“great central location”

GreenLeadersBronze level
London, United Kingdom
“great central location”
Reviewed 3 May 2010

I could not believe the first room (445) I was allocated - it was the very room I could see into from my room (430) I stayed in at the Ibis in May 2008. (see my review).
I immediately requested a different room and was promptly allocated room 441, which was fine, with a view down to China town. Given that the hotel was by no means full, I think it was very naughty of them to try and palm me off with what must be one of their least attractively located rooms.
Room 441 had a newly refurbished bathroom - it has a walk in shower with the option of either overhead rainshower head or a moveable shower head on the wall. The wash basin was big, although its design meant that the soap continually slipped into the water and the plunger stick would not stay upright so the plug would not remain in place. There is a separate WC.
The room itself was very clean (as was the bathroom), spacious and comfortable. modern flat screen TV with lots of options ( not free - e.g. broadband £5.95 for 24 hours - hmm) mini bar, free tea and coffee.
The hair dryer was in the top drawer of the dressing table - however it required the strength of Hercules if you wanted to dry your hair in front of the mirror! It could be done, but all three drawers of the unit also opened - strange.
The rooms seem to be well insulated - I was not disturbed by noise from the corridor or adjoining rooms, although I was aware of the air con unit (and this is more noticeable in rooms 444 and 445)
The staff was all friendly and efficient; the breakfast buffet is excellent.
All in all, I enjoyed my (second) stay at the Novotel (plan to stay there again) - and would happily recommend it as a great base for central Manchester; but take a few minutes to check out the room you are allocated for its outlook and noise.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled with friends
iblack, General Manager at Novotel Manchester Centre, responded to this review, 5 May 2010
Thank you for your comments following your stay at Novotel Manxchester Centre. I was pleased to read a that you enjoyed your stay. I hope you will visit us again. Kind Regards. Iain Black

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
London
Reviewed 27 April 2010

I work for a US based bank in London and stayed here in Manchester with 2 work colleagues. The hotel is nice and convenient for everything. We had dinner in the hotel, again was very good if not a little quiet. The reception staff were good and friendly as my first trip to Manchester for several years had lots of advice to offer me, where to got and what to see. Were here for three days. Nice.

• Stayed March 2010, travelled on business
Iain B, General Manager at Novotel Manchester Centre, responded to this review, 12 December 2013
Thank you for your feedback. Kind Regards Iain Black
Liverpool
Reviewed 27 April 2010

From the moment we arrived we where greated with a smile and made to feel more than welcome. The atmosphere was a great start to our trip to the city. The room was vey clean and had all of the amenities that we required. Excellent value for money. Perfect situation within the city for all of the shops and nightlife. Will definately be coming back next time I am in the city!

• Stayed March 2010, travelled as a couple
Thank you for your kind comments following recent stay at Novotel Manchester Centre. I am glad the hotel team made your stay more enjoyable. We look forward to welcoming you once again in the future. Kind regards Iain Black
Surrey
Reviewed 11 April 2010

Ii had stayed here the month before on business. The room was very nice, and as we were running an event at the hotel, the staff were very helpful. i returnrd only to be given an appalling, tired room- like a down at heel travelodge. I complained, and was told that I had been given an upgrade last time- although they had not informed me of this at the time! The attitude was 'take it or leave it', and I had to wait 45 minutes to complain to a manager. The receptionist I spoke to was bordering on aggressive. he said that if I wanted a better room i would have to pay £15 for the pleasure. It was only after a 30 minute argument with the manager that he gave me a decent room. Tterrible service- the room I was put in looked nothing like the photograph on the website.

• Stayed February 2010, travelled on business
Blacko, Operations Manager at Novotel Manchester Centre, responded to this review, 13 April 2010
Thank you for raising your concern, I am sorry that you had a disappointing experience with us, and would welcome the opportunity to discuss this further with you.

Yours faithfully
Christopher Thomson
Operations Manager
Unknown
Reviewed 8 March 2010

brilliant location, lovely rooms, didn't have brekky as it was too dear so went to Northern Quarter. The hotel is perfect for the brilliant chinatown. Only minus point was having to pay for parking.

• Stayed February 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank 050810a
Glad you had a good time at Novotel Manchester Centre! Hope to see you again. Kind regards, Iain Black
Kent
Reviewed 6 March 2010

We took our 3 year old daughter and 8 month old son to Manchester in Feb. We got our room on Laterooms for £69, this was room only so breakfast wasn't included but it still seemed very cheap, which concerned me because I have stayed in cheap hotels before and found them to be abit dirty and generally substandard. This was definately not true of the Novotel. The reception staff were very friendly and gave our children a little cuddly panda each which made their day!! The room was clean, cosy and overlooked China town which looked beautiful at night. The staff had made up the sofa bed for our daughter which she found very grown up and exciting. The manager then bought up a travel cot for us and put it up in the room saying that we should call reception if we needed anything. They later found us a high chair so we could feed our son whilst our daughter played in their small but clean and more than adequate childrens play area.

The room was very quiet and we wouldn't have known that we were in the city centre. All 4 of us slept really well.

We didn't eat at the hotel so couldn't comment on that, but all in all the hotel was clean, welcoming, great value for money and the staff couldn't have done any more for us. Excellent!

• Stayed February 2010, travelled with family
Thank you for posting your thoughts on here, we really value your feedback. I look forward to welcoming you back Kind regards,Iain Black
Sussex
Reviewed 27 February 2010

Stayed here with my wife and was very pleased with everything.
Clean room with nice clean beds and towels. decent location and very helpful staff.
would recommend and stay here again.

• Stayed July 2009, travelled as a couple
1 Thank Vanman888
Thanks for your review. I’m glad you had a good stay with us at Novotel Manchester Centre and I hope to see you on your next trip. Kind regards, Iain Black