“Great value set menu.” 4 of 5 bubbles

The Rose Garden
Ranked #139 of 2,185 Restaurants in Manchester
Price range: US$19 - US$39
Cuisines: European, British
Good for: Special Occasion Dining, Child-friendly, Local cuisine, Business meetings, Romantic
Dining options: Dinner, Accepts American Express, Accepts Mastercard, Accepts Visa, Free Wifi, Full Bar, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Serves Alcohol, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: New to West Didsbury’s Burton Road, The Rose Garden serves exciting contemporary British food created by owner and head Chef William Mills. It’s very much a family affair — William’s elder Brother Tom constructed the interior to a design created by their architect father, the restaurant’s striking visual appeal is complemented by professional but informal table service from William’s younger siblings.
“Great value set menu.”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 8 July 2014

Visited here on a Sunday evening for a birthday meal. The restaurant is small, so I imagine booking is necessary on a weekend and it was pretty busy as we left at about 8.30pm. You're either going to love or hate the decor, it's very minimalist, stark whites and clean edges. But you're not crammed in and service was quick and friendly.

The al a carte menu looked quite pricey but as most of what we wanted was on the set menu, we opted for that instead, which is superb value. £19.95 for three courses. Some of the mains on the set menu were £17 on their own. A group of 6 had mixed starters and everyone seemed to enjoy their choices. On the normal menu these were quite expensive for the portion size though.

The mains arrived and most of us went for the sunday lunch option. You get a decent sized portion with plenty of veg, although I did opt for my lamb pink and perhaps it was a little too pink for me, but that was my fault. It still tasted great, but I would go for cooked through next time. However, everyone cleared their plates, which says it all.

Desert was also superb and we all agreed it was an excellent evening. Service was unfussy but attentive when needed and overall I would recommend The Rose Garden. It only loses one star as the al a carte menu is very expensive.

• Visited July 2014

Manchester, United Kingdom
“A bit too cool for school”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 3 July 2014

I appreciate that this place serves good food and the wine is also very very good. However the interior is a bit stark and clinical and to pay the high price I want a bit more luxury all round. The waiting on staff were dressed in t-shirts and trainers - I find this look a bit too 'cool' and would prefer just a little more effort. We went on a week night so a little devoid of atmosphere so maybe go on a weekend but this would mean booking well in advance. It was ok but I don't feel like I want to rush back.

• Visited May 2014
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 1 of 5 bubbles
    • 3 of 5 bubbles
“Sunday Lunch”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 29 June 2014 via mobile

We had really good food today. The service was superb, friendly and knowledgeable.

We opted for the a starter each and a main. We were pretty delighted and impressed over all.

I was disappointment by my Yorkshire pudding. Otherwise my Sunday lunch was lovely. My girlfriend loved her main. Thought there was actually slightly too much which is a good thing if anything!

Fun and recommendable experience

1 Thank dabuzzz
common_n_restaurant_reviews_1bd8 1 helpful vote
“Can't believe this is not number 1”
5 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 7 June 2014

I love this place. The food is outstanding and the service matches it. And the prices do not. I would eat here every night given half a chance.

• Visited June 2014
1 Thank FAnnets
Manchester, United Kingdom
“modern British fine dine”
4 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 28 May 2014

Visited last Sunday on an early booking at 6pm. This initially quiet restaurant was packed by the time we left. The set menu was a steal as it had most of their signature dishes. The "pig and squid" was exquisitely presented with dots of squid ink mayo and I've refrained from giving five stars as the pork belly was (ever so) slightly dry - but a minor issue in an otherwise tasty dish. My sea bream was nicely cooked and served in a lovely broth. My choccy poppy orange was an unexpected treat as I wasn't expecting the taste sensations - brilliantly executed. Reasonable wine list and well matched to the menu. Service is informal but very pleasant and helpful. very modern and bright decor.

• Visited May 2014