checkout in each of the hotels which was until 14:00. So I am now a member of the IGH rewards club and we got a free late checkout great offer.

Room: We were on the 5th floor probably would want to go a little higher to get a really good view.
Beds were very comfy, Lovely big shower in the room just what u need after a long days shopping,
Only thing about our room was their was two pairs of dirty socks on the floor which just looked as if the cleaner put them aside and forgot to take them.
Not as many complimentary toiletries as many hotels but they do have a nice note saying if you forgot any they list a few things to call down to reception and they will bring them up.
Overall the room was very clean.

Overview: Location is a great, Staff was very helpful and friendly, great price cheaper than a lot of Hotels in area. Room is a good size and shower is a plus. I would highly recommend this Hotel to anyone coming for a weekend.

Room Tip: Request a room on Higher Floor with a city view.
  • Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
1  Thank Emma D
Reviewed 27 January 2014 via mobile

We stayed at the hotel Saturday just gone and the location was perfect for us, even more so than the Oxford Rd site, being close to the printworks, shops and the northern quarter.

Parking: There isn't any belonging to the hotel. There is a car park close by on the corner of Swan St (I think) that was £10 for 24 hours.

Room: All the rooms in Holiday Inns are decent and this was no different. We were on the 7th floor but unfortunately on the wrong side so we didn't have the nicer views. Shame really.

Bar: A nice relaxing place to share a few drinks and wind down. The staff were lovely and I think the prices were reasonable for town. The bar also stays open until at least 1am for residents.

Breakfast: Awful. The times were 730 to 1030, which seemed a little short to me but I managed to get down in time. The coffee and orange juice seemed fine but the hot breakfast was atrocious. I always find it hard to believe that the same parent company that does amazing breakfasts in the Crowne Plazas, Liverpool Indigo etc do them so terribly in the Holiday Inns. Sausages which are more bangers than gourmet; scrambled egg from a packet and beans which I didn't want to try! No bacon, black pudding etc, that's it.

I appreciate it is complimentary but please consider charging a fiver and improving the fayre - I cannot see anybody objecting!
Overall I think this is a really good Holiday Inn to stay in and the location is spot on. The breakfast was standard for all of the Holiday Inn wing of IHG so don't let that aspect put you off - Manchester is not short of great eateries.

Stayed: January 2014, travelled as a couple
Reviewed 26 January 2014

I have to say this hotel was a gem of a find. The rooms are very modern and spacious with mood lighting, a comfy bed and a large powerful shower. They have free wifi and the option to upgrade to faster wifi for a small charge. The television had a long list of digital stations and there were plenty of available plug points to charge the myriad of devices I seem to travel with these days.

The breakfast was of a decent quality for this standard of hotel particularly the quality yoghurts with fruit, cereals, pastries and a hot breakfast all available as self service. There was also a very helpful wide breakfast time window which should suit whatever type of traveller you are. The only minor gripes were that the coffee from the machine was pretty rank but they had a nice range of teas.

The hotel is located in a funky part of town with lots of quirky restaurants and one off shops including thrift shops but still only a few minutes walk to the large arndale centre and about 12 minutes walk to Picadilly station.

But I am leaving the best to last - every single member of staff I met here appeared happy and were always willing to help or offer appropriate suggestions and they seemed genuinely interested in ensuring that their guests had as good an experience both in the hotel and in the city as possible.

Finally while you are in Manchester, Lowry's work is well worth checking out.

• Stayed: January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 18 January 2014

Amazing hotel from start to finish. Check in staff were very helpful.

Rooms were amazing we stayed in a twin bedded room. With the option of firm or soft pillows which was a nice touch. The shower was perfection the best I've ever experienced.

The breakfast is free and lovely scrambled eggs sausages and fruit, toast,yogurts lovely breakfast.

Perfect location for MEN Arena.

Already booked to come back in November :)

• Stayed: November 2013, travelled with friends