“Very busy, not cheap, new clean builing in great location”

Holiday Inn Express Manchester City Centre Arena
Ranked #30 of 117 Hotels in Manchester
Edinburgh, United Kingdom
“Very busy, not cheap, new clean builing in great location”
Reviewed 16 May 2014

I stayed here on business for two nights recently and as an IHG Platinum member was fairly disappointed - I arrived late (and tired) at night and asked for my booked room. there appeared to be some problem with availability but I was eventually given a disabled room which was spacious, but not what I'd booked! I got in to my room took my shoes off and immediately felt my feet wet through my socks - the shower in the bathroom had obviously leaked in to the room and hadn't dried. I went to bed, had a comfortable sleep and left early each morning. 'Free' breakfast (is there such a thing as free - should be branded 'included') was basic but sufficient. The hotel was extremely busy which gave a feel of being in a canteen at breakfast. the hotel however is in a very good location - I love the northern quarter with some lovely bars and restaurants and easy access to the Arndale centre. The hotel cost be about £120 a night which is expensive for the is type of hotel but was the cheapest available in Manchester that night - must've been a big event on at the MEN. Would stay again but only at a push!

• Stayed May 2014, travelled on business
AlicjaTaranowicz, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester City Centre Arena, responded to this review, 19 May 2014
Dear John thank you for choosing the Holiday Inn Express for your recent trip to Manchester. I am very happy to hear that you found our hotel to be clean and in a great location. I am sorry that you were not allocated your preferred room. Without further details I am unable to locate your booking to see why we were unable to provide you with a double room. If you have booked through a travel agent we can not always guarantee your requested room type. Our rates start from £69, but do increase over the weekend and especially if there is a large event on, however we make sure our rates are very competitive to similar hotels in Manchester. I would be more than happy to look into the issues you have raised in more detail, please feel free to contact me at chris.moore@hixmanchester.com Best Regards

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (244)
  • Arabic first
  • Hebrew first
  • Korean first
  • Turkish first
Dundee, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2014

I stayed here as I was attending a gig and it was the only place left available to book tha wasn't overly priced!

We ended up with 2 large adjoining rooms (I think one was for those who require a wheelchair as it was larger than normal with a panic cord). The rooms were large and clean and really well kept with nice enough decor that you would expect from a Holiday Inn Express.

Nice staff and quiet nights sleep considering it was full to the brim for the local gig.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled with friends
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 15 May 2014

Our first night did not start off well as a lage group moved in all around us and woke us up on Bank Holiday Monday at 5.30 am with slamming doors , not good planning on the hotels part putting us there but they then moved us o the 8 th floor where we had a great room, clean, lovely views, nice bathroom, lots of tea and coffee so important to me.
Small TV.
Breakfast I thought was ok, but then again toast and tea is enough for me.
Overall I thought the hotel was great.
Stay in a few Holiday Inns, and this was really ok would stay again next time in Manchester .

• Stayed May 2014, travelled as a couple
1 Thank dannytamimaya
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 14 May 2014

This hotel was really good, would use it again and again. Very friendly staff, who were so helpful. Lovely room, shower is a great size, plenty of towels. Very clean. Plenty of choice for their free breakfast. Good parking rate for a really close car park. 5 min walk to the Arndale Centre. Two minute walk to Shudehill Tram stop. Northern quarter on the doorstep. Controllable heating/cool thermostat. Great bar and seating area. Cannot fault this hotel.

• Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends
Copenhagen, Denmark
Reviewed 14 May 2014

Standard hotel very close to the city centre. Really good value - breakfast not really something to go for unless you're in a hurry - otherwise opt for a pub breakfast.
Nice decent new hotel - and really good for being in Manchester.

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with family
Thank you very much for choosing our hotel for your recent stay and thank you for your honest feedback. I am happy to read that you found our hotel to be well located and at a good price. I am sorry to hear that you were not completely satisfied with our breakfast. All Holiday Inn Express properties offer a free continental breakfast with 3 hot options on all our rates. I hope that you will choose to stay with us again in the future.

Best Regards
Leicestershire, United Kingdom
Reviewed 8 May 2014 via mobile

Dimly lit rooms, rude receptionist who disliked eye contact and refused to acknowledge your wait, poor options for breakfast - watery eggs and beans, poor quality sausage. And all for a price of £179 per room. Shocking and appalling. I wouldn't rate it at more than £70 and that's only because it was clean and in a good location!

• Stayed May 2014
AlicjaTaranowicz, Manager at Holiday Inn Express Manchester City Centre Arena, responded to this review, 15 May 2014
Thank you very much for choosing our hotel for your recent trip. I am very sorry to hear that your expectations were not met. I was shocked to read that you found one of my reception staff to be rude. We often receive fantastic feedback in regards to the staff and their customer service. Should you wish to discuss the matter further please contact me directly at chris.moore@hixmanchester.com Once again thank you for your stay and for the honest feedback.

Best Regards
kansas/wisconsin
Reviewed 2 May 2014 via mobile

This hotel had something most hotels don't: a controllable heat/ cool environment. When one turned the thermostat down at night for good sleeping temp, the room actually cooled down, and with a minimum of fan noise! Rooms were clean, quiet and well- appointed. Bathrooms nice and new, shower was large. I would have liked better lighting for putting on makeup and a countertop-high plug in for curling iron. Breakfast was ok not extravagant and staff people were friendly and helpful. Location was great for walking out. A small shoppette was just out the front door.

Stayed May 2014, travelled with friends