“Early Doors great value”
Review of The Rose Garden

The Rose Garden
Ranked #187 of 2,339 Restaurants in Manchester
Price range: US$20 - US$41
Cuisines: British
Dining options: After-hours, Reservations
Description: New to West Didsbury’s Burton Road, The Rose Garden serves exciting contemporary British food created by owner and head Chef William Mills. It’s very much a family affair — William’s elder Brother Tom constructed the interior to a design created by their architect father, the restaurant’s striking visual appeal is complemented by professional but informal table service from William’s younger siblings.
Reviewed 23 September 2012

A friend and I have visited the Rose Garden in the later evening on occasions for a birthday treat or similar. However, just to go for the early menu, as we did recently, combines terrific value for money with the brilliant standard of Rose Garden food and service.

Some of their most iconic dishes are still available on the set menu, available between 5-7.30. The dishes are identical in size and quality to the main menu and the waiter no less attentive.

The soup was outstanding, I loved the Celeriac Risotto even though I am not a vegetarian and the Duck Egg Brulee was a dessert worthy of the highest accolades. My friend's meal was similarly perfect; the Double Duck, a particular triumph.

Well done to William Mills, the owner and chef and his wonderful staff!

1  Thank monicker

Reviewed 20 September 2012

It was a delight as two veggies to go to a non-veggie restaurant and be able to have totally different starters, mains and deserts. The service was attentive and friendly and the food and wine were excellent. Shame it's not open for lunch during the week. Returning for friends for a sunday lunch in a couple of weeks.

Thanks!

2  Thank Rachael H
Reviewed 17 September 2012

I went with a friend and for some reason we both had the same 3 courses and I therefore feel my review is reasonably objective.

The scallops for starters were lovely and we had 3 whole scallops each and not like in
some restaurants 3 halves. The main course the monkfish would have been as good as
the starter if the chef had used a thicker piece of monkfish and not the thin tail end and actually
roasted it. It tasted and looked like as if it was pan fried. The chocolate tart was
our least favourite dish, the ice cream was frozen solid and the short crust pastry wasn't anything but rich and crumbly. We returned the dessert as neither of us were happy to eat it and the waiter happily exchanged it but the replacements were of similar quality. We shared a bottle of the Albarino which was very drinkable and had a dessert wine each.

The total bill came to GBP 120 which is too expensive for what it was. I reckon the set menu for around GBP 17 for 3 courses (from memory) is better value for money though the choices are as usual limited.

Reviewed 13 September 2012

I've been to this restaurant a couple of times now and have loved it each time. The food is really well cooked and my absolute favourite is the wensleydale cheesecake - delicious! The choice of wine is great too and it's handy that it all comes from the independent wine shop a few doors down so you can pick up some to have a home.
The staff are so friendly and enthusiastic right through from booking a table to getting your coat at the end of the night. I'll definietly be back again.

1  Thank Clare W
Reviewed 12 September 2012

My friends and I recently had an evening at the fabulous Rose Garden in West Didsbury and I felt I needed to write about the fantastic service and delicious food.

It was my friends birthday and we have a tradition of baking each other a birthday cake. I called the restaurant earlier that day to see if they were comfortable in me brining my cake along to the restaurant. Most restaurants don't allow this and so I was pleasantly surprised when I got a call and back and told that this was fine.

I dropped the cake off a little later and we all sat and ate a wonderful 2 course meal on the early dining offer. After the meal they brought out my cake and provided us with plates etc. This was a really nice touch. The staff were really pleasant, helpful and accommodating and the food was delicious. I've paid a lot of money in other established well reknown restaurants for similar dining experiences and I must say the Rose Garden is up there with the best!

I can't wait to go back.

1  Thank AyeshRH