“Great Gallery”

Ranked #17 of 193 things to do in Manchester
More attraction details
Fee: No
Recommended length of visit: 1-2 hours
Owner description: From our historical collections to international contemporary art, we aim to bring fresh perspectives, encourage conversation and spark debate. Explore our collections of fine art, spanning six centuries and including many major modern and contemporary pieces. We are famous for 19th century British paintings, particularly our outstanding collection of Pre-Raphaelite works. Our decorative arts collections showcase the artistry, tastes and techniques of every era and culture, from ancient civilizations to today’s designer makers. Our collections of ceramics, silver, glass, furniture and costume are especially fine. We constantly renew and update our collections displays so you should discover something new every time you visit. And, we're free to visit!
Reviewed 11 August 2014

Loved this gallery, especially the contemporary art.

Great location, lovely building in great city. Will visit again.

Write a ReviewReviews (1,726)
All reviews
in 18 reviews
"vogue"
in 52 reviews

Reviewed 11 August 2014

This is a jewel in Manchester's crown.
Bright and airy, a good cafe, clean toilets.
The exhibition area's are changed quite frequently, so I find there's always something new for me to ponder at.
Free entry, donations can be given.
Definitely worth a visit if you're in Manchester.

1  Thank Phil B
Reviewed 10 August 2014

I try and pop into the Art Museum everytime I visit Manchester. I like the general feel of the museum. The staff are very friendly and smile a lot. The galeries are well organised and there is some additions every time I go. The temporary exhibitions are changed regularly.My favourites are the two Caneletto's. I really like his work.
The Stubbs with the cheetah is a fine painting. The fashion display was very interesting .

The cafe is good but the restaurant is even better.I had smoked haddock fishcakes. Very nice.
I could recommend a few hours here to anyone who has not been before. The volunteer led tours are well worth the time and it is interesting ti hear someone elses view on a painting.

Reviewed 8 August 2014 via mobile

Manchester Art Gallery is as good as any in England. It's centrally located so very easy to get to. It's well worth a visit.

1  Thank andyhill79