“Great quirky restaurant”

Jack Spratt
Price range: US$8 - US$23
Cuisines: International, British
Dining options: After-hours, Lunch, Dinner, Breakfast, Reservations
Description: A favourite local hideaway brimming with bohemian charm, Jack Spratt offers relaxed continental-style cuisine. Showcasing a homemade menu, wholesome Jack Spratt favourites include sizzling grill cuts, hand-pressed burgers and flavoursome vegetarian options, whilst a selective wine list showcases carefully chosen international bottles. Jack Spratt is renowned for its eclectic music playlist, and draws in a following with its regular live music sessions.
Reviewed 23 November 2013

Had a really lovely meal here - on a very busy Saturday in Manchester we were lucky to get a table without a reservation. The menu is packed with very tasty sounding dishes and great value too. We opted for the fixed price menu and as a vegetarian I often struggle to find anything suitable - on this occasion I opted for the onion bhaji and butternut squash and it was gorgeous! Packed full of flavour and beautifully presented. My partner had the burger and was equally pleased (have to recommend the hot sauce for a bit of extra spice but be warned - it really is hot!)

The ambience in the restaurant is cosy and relaxed with quirky decor and details and plenty of romantic tables for two. We will certainly be returning next time we are in Manchester.

1  Thank Rach L

Reviewed 22 November 2013

My wife is vegetarian & its not always common for us to both be totally impressed with a restaurant. The menu was well balanced & I was jealous of my wife's 'sweet potato & feta burger'!!! Jack Spratt was refreshingly independent & relaxed. The food was creative & excellent quality. The staff were friendly & helpful. We enjoyed our meal so much, we went back the next lunchtime!! Its not 'haute cuisine', but it was fun, delicious & really good value. We definitely would visit again.

1  Thank JamieKirkby
Reviewed 21 November 2013

I ate here twice in one week!

The two evenings I went were week nights and I just walked in without a reservation - I passed by on a Saturday evening and it was packed.

It's, er.. modern. You know - it does that vaguely french/american/mediteranean comfort food combinations a lot of places do. On my first visit I had chicken & gnocchi with a cream sauce and on my second a burger. Both were very nicely cooked & presented. With a starter & drinks each meal came to a bit over £20 Service is very friendly & efficient and the dinning room manfully fights back against the characterless building that contains it.

If you're travelling & want something like a home cooking without paying through the nose try here.

2  Thank PeteHala
Reviewed 17 November 2013

I have been to Jack Spratt several times previously and it has always been good. On this occasion the service was not good we were sat at a table and then were ignored. We asked for menus and then were forgotten about again we finally managed to order drinks and the water was not provided either. We ordered food and one meal was brought out and the other came about 5-10 minutes later went to pop to the toilets which were not working and was told to go across the road to a hairdressers really they should have told us on arrival that they were not working because we probably would have gone somewhere else. We asked for the water we had originally asked for which came however no glasses were provided so I had to get up and ask for the glasses as well. Food was nice when it came also forgot the the tempura olives they were comp'd these. As far as atmosphere goes this was a bad experience. I felt like a hindrance not happy.

Reviewed 16 November 2013

made reservation and when we arrived was told there was no record , showed them there confirmation email but were not interested and said there was nothing they could do .

1  Thank Laurence H