“Horrendous! Disgusting! Vile!”

Ranked #101 of 118 Hotels in Manchester
Newton Abbot, United Kingdom
“Horrendous! Disgusting! Vile!”
Reviewed 8 March 2014

After only paying £50 for our room we were not expecting much however we did expect clean. Don't really know where to start with this repulsive hotel. Firstly the shower was thick with mould, the water trickled out and was freezing cold. The toilet was again very dirty as was the sink and don't even get me going on the clogged up toilet brush! Our room had rubbish under the bed, black hairs in the bed, a rotting window which was shaking as it was windy, holes in the wall, a broken chair, a dirty sink and worst of all there was faeces smeared over the wall. The hotel shown on the website is very misleading as we never saw any part of the nice hotel they advertise. Instead this hotel is down a back alley behind a morrisons local! Needless to say after a sleepless night we got up at 6am and travelled 5hrs home (we didn't dare go near breakfast!). When we returned home we emailed a complaint as during our stay we only ever saw 1 member of staff the whole time and that was when we checked in. Our reply from the hotel has threatened legal action and imprisonment! All because we told them we wanted our money back and told them the many many faults with their hotel!

• Stayed March 2014, travelled with friends
1 Thank Kate C

Traveller tips help you choose the right room.   Room tips (88)
Leeds, United Kingdom
Reviewed 26 February 2014

The previous bad reviews are correct.
I had to tick one star but would have preferred 0.
Do not stay here unless you have no money and are desperate for a room ! It is a hostel, filthy! Yes, it should be shut down. I felt dirty just being in there, I didn't stay the booked night as checked it once there.

Customer service is appalling. I spoke to the 'manager' on the desk to complain re a refund, he said that was how it is, no refund, policy, don't call again, hung upon me! Then again! Appalled! Never known a manager like this.
I've travelled a lot with my job, maybe I am spoilt? Not, don't think so. Just want a decent clean place to sleep.

I cannot believe Booking.com are still listing this hotel
Should have read the awful reviews.
BTW if the owner reads this you should sack or re-train your 'manager' !!

Stay here at your peril.

• Stayed February 2014, travelled solo
1 Thank ang00

Travellers are raving about these Manchester hotels

Moscow, Russia
Reviewed 26 January 2014

The room I was given was not bad(№17) May be because I'm a woman, and ordered 5 nights in this Guest house(not the hotel!). Yes, very simple furnishings, but no odors, or the dirty stains on the walls were not. It is true that towel issued once upon check in. No towel , no bed linen were changed. Cleaning for all time no one did, but the room was not dirty. I was glad that no one entered the room and touched my personal things that inevitably while cleaning. The toilet was in the hallway on the floor and shower in the room as I booked in advance. Staff friendly and willing to answer all questions and solve problems. Breakfast was the usual continental - coffee, juice, toast, even fruits. I liked that the door to the Guest house is closed around the clock, guests are provided with electronic keys. It gives a sense of security in the city centre. The location of the hotel completely gorgeous - 24-hour bus station, tram, all sights, the largest shopping centre, pubs and restaurants are in walking distance.

Room Tip: Second floor is better
  • Stayed January 2014, travelled solo
2 Thank 807Nadia807
Dublin, Ireland
Reviewed 23 January 2014

Visited some friends in Manchester last year and stayed here because it was central and cheap.

The room stunk, the shower flooded the bathroom, we had to ask for (threadbare) towels, the customer service was dire.

Those movies where children get sent to stay at their aunt's dilapidated house, this was it.

• Stayed April 2013, travelled as a couple
2 Thank Keith S
Sheffield, United Kingdom
Reviewed 19 January 2014

After spending Friday night there and reading all the negative reviews on Saturday morning whilst in the room. For £49 quid we had a twin room. The room was fine apart from the curtains just hanging onto the window by 2 hooks and a smashed bathroom door. The bathroom shower was OK but the rest of the bathroom was really dirty with very ominous yellowy stains on the bathroom wall. My advice to the manager would be to give each room a bloody clean, it is quite strange to stay in a hotel where no cleaning takes place.
Had to ring reception for a towel which they did bring straightway.
Staff were friendly enough. But please just give your hotel a really good clean. You have a such a great location.

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
Reviewed 14 January 2014

This hotel is absolutely rubbish. Very very dirty, staff not very helpful, rooms do not get cleaned daily, entrance smell of urine, very smelly rooms, window does not open, lipstick all over the wall, mattress very very old, no clothes hangers, breakfast is very very very very poor, they only give you one towel every day so basically you can't take a shower twice a day. You have to go to the reception to get a towel changed because they do not bother to change them themselves.

The only good thing is that it is in a very good location.

Never again

• Stayed January 2014, travelled with friends
2 Thank Steven_Cortis
Oswestry, United Kingdom
Reviewed 5 January 2014

This hotel should not be allowed to be open it was the worst place I'd ever walked into in my life , we checked in went to our room looked around and walked out our day was spoilt due to this as we ended up coming home this hotel should not be under the title of hotel but maybe a hostel for the homeless , the word dirty was to good for this place and I really feel someone from high rank inspectors needs to visit it !!!
I rated this a one but in honestly I wouldn't of even give it a one!
To anyone looking at this "hotel/hostel" to book a room I really advise you look some where else , Awful !!!!!!

Stayed January 2014, travelled as a couple