“Smart, urban hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Melbourne, Australia
“Smart, urban hotel”
Reviewed 14 July 2013

I stayed at the Manchester Novotel for four nights in July 2013, while I was attending for business. Rooms were smart, clean and the bed was comfortable. Service was pleasant and efficient, and I had a B&B package too, and the breakfast was of a good standard. I would recommend the hotel for intrepid travellers making their way in the the UK's North-West. It's also in a great spot to attack the central shopping district, bars, pubs, as well.

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
iblack, General Manager at Novotel Manchester Centre, responded to this review, 23 July 2013
Thank you very much for your review. I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit at Novotel Manchester Centre. I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Kind regards, Iain Black, General Manager.

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
Oxford, United Kingdom
Reviewed 13 July 2013

Excellent location in central Manchester right adjacent to Chinatown and within easy walk of all the city centre facilities and action!
It’s a relatively new building with funkily designed public spaces – you can walk in through two entrances one off Dickinson Street and one off a pedestrianized road the opposite side. The restaurant is on one side of the lobby and the bar to the other (also accessible via the street). I immediately liked the décor, colours and visual aspects.
I booked an Executive Room which was on the second floor for just over £100 a night, which I thought was great value for the location. I was there for four days, so anywhere I am staying for more than a night … I have certain specific requirements.
I often work in Manchester and have tried a whole load of hotels there – my regulars over the last 4 /5 years have now become extortionately expensive most of the time, and so lately I have been on the hunt for new good options meeting my criteria – this is the third ‘new’ one I have tried in the last few months.
The room was large enough for me and all the luggage – it had a bed and a sofabed, modern design which was good if just borderline between stark and friendly, but absolutely fine once I’d spread myself and all my stuff out in there.
The window was a little small, but again, just about the right side of my ‘preferred natural light’ levels – which is ‘lots’! The view was not great but acceptable (of the pedestrian entrance road)
The bathroom was one of their moulded spaces, a little basic, but it did have a full sized bath as well as shower, and there was enough room to move and to store your bits. Basic toiletries, nice fluffy towels and enough hooks to hang everything!
Bed was comfortable .. and the room lighting was excellent – not just in terms out the output and coverage, but there were some attractive looking lighting fixtures that were placed in thought-out locations in the room – which made a real difference to the overall aesthetics.
The desk area was a touch small – but fine for the amount of time I was actually working in the room. The free internet (WIFI) also worked fast and efficiently – I left it running one day doing a chunky photo upload which completed in its own time but perfectly fine. There is also the option of paid-for wired internet.
There was a small fridge – empty apart from water – which is a perfect size for chilling your own essentials, and the room also had a Nespresso machine which I appreciated. This is probably one of the extras that you get with an ‘executive’ label, together with the bathrobe and slippers.
The staff were friendly and helpful … I will definitely stay there again and recommend to others.
The building is actually conjoined to an Ibis hotel ‘next door’ which will have all the same locational advantages for those on a tighter budget – always useful to know. I noticed that the Ibis room windows were a lot smaller!
It seems light is still seen as a premium associated with how much you pay in some cases!

• Stayed July 2013, travelled on business
Thank you for posting your kind comments and compliments. They are very much appreciated and my team will be delighted to hear that you enjoyed yourselves in Manchester. I look forward to welcoming you back at Novotel Manchester Centre again soon. Kind regards, Iain Black, General Manager.
London, United Kingdom
Reviewed 10 July 2013

It maybe a new hotel, but Reception requires more staff. I stayed 6nights (24/6 and 26/6 upto 1/7/13). I was charged BF for 2psns everyday when I did not use the facility. I asked for it to be waived but it was not done so, although it was verbally agreed. I have been short-changed & like to request a refund. Even minibar for £10 was agreed for a waiver, but not fulfilled. Your response will affect my future stays. Tq.

• Stayed June 2013
I am sorry that on this occasion you were disappointed with your stay at Novotel Manchester Centre. I treat all feedback with the utmost seriousness and am currently investigating the matter with the team here. I appreciate your feedback, and I hope that you will give us the opportunity to welcome you back in the near future and provide you with a genuine hassle-free experience. Kind Regards, Iain Black, General Manager.
Oslo
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Stayed one night in this hotel in the centre of Manchester. Very nice location and close to good restaurants. Clean rooms and good english breakfast. The reception area was also very nice and modern. Will use this hotel again for the next business trip to Manchester.

• Stayed June 2013, travelled on business
1 Thank RuneOslo
Thanks for your review. I’m glad you had a good stay with us at Novotel Manchester Centre. It is always good to read reviews from regular guests and I hope to see you on your next trip. Kind regards, Iain Black, General Manager.
Reviewed 8 July 2013 via mobile

My partner booked us a two night stay at the hotel as a surprise for our anniversary. I was extremely surprised by the room, spacious with an abundance of added extras, robes, climate friendly toiletries and a comfortable bed. The staff were all veryfriendly and were always around if we needed to ask a question. The room was clean and tidy and well worth the money my partner spent for an executive room. Will recommend and stay again.

• Stayed July 2013
2 Thank Nicola B
Thank you for taking the time to write a review and for celebrating your anniversary with us - congratulations! I am grateful for your feedback about your stay. I look forward to seeing you again hopefully before your next anniversary. Kind regards, Iain Black, General Manager.
Reviewed 4 July 2013

I stay a lot in hotels for work and I found this stay (family weekend away) that it was OK. Good points - the breakfast was excellent, the booking arrangements easy, the adjoining rooms worked well, and it was well situated. Bad points, well none really, it just didn't feel particularly nice, a bit soulless, dull, missing a bit of comfort perhaps, and nowhere on the scale compared to other Novotels I stay in regularly abroad. 1 Saturday night x 2 rooms set us back £260 which is quite a lot by my reckoning, but not enough to spoil the weekend. OH, and the late night sandwich from the bar was terrific !

Room Tip: arrive early or the car park under the hotel will be full !
  • Stayed June 2013, travelled with family
Review collected in partnership with this hotel

Thank you for taking the time to write a review about your recent visit to at Novotel Manchester Centre. I’m delighted that you enjoyed your stay and we have noted your comments about the public car parking, which we are addressing. Kind regards, Iain Black, General Manager.
Reviewed 4 July 2013

We stayed here whilst we where going to a Robbie Williams concert, and for this reason the prices sored!! We paid £185 for a double room, This is over double what you would normally pay, but we found this with all hotels, making a profit from an event, but this was one of the cheapest we could find this weekend. And glad we chose it, it is a lovely hotel, lovely staff very clean and the breakfast was amazing! We would most definitely stay again :-)

• Stayed June 2013
Glad you had a good time at the Robbie Concert! I am delighted that you enjoyed your visit at Novotel Manchester Centre. I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Kind regards, Iain Black, General Manager.