“Waste of time and money”

Pace Health Club & nuspa
More attraction details
Owner description: nu spa Manchester in the heart of the city centre welcomes you to a haven of peace and tranquillity, a sensory retreat in which to unwind and begin the journey towards total wellbeing. Enjoy full use of the fitness suite, heated pool, sauna and steam room. nu spa Manchester can offer luxurious Dermalogica treatments of your choice, spa days or spa breaks with hotel accommodation and breakfast. The perfect urban oasis! The nu spa Manchester city centre offers an array of relaxing and indulging Dermalogica treatments to suit all needs. We are extremely passionate about wellbeing therefore, a place has been created where both men and women can be pampered with a wide range of spa and beauty treatments. We provide a wide range of Spa Packages and Spa Deals which are tailored to meet your exact needs.
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 7 helpful votes
“Waste of time and money”
Reviewed 13 August 2012

Part of a hen heaven (another waste of money) trip, had my eyebrows waxed and half of my eyelid went with it! Lockers difficult to unlock and sometimes don't unlock at all! No changing area, dirty & tired locker area. Grumpy receptionist

1 Thank Mrsc81

common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 5 helpful votes
“Don't bother!”
Reviewed 12 August 2012

Went here for a 'spa day' which was sold by Hen Heaven as part of a hen party experience. Being 36 weeks pregnant I opted for the head, neck and shoulder massage and then also paid extra (it had already cost me around £30 for this 25 min treatment) for an OPI pedicure. When we arrived at the 'spa' we were given towels and locker keys (i later could not get back into my locker as it got stuck and so did my friends) and advised to wait in the pool area, which we did for half an hour whilst waiting for our 'treatment'. We were then called into our treatment rooms and I was asked to lie on my back (could not lie on front as pregnant). I was greeted by a young girl who said she would be doing my treatment for me and began massaging my shoulders very roughly to the point that it actually hurt, she also smelt of alcohol and garlic, obviously from a night out before. Half way through the treatment she advised me that she would have to leave because she felt ill and did so, leaving me for fiver minutes or so before a different therapist came in and finished the treatment off quickly. Although she did apologise for the other girl having to leave, it spoilt the experience totally-hardly relaxing! I then went on to have my pedicure which was ok but certainly not worth the money-I've had far better ones elsewhere.

I woke up the next morning feeling battered and bruised following the shoulder massage - not what I would expect at all! Please don't bother-just go somewhere else!

3 Thank Npenny90
UK
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“Didn't stay at the hotel but just visited the spa - review on spa only”
Reviewed 6 November 2011

My friends and I visited the Nu Spa having visitedpreviously when we bought some spa passes. Due to expire soon we booked in for some treatments (50% off). Initially, my friend wasn't keen because she thought the first visit was bad, but gave it another go nevertheless.

The second visit didn't fair better for her either. She hated it and the treatment.

Although, my other friend thought it was nice.

Prices had since gone up from our last visit (by £5 per treatment). We had a treatment each - and again like my first review on this place, I am SO glad I didn't pay full price for my treatment and again, it was not worth it even at half price (normally £45). I had an hours hot stones. The massage technique in itself was great but as for hot stones, they were more like warm stones. It was pathetic! They had a huge hot stone machine, yet they put their stones in a bowl of hot water - hence why I say it was more warm stones than hot stones. I don't know if their machine was on the blink or whether they were trying save on their electricity bills, but if someone asks for a hot stones treatment, they expect one, not warm stones but HOT STONES!

My other friend had the hot stones one too, again, she said the same thing. Warm stones.

They're not very clean here I must say, the robes given to me had stains on them and the towel where you rest your head whilst having the treatment is not changed after each client. My head towel was wet from the previous person on the treatment bed! YUCK.

They cleaned up their act regarding the showers - the one nearest the wall seems to have had some work done - a covering placed over the damp on the walls, however, covered, you could still smell the damp seeping through. The shower switch broke when I turned it on. The other shower had sand on the shower basin area - how does sand get in a spa?! Yes, I'm not too sure either!

They've fixed the lock on the toilet door since our last visit.

The treatment room used this time was much better - it had a sink - a broken hot stone machine (whether it was broken or not I do not know but they didn't use it, opting to use water in a bowl for my treatment). They actually had another hot stone machine by the sink, but they didn't use this one either!

Half way through, I was left in the room for about 10 minutes when she needed to get more water for the stones. I presume to put the kettle on and pour it on the stones. I bet this ate up 10 minutes of my 50 minute treatment.

The sauna and steam room were nice, especially the steam room. The pool area was great. We didn't use the gym.

We went to the spa giving it the benefit of the doubt since our first visit was a bit sketchy to say the least, but after the second visit, we can definitely say it is certainly our last! (despite holding some more spa passes with 50% off treatment) - we sooner loose the pre-paid £10 on these passes then spend more money on mediocre treatments. The facilities are just not up to standard - the therapist was fine, but the level of service is greatly affected with the tools you give them (or in this case, lack of tools!). Had the spa prepped the hot stones massage properly, the experience would have been much more memorable - and for the right reasons.

It felt like just because we paid half price, they thought it was OK for them to give us the treatment at half the effort. e.g. warm stones instead of hot ones.

Big thumbs down - would not recommend this place to anyone (and we gave it two chances).

2 Thank Zeva2010
UK
15 attraction reviews
common_n_attraction_reviews_1bd8 72 helpful votes
“Didn't stay at the hotel but just visited the spa - review on spa only”
Reviewed 30 July 2011

I visited the Nu Spa (which is based in the hotel) with friends and we visited on a Saturday. The car park is tucked away and when we got to the gates, we had to call the spa for them to come out and open the barrier. Not the greatest of starts, but not a biggie.

We arrived in the spa area and it was small, but it was cosy. They have a small gym - what you normally expect - weights, running machines, cross trainers and a few others.

They have a nice pool with loungers dotted around the pool for people to relax by. This was especially nice - being able to just chill out before and/or after a swim.

They also have a sauna and steam room, which were nice (all located in the pool area). The decor was nice and modern too.

My friends and I booked on for some treatments and I chose the mud therapy one., normally valued at around £55.00 - I am SO glad I got this at 50%, even then it was hardly worth the price I paid.

I had a young girl who did the treatment, she must have been about 19. I was in a room with no tap and she had to go get bowls of warm water and dot them in the already tiny room we were in. She was nice enough. She put all the mud on then worked to other areas and when that dried - she then wiped the mud off with a wet flannel. But because the warm water was in bowls, by the time it came to wipe of the mud, the water was cold (the room wasn't warm either). This was very disappointing to say the least. It doesn't look very professional being in a room with no tap, especially when you need water for a treatment such as mud therapy!

The room was quaint, but during treatment all I could hear was kids running amok outside, causing havoc. Hardly the backdrop to a relaxing day.

The spa itself was fine, but the treatments not so much - mainly because of the water situation and the screaming kids.

The spa area was clean. The changing rooms were small - two showers and two loos and an area for drying your hair and separate sink area.

The hotel is fairly new, but the showers were rather horrible, the doors didn't lock (the one next to the loo) and the other shower (next to the wall) had damp all over its walls. Which was shocking since the hotel opened not long ago.

We didn't dine here, so cannot comment on that side of things.

1 Thank Zeva2010