“Good location, great service.”

Novotel Manchester Centre
Ranked #41 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
GreenLeadersBronze level
London, United Kingdom
“Good location, great service.”
Reviewed 20 March 2011

I stayed at the hotel for 2 nights and the hotel is very well located (especially when you are going to a Manchester United game). Everything was very clean and there was a good atmosphere in the hotel. The service was exelent. My son bought a toy which was broken when we came to the hotel, i phoned the front desk and they sent someone over to fix the toy for my son, free of charge. My son was very impressed, and we are definetly staying there again and we would highly recomend this hotel to anyone travelling to machnester.
Finally, the breakfast was perfect.

-Thor Halldórsson, Reykjavík, Iceland.

• Stayed March 2011, travelled with family
iblack, Manager at Novotel Manchester Centre, responded to this review, 23 March 2011
Thank you for your review. We look look forward to welcoming you back to our hotel.
Iain Black - General Manager

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Oxford
Reviewed 6 March 2011

My partner and I stayed in manchester for a short break and found the Novotel very modern and amazingly quiet. After an hours knap on arriving I started to scratch my arms and rub my eyes which became sore. I am acutely allergic to animals which we didn't realise were allowed at this hotel. Although the hotel was spotless, I didnt sleep very well although my partner did. If animals aren't a problem then I wouldn't hesitate to stay again. Would have been niced to have had a warning as do people who can't eat peanuts or gluten.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your feedback. i was sorry to learn of the problem that you encountered. and will investigate your comments further. I do hope we may welcome you back to our hotel in future. Iain Black - General manager
North Wales
Reviewed 26 February 2011

Well, we booked this hotel knowing it was rather expensive but after booking online and getting a deal we were happy as larry :)
Arrived at the hotel and we were able to check in early, we had booked an executive suite so were looking forward to seeing it... we were disappointed.
It was a nice room and very modern but it seemed they cared more about style than comfort, for internet access you have to pay an extra £13.50!! just for 24 hours and only had selected tv channels. The bed was soooo squeaky and uncomfortable, it caused a sleepless night along with the fire alarm going of at 11:30pm, it lasted for like a minute and then went off so we didnt know if there was a fire or not, it didnt seem so but we had no apology about it in the morning. The noise in our room during the night was quite bad, it was coming from outside.
Considering our room was a suite it was really small and the bedroom was divided by a wardrobe, definitely not what i was expecting after seeing the website, the bathroom was tiny and i found the separate toilet claustrophobic and kept the door open as the locks were dodgy. It was very clean which was good.
Overall the room and hotel is good, modern and clean but i feel it is WELL over priced for what you get. I reckon £65/£70 per night would be good enough for that room not £190 which is the official price.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
iblack, General Manager at Novotel Manchester Centre, responded to this review, 23 March 2011
Thank you for your comments following your stay in one of our Junior Suites. Please be assured we will look at your comments and handle accordingly. Kind regards Iain Black - General manager
FL200 and Climbing
Reviewed 26 February 2011

I've stayed at the adjoining Ibis in the past and it's a thoroughly decent hotel but I was travelling on business this time and my company booked me into the Novotel.

First things first, the location of this hotel is fantastic. Really fantastic. It's incredibly central but it nice and quiet inside making for both a relaxing, peaceful stay in a vibrant and convenient location. Ten out of ten.

First impressions of the property are good. It's a modern building and the reception area has been recently refurbished with soft whites, blues and greens. Although some of the furnishings appear rather cheap, they're nothing short of comfortable.

The reception area also houses the bar and restaurant in this property, both of which offer a great variety of food and drink choices. As prices go, drinks are fairly pricey and so is the grub, but not overly so for a city centre hotel. Plenty of other options nearby, though, should you wish to find something a little less costly.

The staff on the bar were very friendly, welcoming and efficient.

The rooms here are very well laid out. With plenty of storage space for luggage and hanging space for clothes, the rooms also feature a split shower room with sink and seperate toilet. Excellent if sharing your room and nature calls when someone's in the shower. Only problem with this element of the design is that the sink is in with the shower, so you can't wash your hands until their done.

The beds were a real let-down. I like a firm mattress and these beds delivered, but instead of feeling like a quality firm mattress, these just feel cheap. As do the pillows and douvet which smack of hollow-fibre.

Biggest problem, though, was that I didn't get the wake-up call I had requested. Not only had I asked for it, I wrote it down for them on a sheet when I arrived so there was really no excuse.

The apology for the inconvenience was half-hearted and insincere. I had set my own phone as a back-up alarm and the receptionist said "well, you're awake aren't you, so what's the problem".... I told him that this wasn't the point.

I was heading to the airport to catch a flight and had I not had the foresight (or lack of faith) to set my own alarm, I could have been in a spot of bother had I missed it.

When I asked for a beer to be removed from my bill to compensate - I firmly believe that if hotels aren't made to compensate guests in some way, however small, they'll never make a real effort to change - the same receptionist was verging on the rude when he said no. I stood my ground and eventually he caved, but given the importance of wake-up calls, I don't think I should have had to ask twice.

I'm back at the Novotel in a few weeks, but only because my company is booking me in there. Given the choice, purely based on the customer service shown on the morning of my departure, I'd stick to the neighbouring Ibis. It's cheaper and just as good!

That said, I would recommend this hotel to a friend, for almost everything else was stellar!

• Stayed February 2011, travelled on business
I am sorry that on this occassion you were disappointed with your stay. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriosness and will investigate further. Please feel free to contact me on your next stay. kind regards Iain Black - General manager
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 21 February 2011

From our initial greeting at the reception desk, we relaxed. Here's a modern hotel, tucked away down a pedestian street. The room was clean and spacious with queen size bed + sofa. Fab shower - and a separate toilet is a pleasant surprise.Behind reception a newly opened 24hour bar was great to meet friends and be able to sit and plan our outing and chat about it afterwards. Sunday buffet breakfast was managed really well by the staff and our request for some of the dishes to be refilled was met with a smile and immediate action - and even brought to our table by the chef!! We enjoyed all aspects of our stay and would say the hotel was a large component of making our trip a success.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Thanks for your review. Glad you enjoyed your stay. See you next time.
Kind regards Iain Black - General manager
Reviewed 19 February 2011

Rooms are ok, location is superb. But I stayed in jan 2011 during the refurb and this seemed to disrupt everything from checking in to the nasty breakfast that was served.

I would prob stay here again but would make sure it is back up to the general Novotel standards

• Stayed January 2011
Thank you for your comments. i was sorry our refurbishment impacted upon your stay. Pleased to confirm we have completed the full refurbishment of all our public areas - Lobby, Bar and Restaurant. I am quite sure when you stay again that your faith will be restored.
Kind Regards Iain Black - General Manager
Malta
Reviewed 18 February 2011

The rooms are big with a bathroom and seperate toilet. The shower is quite big and the bathroom us spacious. The staff are friendly and helpful.

• Stayed February 2011, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your review. Delighted youenjoyed your stay. Look forward to welcome you back soon.
Kind Regards Iain Black - General manager