“I wouldn't wish this place upon my worst enemy!”

The Merchants Hotel
Ranked #104 of 120 Hotels in Manchester
Reviewed 7 August 2013

Myself and my business partner were working in Manchester for the night and stayed in this poor excuse for a hotel.
I had not gone with my business partner to check in as I was pre-occupied with work but I thought he was exaggerating when he said it was a dump.

However, on arriving at the hotel last night I immediately felt uneasy as the hotel was down a alley way next to a construction site and the alley was lined with litter and graffiti.
Upon entering the hotel we were greeted with a dusty staircase before we even got to the reception area.
I saw no sign of a lift and wondered what would happen if a disabled person was to stay there.

As we climbed the dangerously uneven stairs to the third floor and my business partner lead me down the corridor, I began to feel quite sick. It was absolutely filthy and the toilet and shower rooms were dirty, grubby and more like a Cupboard than a room.
I thought surely our room wouldn't be that bad and maybe the staff concentrate more on their cleanliness than the corridor's.

I stood by the door as my colleague put the key in the door and struggled to open it. It took 5 minutes to unlock and another 5 to lock it on the other side.
As we stepped into our room my heart sank. Not only was it a box room with a bed shoved into it but the room it's self was absolutely filthy. There was dust and dirt all along the skirting boards, the carpet was stained and faded, the pipes for the sink were rusted and dusty and there was stains, dirt, damp spots and even writing on the wall.
The room also smelt strange and unpleasant.
Thankfully the bed had clean sheets so we sat down onto it to notice it wasn't very stable at all. It was wooden slacks and I could feel them creaking with every movement I made.
We turned on the insult of a TV (which was basically the size of an iPad) and realised our remote was broken so it was stuck on one channel.
Giving up and feeling tired and dismayed by the fact we had paid £38 for somewhere worse than a hostel we lay down to get to sleep which I found difficult considering the small thin pillows.
I woke up this morning with neck pain because of this.

We decided, after contemplation to go and get breakfast and as we entered the dining room it became clear their impression of a "full continental breakfast" was a couple of basic cereals and toast which you had to make yourself. I had a small bowl of cereal and my colleague had toast which he pointed out the loaf of bread was best BEFORE today.

The breakfast room had 5 tables and the "hotel" had 23 rooms. It's just as well not everyone came down at the same time.
The milk and juice ran out half way through me eating my cereal. We sat for 20 minutes and there was no sign of staff coming to check if anything needed refilling.

I looked down at the floor of the breakfast room and noticed the carpet was caked in dirt. It looked a though it hadn't been cleaned in weeks. I looked up at the walls and noticed damp peeling wall paper and even more dirt.

As I felt sick I asked my colleague there and then if we could just get out of that place. He agreed, we grabbed our bags and had never been so happy to leave a place in our lives.

How that place has passed it's Health and safety regulations is beyond me and I'm in my right mind to report them to a health inspector for the appalling state of their so called hotel.
I've stayed in youth hostels in the past and even their standards have been sky high when compared to this place.
Never ever stay here, it's the worst hotel I've ever been to in my whole life.
I want my money back!

• Stayed: August 2013
4  Thank Lortayinterlude

Reviewed 6 August 2013

As we arrived to our hotel, we were shocked to see that we had to walk down a dark gloomy alley to arrive at the front door. There was litter everywhere, graffiti on the walls and when we finally decided to push the buzzer and enter the building things only got worse. The lobby smelt damp and dirty. The person on reception showed us too the breakfast room, where we were offered left over scraps from another guests breakfast. Having denied this generous offer we took a seat on the holy and dirty sofa, which was, to be fair, surprisingly comfy. Having walked past the kitchen which was dirty we thought we'd ask to see a room prior to our check in. The receptionist did explain that room hadn't been cleaned yet but we were more than welcome to take a look. He gave us a key and sent us too the room, when we found our own way there we unlocked the door and we were surprised to find a guest in the room, she did not seem best pleased. We apologised on behalf the incapable receptionist and shut the door. We used this same key to open the next room, which didn't fill us with confidence. The room was mouldy, damp and smelly. There was a thick layer of dust on top of the TV and there were cigarette butts in the room and on the windowsill, even though it was a no smoking hotel. There was writing and stains on the wall and when we walked out the room we were horrified to see mould all around the hotel. The shower room wasn't overly bad but the toilet room was dirty and full of pubic hairs. Having stayed in hostels I have seen some disgusting things but this poor excuse for a hotel was by far the worst thing I've ever seen. Having seen all this we went to the receptionist and explained why we did not want to stay in this room, he was unhelpful and rude and explained that we were not entitled to our money back. During our complaint he rudely ignored us to talk to other guests or rudely turned away and continued to do something on his computer. I would never recommend this hotel to anyone. Disgusting.

• Stayed: August 2013
2  Thank HannahandChris
Reviewed 29 July 2013 via mobile

There was no room then there was room. No towels no breakfast but clean bed. No working TV but for £27 would do you expect, so it up to you cheap and cheerfully. Staff was nice but be carefull as they charge for every thing extra. Check you card at end of stay.

1  Thank RyanGiggs82
Reviewed 19 July 2013

Went here on a stag do Very basic a little tatty but was comfortable and cheap which is all I wanted. Had breakfast included but was very basic . Was basically a hostel advertised as a hotel. Receptionist was helpful if not a little hard to understand the only thing is cos its down an ally in the city centre people pee in the main entrance of the hotel and it smell terrible! To be fair though that's not their fault. If you wanting somewhere cheep it's ok if you wanting a bit of luxury stay away!!!

Room Tip: Room 11 is the best room in the place by far!!!
  • Stayed: June 2013, travelled with friends
2  Thank Luke A
Reviewed 16 July 2013 via mobile

Me and my mum stayed here last night while going to see rihanna. It was cheap but the photos on website looked ok so we booked it. We arrived and straight away said we're not staying here were leaving. The guy said he would take the money off my mums card as she gave details when booking. So had no choice but to grin & bare it. We tried to own window and it nearly fell out, curtains were hanging off windows, furniture was knackered, dining room was disgusting (we did not eat there) anyway we slept there after concert that's the only time we spent there. We left by 8:00am. Got home only to discover I am covered in bed bug bites, absolutely disgusting!!! Wish I'd of lost the money & stayed else where now. This place needs shutting Down health & safety would have a field day. Do not book this hotel.

6  Thank Kirstystevelewis
Reviewed 14 July 2013 via mobile

It's not often I would consider writing such a harsh review. Most places have good points which I like to mention - here's the good point of the Merchants Hotel - it was close to where I needed to go.

Due to an incident on Oldham St we approached the hotel from the rear. This meant walking down a creepy back alleurinating men and entering the building via a staircase of what seemed to be a derelict fire exit. Once inside the reception was run down and dark.

The room was awful. I have never stayed in somewhere so neglected and generally dirty. The view from the window looked over the crumbling rear ofthe building.The room itself was pokey, dark, grubby and the door didn't lock. There were no towels in the bathroom.

The guy on reception was nice enough and for this reason I kept my calm while complaining.

We didn't stay for breakfast, although the kitchens, though old, looked clean enough.

This hotel is overpriced, dirty, possibly hazardous and actually a little scary.

4  Thank Melesmele
Reviewed 10 July 2013

Very basic a little tatty but was comfortable and cheap which is all I wanted. Had breakfast included basic but filled my tummy. Was basically a hostel advertised as a hotel. Receptionist was helpful if not a little hard to understand.

• Stayed: July 2013, travelled on business