“Ok”

Cuisines: British
Good for: Child-friendly
Dining options: Outdoor Seating
Reviewed 2 September 2013 via mobile

We went here during a trip to the museum. What I picked off the menu they didn't do anymore and it was the only thing I really liked the look of. I didn't really enjoy what I picked but it wasn't horrible just not to my taste. Kids enjoyed theyre meals and all meals looked appealing. Was sat near the door though that was open throughout so it was cold and no chance of moving tables as it was busy. Wouldn't go back as I feel it was overpriced for what you get.

Reviewed 2 August 2013

Cafe Muse (as per the sign out the front, run by Couture Manchester) offers reliable, fresh food in a convenient location, with indoor seating and space for children. Unfortunately, they often sell their sandwiches about a day later than they should (today's egg salad sandwich is, sadly, just going stale but is marked to sell until tomorrow), and during school holidays the place is often so packed that it's impossible to line up to order, let alone get a seat.

That said, I do like Cafe Muse, and go there at least once a week. Previous reviews have mentioned students, but with prices upwards of £5 for a (prepacked) sandwich and coffee, most of them are elsewhere. Lots of University staff and Museum patrons, however, who take advantage of the home-style dish-of-the-day, and often use to space for informal meetings.

There is always a hot meal offering including soups, stews, and roast meat sandwiches (all usually great options), but you will need to get in before the end of the lunch rush, as they tend to sell out.

The salads on the menu are generally nice, if somewhat overpriced for the portion size.

Tip: The best value meal (especially for hungry students on a budget) would be to share a bowl of the stew of the day with a friend. It's more than adequate for lunch, comes with two bits of bread to pad it out, and is usually packed with veggies and other good stuff.

The coffee used to be so-so, but has improved in recent months and is worth lining up for if you want to avoid the local chain.

Reviewed 12 May 2013

My daughter and I called into the Manchester Museum Cafe today. At 1.00 we ordered our meals. At 1.40, desperately hungry to the point of feeling rather faint, I pointed out to a waitress that they hadn't yet arrived, and that other people who had ordered after us had been served. We got an apology and a promise that the food would arrive in 5 minutes, which it did. We had paid when we ordered, and neither freebies nor a partial refund were offered. Our meals were unceremoniously plonked in front of us when they arrived, with not a whisper of "Sorry for the wait", or anything like that. The food was OK, but served on an impractically small wooden board. And for most of our 45-minute wait, we had to endure icy blasts from the street, due to a door that staff had wedged open. (Another customer shut it at one point, but a waitressed wedged it open again five minutes later.)

Do you know what? I won't be returning.

Reviewed 8 May 2013

this place is now called Cafe Muse. I called in late in the afternoon following a meeting that went through lunch, which can be a pain sometimes as nothing is left after 2.30pm. I can recommend the fish finger sandwich very nice and it was served with a nice salad. Service very prompt and food good what else is needed? Price not too expensive around £10 for sandwich plus a side salad and a nice coffee. Will call again

Reviewed 19 September 2012

Visited here today and will never visit again waited nearly 30 minutes for a roast sandwich which came on stale bread and was grissly, and to top it off surly rude staff when I only asked where my food was as I had been waiting nearly 30 minutes.

Very poor indeed!