“disappointed” 2 of 5 bubbles

Ranked #39 of 45 Dessert in Manchester
Price range: US$4 - US$19
Cuisines: Cafe, European, British
Good for: Child-friendly, Kids
Dining options: Lunch, Brunch, Breakfast, Highchairs Available, Reservations, Seating, Takeout, Waitstaff, Wheelchair Accessible
Description: Lovingly handmade cakes
“disappointed”
2 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 25 May 2014

Bit of a let down after reading the reviews on here. Someone took our order for drinks but then I had to go to the counter to ask to order food and the waitress seemed surprised at my asking!
The food arrived after 40 minutes, the manager said that was a little problem in the kitchen.
We ordered two hot sandwich, but they arrived very cold and, in the end, we had to pay for the total bill. was a real rip off.
Really disappointed!

1 Thank Scott F

• Greek first
“Awful”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 24 May 2014 via mobile

In our cramped corner of the cafe, we ordered two ham and cheese croissants only to find there were none left (despite seeing some in the display cabinet). After changing our order to a ham and cheese toastie and panini, drinks arrived. Served to us by two exceptionally grumpy waitresses. We were then made to wait 20 minutes for our food! On receipt it was in a word: underwhelming. It was something you could have easily produced in the comfort of your own kitchen with a salad of brown lettuce and soggy cucumber. Despite this disappointment we decided to wait for the chocolate mousse I had ordered. We waited for another 5 - 10 minutes whilst endless numbers of takeaway customers were served quickly and efficiently. When it finally came, I must admit it did look lovely with it's mini cream profiterole on top and a chocolate shape with the cafe name on it. With anticipation we dug in only to be extremely underwhelmed again. The chocolate mousse tasted very artificial with a strange aftertaste I can't quite name. The thin layer of chocolate sponge underneath was also quite artificial and very dry. The profiterole was the only part of the mousse I can genuinely say I enjoyed as the chocolate shape tasted very poor quality. Overall, a waste of £20 and somewhere to avoid.

1 Thank Emilia B
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom
“Patisserie Valerie is wearing no clothes........STAY AWAY!!!!!!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 18 May 2014

Being a long term, regular visitor to France and French patisseries in particular, after my 2nd visit to a Patisserie Valerie, I realise they merely are masquerading as a patisserie, largely inedible and bearing no resemblance to the real McCoy.

Don't bother patronising this mass market chain of run of the mill cafes.

NEVER AGAIN!!!!!!!!!!

• 2 of 5 bubbles
    • 2 of 5 bubbles
2 Thank Imjustatourist2
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Terrible Service, 25 minutes waiting for a toasted sandwich!”
1 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 16 May 2014

Just had a very bad experience. We deliberately chose to visit this PV as we really enjoyed our visit to another in Canterbury. Boy was that a mistake. This is a smaller and oddly wedge shaped restaurant. The tables are small and all set out for two people. Chairs uncomfortable and that becomes noticeable when you are kept waiting. You will be. I chose a Valerie Chicken and ham "club" sandwich, it's the most expensive one and costs £9.50. My wife chose smoked salmon and cream cheese bagel. Sandwiches come with salad and crisps. Er indoors received hers after a 20 min wait but no sign of mine. It arrived 5 minutes later and looked like it had been left in the panini press. It was near rock hard and definitely burnt in parts. I would have complained but didn't want to wait another 25 minutes. Meanwhile a young couple with a baby turned up and occupied the table next door which was so close I was privy to every word of their conversations. On cue the baby starts wailing. Frankly I nearly joined in! I don't consider the burnt offering I received was a "club" sandwich. I noticed many other sufferers being kept waiting. The cake we shared was nice, the tea was ok but by the time the cake turned up I just wanted to leave. Cost £26.10. To be honest I have had MUCH better sandwiches at Greggs! WON'T be going back but even worse I may never cross the threshold of a Patisserie Valerie ever again. We did plan to purchase some cakes on the way out but didn't bother. Frankly if a restaurant cannot serve up a simple sandwich it's time to give up. I gave the PV in Canterbury 5 Stars. I am only giving this a one star rating as I cannot go any lower. Sorry, just not good enough!

2 Thank btog
Manchester, United Kingdom
“Strawberries Fungus!!!”
3 of 5 bubbles Reviewed 9 May 2014

Great tasting cakes and desserts but guys take care with your fruit!
I purchased a fresh cream fruit gateaux and after keeping it refrigerated on the 2nd day i noticed fungus around the strawberries.

Please take care when using fresh fruit on your cakes. I am aware that fruits have a limited shelf life but this is why we should check our dates!

• Visited September 2013