“Food good but lots of little niggles”
Review of Thalassa by Mykonos - CLOSED

Thalassa by Mykonos
Cuisines: Greek
Dining options: Reservations
Dining options: Reservations
Reviewed 29 February 2012

We ordered the meze for four using two Groupon vouchers, and that was the first problem - apparently they'd taken all the voucher deals going at the same time with the result that it was very difficult to book a slot and we had to settle for eating at 9 p.m. which is on the late side for us.

First impression was that the restaurant's a bit unsure what it's trying to be - sorry but widescreen TVs showing soccer are NOT classy but it's not a cheap cafe either. The table mats were too large for the table when four were seated together and my wife had to avoid banging her head on an overhanging shelf.

Not having any kind of drinks menu was strange to say the least, they had no draught beer and only one bottled variety in small sizes, and the house wine was expensive at £12.99, so we gave it a miss.

The meze was a total of (I think) fifteen small courses including a small piece of baklava as dessert, and maybe it was one they'd put together for the Groupon offer but it was a bit light on meat, I certainly wouldn't have paid the price on the internet menu for it but having said that it was well-cooked and filling enough and we had nothing to complain about. Except that none of the dishes came with a spoon! I suppose we could have asked but it just seemed strange to not consider that customers might require a spoon to transfer from dish to plate.

The final niggle was that we couldn't pay with card because "the line was down". Well as it happens we didn't need a lot of cash, just for drinks and a tip but that was unusual to say the least, it might well have seriously inconvenienced others. However the young waiter was very friendly and approachable so no real service issues.

Overall not bad but not outstanding, but given that Manchester is intensely competitive for restaurants we probably wouldn't go again except with a voucher deal.

Reviewed 28 February 2012

I attempted to make a booking around 5pm today hoping for a table around 7pm. After dialing their number I was greeted with a message that said "mail box full." Kind of got the impression that the place had shut down. After attempting a few times to no avail, we  decided to make the 40 minute journey to see if the place was actually open.

Upon arriving to a very quiet restaurant around 630pm, I explained to the manager that I'd been attempting to ring to book and that I couldn't get through. He said that they were fully booked and asked what day would I like to book for. I was there for dinner that night and had no idea when in the future I'd like to visit!

I suggested to him that he invests some time in installing a better telephone service or employ someone to actually answer the phone. Not just turn the phone off just because the restaurant is full!

We walked out in disgust & dined elsewhere. 1 hour later as we were returning to our car we noticed the restaurant was still very empty. They turned our custom away unnecessarily and i won't be returning to a place that has no respect for it's customers.

The manager seriously needs some lessons in good manners & customer service.

Reviewed 20 February 2012

Went on a groupon deal on a quiet Tuesday afternoon. Were looked after very well from the moment we entered. We had a feast of 20 different dishes, most of which were very good, but a huge amount of food. A bit dissappointed to find that they don't have Greek beer or Greek wine, had to make do with a reasonable Spanish red. We would definitely go again.

Reviewed 20 February 2012

Dined here at the weekend and had the 15 course Meze which was ok, a little on the bland side.
The interior decor is very much that of a cafe rather than a restaurant with plastic placemats and paper serviettes on the table.
The service was good and the food was plenty. There is no drinks menu which seems odd as there are bottles of grey goose vodka and mercier champagne on display on the walls but nothing to let you know how much you would be expected to pay for them.
The first 6 dishes on the meze menu consist of salads, olives and dips and there was a very good selection of veggie dishes.
Probably wouldn't visit again as there is so much else to choose from in Manchester but couldn't say anything bad about the place or the food at all.