“Great hotel”

GreenLeadersBronze level
Choppington, United Kingdom
“Great hotel”
Reviewed 1 June 2010

I stayed here with my partner on Sat 29th May as we were going to a concert at the MEN Arena.

Check in was no problem, we should've checked in at 2pm but our room was ready at lunch time so early check in was no problem. The staff were really friendly and helpful and wished us a good time at the concert.

The hotel is situated right near China Town which was handy, we didnt eat there but there were plenty of restaurants to choose from. We ate at Weatherspoons not far from the hotel which was cheap and cheerful and in a huge fabulous old building.

The rooms were a really good size and spotlessly clean, the power shower was great and there was plenty of storage space for clothes etc and the bed was nice and comfy. There wasnt much of a view from our room but we didnt mind with being there only one night.

The breakfast was lovely and we thought it was excellent value for money, I paid £69 B&B for us and we were offered the same rate if we wanted to stay an extra night.

The hotel is around 15 minutes walk from the arena which was OK for us, we stopped off for food along the way at a shopping centre in Deansgate which was full of great shops.

The hotel with such a great location, spotlessly clean with a fab breakfast - you cant go wrong. It was our first time in Manchester and we'd definitely go back and stay at this hotel.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
iblack, General Manager at Novotel Manchester Centre, responded to this review, 2 June 2010
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Novotel Manchester Centre. It is always a pleasure to receive positive feedback.

Iain Black
Novotel Manchester Centre

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (170)
  • Arabic first
  • Chinese (Traditional) first
  • Greek first
  • Korean first
York, North Yorkshire
Reviewed 24 May 2010

I stayed at the Novotel over the weekend, while attending a training course elsewhere. The hotel is located just outside Manchester's Chinatown. If you're facing reception, you can see the famous Chinese arch across the road, and through the revolving doors to your left. I didn't dine in the hotel in the evenings, because it was so easy to get good Asian/Oriental food nearby. The hotel is also not too far away from Piccadilly train station, and the buses at Piccadilly Gardens. There's a gym in the hotel, but I didn't use it.

Checking in and out went smoothly. The staff were friendly and helpful. When I had a query about local shops, they were able to offer advice. The room itself was fine. It was clean, and spacious enough, with a very comfortable bed. There was a sofa, a large desk, and a separate bathroom and toilet. The shower/bath was very nice. I also liked the light levels in the room. Not too dark, not too bright. It would have been good to have had a bottle of body lotion with the soap, shower gel, etc. And I think the sink design wasn't great, as the soap could easily slip into the sink. But those are minor quibbles.

There wasn't a view from the window, but then I wasn't looking for a good view. It was a hot weekend, and the air conditioner took a while to lower the temperature, but it did work in the end. I think one drawback about the Novotel is that given their prices, they could have offered free wifi in the room. I could have purchased a package with broadband, movies, etc, if I wanted to, but I wasn't going to be in the room that much over the weekend. I didn't want to pay extra to get on the internet to check my e-mail, to look up bus or train times, or to use Google maps.

I did very much like that the room was very quiet. I didn't hear noise from other rooms, or the corridor outside. So either there weren't many other people around, or there is good soundproofing in the hotel. I also liked that there was decaf coffee, and herbal teas in the tea/coffee tray in the room. There was also a fridge with a mini-bar, but I didn't use that. And there was an in-room safe, hairdryer, iron and ironing board.

Breakfast was OK. I went down for it very early, and it took a while for staff to appear and seat me. But I particularly liked that there was soya milk available for my cereal. I also liked that the menu gave information on the calories of different food items. If I wanted to eat heathily, that would have been useful. There was a good choice of continental and cooked foods, and fresh fruit, fruit salad, fruit juices, etc.

On the whole, I enjoyed my stay.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
iblack, Manager at Novotel Manchester Centre, responded to this review, 26 May 2010
Dear Guest,

UK
Reviewed 22 May 2010

Chose this hotel for its proximity to the conference centre - about 5 minutes once you get your bearings. room was clean and comfortable, and breakfast was buffet style in the elements cafe. staff were friendly but seemed a little overwhelmed at reception by numbers of guests.

• Stayed April 2010, travelled on business
We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Novotel Manchester Centre. It is always a pleasure to receive feedback.

liverpool
Reviewed 21 May 2010

Stayed for 1 night - the check in was efficient and pleasant - the receptionist was helpful with directions to a local restaurant. The room was spacious and well equipped. The hotel is functional and well located.
My only complaint was that the room was a bit warm.....my fault as I couldn't quite master the air-con. Breakfast was a buffet and there was a good choice.The room was clean and well maintained and overall I feel that this hotel represents excellent value for money in central Manchester. The room with breakfast for 2 was £69 - no grumbles with the price and value for money. The hotel also has an arrangement with the Q car park next door - discounted parking at £13.00 for 24 hours. I would stay here again.

Dear Guest,

We very much appreciate your comments regarding your stay at the Novotel Manchester Centre. It is always a pleasure to receive such positive feedback.

Bristol
Reviewed 19 May 2010

Located on the edge of China Town, short taxi ride from Piccadilly station, the Novotel provided a good nights sleep. Friendly reception staff and basic functional rooms as is the norm with Novotel. Not a big fan of the french square cushion style pillows, beds as always are a bit low too, but didn't detract from a good nights sleep.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled on business
iblack, Manager at Novotel Manchester Centre, responded to this review, 20 May 2010
I was happy to hear you enjoyed your stay at Novotel Manchester Centre. We look forward to your next visit. Kind Regards Iain Black
Lancashire
Reviewed 18 May 2010

Me and my partner stayed at the Novotel Manchester Central for a one night stay to celebrate a birthday. We were a 2 minute taxi ride to deansgate where we went went for a lovely meal and drinks.
The hotel is central, modern, clean and the staff are very friendly and helpful. They even offered us a map of the city centre to help guide us around on our evening out.
I would highly recommend staying here - plus the breakfast was great with plenty of choice.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled as a couple
iblack, General Manager at Novotel Manchester Centre, responded to this review, 19 May 2010
Thank you for your kind reviw. I was delighted you enjoyed your visit. I look forward to welcoming you back soon. Kind regards Iain Black
Wirral, United Kingdom
Reviewed 18 May 2010

Myself, husband and young baby stayed in the Novotel as my husband was taking part in the Great Manchester Run and we were thrilled with its location, right by the start and easy for myself and our baby to find a good viewing spot to watch the run.

The hotel is lovely, very clean and the staff were very friendly and helpful, particularly the lady on reception who sorted it so we could check out of our room at 4pm with no extra cost (despite it being very busy due to the Run), also the lady at the bar who helped us with a high chair and heated up baby food for us.

The room was ideal for what we wanted. It had a double bed with bed settee. The bed settee was actually made when we arrived but it was easily put away and therefore gave us plenty of room to set up our travel cot (I'm sure you could get a cot from the hotel but we prefer to take our own). Great power shower and separate toilet, hairdyer in the room and plugs actually near to the mirror (ladies will know where I'm coming from here!!).

The hotel has a gym on the fourth floor which unfortunately I didn't make it into and the restaurant was closed however you could order from the same menu in the bar or in your room. Food was really nice, we had the continental breakfast in our room (nice but not worth the money). We had ordered wholemeal toast for our baby but white arrived, room service were happy to bring up the wholemeal for us, again at no extra cost, nothing seemed to be a problem.

The hotel doesn't have a car park, which is the only down side, but there is a multi story car park right next door and if you stay in the hotel you get a discounted rate (£13 for 24 hours).

I would definately stay in this hotel again and I'd recommend it to anyone doing the Great Manchester Run next year, it's in the perfect location.

• Stayed May 2010, travelled with family
Iain B, General Manager at Novotel Manchester Centre, responded to this review, 11 December 2013
Thank you for your kind comments. Kind Regards Iain Black